Female Lords mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people so keen on recreating oppression in fantasy? I just don't understand it. Why would you want to, in your fantasy world, ensure that the same kinds of unfairness are present? I invite you to meditate on this question.
Immersion and verisimilitude. If you don't understand the point of immersion in a game, I'm afraid I can't help you.

Also, I do find your entire argument pretty ridiculous considering the entire game is about grabbing peasants and sending them into the meatgrinder for the power fantasy of a social climber in a highly stratified society. Speak of selective outrage, I invite you to meditate on it before you try to lecture people again.

I think having more male and female nobles all around would be better than removing females. That way the AI wouldn't need to select 'non-combatant' ladies to lead parties when the 'shield maiden' and male nobles are all captured. Also a mechanic to replace 'non combatants' as leaders of parties with military lords and ladies when they become available again.

I think having more male and female nobles all around would be better than removing females. That way the AI wouldn't need to select 'non-combatant' ladies to lead parties when the 'shield maiden' and male nobles are all captured. Also a mechanic to replace 'non combatants' as leaders of parties with military lords and ladies when they become available again.

You're right, a Non combat NPC leading a war party should be something rare and extreme like a lady leading a 'vendetta' because her husband was executed or something like that but right now it happens to often.

Immersion and verisimilitude. If you don't understand the point of immersion in a game, I'm afraid I can't help you.

Also, I do find your entire argument pretty ridiculous considering the entire game is about grabbing peasants and sending them into the meatgrinder for the power fantasy of a social climber in a highly stratified society. Speak of selective outrage, I invite you to meditate on it before you try to lecture people again.

Only the point is not what immersion in a game is, but the idea that something other than what is represented now would provide a higher feeling of immersion based solely on personal preference.

Why are people so keen on recreating oppression in fantasy? I just don't understand it. Why would you want to, in your fantasy world, ensure that the same kinds of unfairness are present? I invite you to meditate on this question.

Projecting sexism on people that argue for historical accuracy is about as far fetched as the idea that historical accuracy applies to a fictional setting.

What's next? "Ransom brokers should be removed, they promote slavery"

There is no way for this not to turn into a ****show, eventually people will start projecting real life feelings or perceived issues into each other.

Yeah immersion is important. That doesn't explain why people have such issues with this fantasy world being slightly less sexist than the real world? Is equality inherently immersion-breaking for you?

You make a good point about class! However, I'm not here trying to make the game /more/ classist, and making it less classist would be a pretty major change to the mechanics and design of the game, whereas the issue of sexism is not inherently tied to the basic game design.

Yeah immersion is important. That doesn't explain why people have such issues with this fantasy world being slightly less sexist than the real world? Is equality inherently immersion-breaking for you?
It does explain it, you're just trying very hard not to see it because of your opinions.
People are pissed off by armors and weapons that actually existed but are not comprised in the years the setting is inspired of. Do you think it isn't explainable either ? Because it's a much smaller departure than depicting fighting females in societies that were heavily sexist.
You make a good point about class! However, I'm not here trying to make the game /more/ classist, and making it less classist would be a pretty major change to the mechanics and design of the game, whereas the issue of sexism is not inherently tied to the basic game design.
You're making a backward reasoning (obviously, now that TW removed the sexist elements in the game, they aren't basic to the game design, duh, that's the reason the thread exists to begin with).

Also, you're making a moral lecture toward people, basically telling them that their desire to a more authentic setting should make them ashamed due to sexism. I'm asking about the hypocrisy of singling sexism as immoral when much more immoral and conceptually pretty close concepts (slavery, classism, sacrificing hundred of people to give a single one more power, pillaging innocent villagers, killing conscripted people...) are much more prevalent in the game. The very basis of your moral posturing is hypocrital.

Last edited:
I personally couldn't care one way or the other but some players want to rp, and they want what they consider an immersive playthrough. Why not let him enjoy the game the way he wants and you enjoy it the way you want? This is a video game not some great societal issue we're discussing. Being inclusive means accepting people who don't think like you do. I invite you to mediate on this.

Personally prefer my fictional worlds more dystopian that utopian... having everybody behaving in a reasonable and tolerant fashion all the time does make the reasoning for conflict and the effects of said conflict a little less believable.

I would prefer it if different cultures behaved differently on this and other similar issues as a way of differentiating betweeen them.

"Medieval gender studies"

lol.. this "academia" just gets funnier every year.

Hollywood portrayals of Joan of Arc lead us to believe that she fought valiantly alongside the French soldiers, but Joan was actually just the person who held the banner as the soldiers fought. This is called history, you can get your masters in Medieval gender studies and it won't change that, although some would argue otherwise. 90% of this stuff is made up nonsense, modern sensibilities/ cultural Marxism. People did not view life as a quest for gender equality during the Middle Ages. This view is for people who do not read source material.

Last edited:
???????

The number of "males" feeling threatned on their masculinity on a fantasy game is incredible....

In case ppl don't know, there are girl who play vidoegames, that's why they had to place it on the game, thank god they don't speak up a lot on here or they would face lot of "macho-mans" here

"Medieval gender studies"

lol.. this "academia" just gets funnier every year.

Hollywood portrayals of Joan of Arc lead us to believe that she fought valiantly alongside the French soldiers, but Joan was actually just the person who held the banner as the soldiers fought. This is called history, you can get your masters in Medieval gender studies and it won't change that, although some would argue otherwise. 90% of this stuff is made up nonsense, modern sensibilities/ cultural Marxism. People did not view life as a quest for gender equality during the Middle Ages. This view is for people who do not read source material.

Joan may not have personally fought or killed anyone (though she was wounded twice), but she was indeed considered a commander.

And while it is true that the middle ages were not a quest for gender equality, women's roles were NOT limited to being slaves for the patriarchy, despite what some people think. Women could, and plenty did, become powerful in their own rights even with the deck stacked against them. It could depend on the views of the family they belonged to, but nonetheless they had options available.

Granted, these women generally didn't become powerful through military prowess. However, with the fairly minimalistic political system of Mount and Blade, portraying a completely realistic portrayal of women power might be beyond what it's capable of. So I think allowing them to become military commanders is a fair compromise. (That said, take a look at the abilities of Bannerlord's female nobles. Not all of them have stats for combat. Oftentimes, they are the girls who wear civie clothes on the profile screen. The ladies who ARE good fighters wear armor on the profile screen.)

???????

The number of "males" feeling threatned on their masculinity on a fantasy game is incredible....

In case ppl don't know, there are girl who play vidoegames, that's why they had to place it on the game, thank god they don't speak up a lot on here or they would face lot of "macho-mans" here

I am glad to see everyone enjoy Bannerlord in whatever way they want, it makes no difference in the world to me.

Talking about actual Medieval history is a completely different thing though. "Speaking up" or facing "macho mans" does not make an argument right, neither does claiming that males are "threatened" by their masculinity. I like the truth, I don't care about anything else.

Last edited:
Joan may not have personally fought or killed anyone (though she was wounded twice), but she was indeed considered a commander.

And while it is true that the middle ages were not a quest for gender equality, women's roles were NOT limited to being slaves for the patriarchy, despite what some people think. Women could, and plenty did, become powerful in their own rights even with the deck stacked against them. It could depend on the views of the family they belonged to, but nonetheless they had options available.

Granted, these women generally didn't become powerful through military prowess. However, with the fairly minimalistic political system of Mount and Blade, portraying a completely realistic portrayal of women power might be beyond what it's capable of. So I think allowing them to become military commanders is a fair compromise. (That said, take a look at the abilities of Bannerlord's female nobles. Not all of them have stats for combat. Oftentimes, they are the girls who wear civie clothes on the profile screen. The ladies who ARE good fighters wear armor on the profile screen.)

There's not a single culture in North American Indians that had women filling the role of the warrior, none. I suggest you do so more reading about cultural anthropology. This is not a patriarchal phenomenon, it's a product of natural selection.

There's not a single culture in North American Indians that had women filling the role of the warrior, none. I suggest you do so more reading about cultural anthropology. This is not a patriarchal phenomenon, it's a product of natural selection.

This is based on Medieval Europe (and a bit of Asia). North American Indians are irrelevant.

This is based on Medieval Europe (and a bit of Asia). North American Indians are irrelevant.

You are not understanding: North American Indians are relevant to the point.

Anthropological gender roles are consistent across 99% of human history. Patriarchal influence has nothing to do with gender discrimination, the vast majority of pre modern cultures were never gender role egalitarian. Again, I invite you to read about this. There is a reason why women fought little if ever, the tribe dies out without the next years birth cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom