• infantry and archers divided

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • infantry and archers united

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Adorno said:
pentagathus said:
At this time "warriors"  very rarely used bows. It was cowardly and to learn how to use a bow properly takes a hell of a long time. Longbowmen had to be trained from childhood so that they could simply use them. Javelins are a period weapon and maybe having Dane infantry armed with javelins and a separate missile tree.
I have read the opposite. Bows were commonly used, especially when boarding ships but also on the battlefield,
where some sagas refer to a 'missile phase' before the melee battle.
It's true that we have only have little 'written' evidence from before 10th century about the use of bows in battle,
but there is no reason to believe that bows were not used in battles.

"We know that the Vikings made use of the bow quite extensively both on land and at sea,
especially the Norwegians (recorded as 'Famous bowmen') and the Swedes
(the word 'bow' sometimes being used to denote a warrior in Sweden)".
Reference: http://www.regia.org/warfare/SaxonArchery.htm
Master bowmen can't suddenly have turned up around 10th century.
The tradition for use of bow in battle is probably very old, much older than the 8-9th century.
And of course it took a long time to learn how to use a bow, but practically all vikings handled a bow for hunting (and thus also battle).
More reference:
http://www.chichesterinc.com/TYMEAGAINSwordsetc.HTM
http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/articles/archery.html

When it comes to javelins, I haven't found anything supporting the use of that among vikings.
(Not saying that it wasn't used, I just don't know).

[/quote
Well seeing as normal hunting bows are next to useless against armoured warriors it's unlikely that all theese "viking" warriors used there hunting bows in battle. Good bowmen are useful in ship warfare but are also rare. Welsh longbowmen trained a lot and many ended up with messed up shoulders as they had to be traiened from childhood and this affected the way thier bones grew. So a warrior sould'nt simply be able to pick up a longbow at any stage in thier life and start shooting people with it.

Matrix33 said:
Well, I would give equal meele skills to standard grunt and archer type of warrior. I would just give little lighter armour to ranged warriors (for keeping game balance only).
It would make things more realistic in terms of real fighting abilities of Vikings bands and armies.

Just my 2 cents.

This would make Danes archers way too strong,I fear.Anyway we'll work on the gameplay and see what suit better.

@pentagathus:So this just mean that highest tier will use a longbow and the others will use a bow,as I wanted to do before.

Well, you could make them not very profficient with bows. In other words - they would know how to use bows but wouldn't be very accurate with it. I think it would be pretty accurate in terms of reality (I think Vikings weren't the best archers even they could use bows. Well, I think it was like this)
Just a suggestion

Suggestion :
It would be fun if the mod would have its own background music .2-4 songs ;perhaps its own textures too ?These are "extra"ideas , i mean these things aren't that important ,no priority :smile: but it would be fun if those would be added.

Songs,yes.But I don't know where to find some good celtic-style FREE for sharing music.
There's tons of new textures made by Ubberdorc and some others borrowed from other mods,I'm not sure what you mean with the "own textures".

I mean that the mod should have its own texture pack :smile: Without having to download other packs and install.To be implemented.The textures that you'r talking about will be added ?

FerdiadITA said:
Songs,yes.But I don't know where to find some good celtic-style FREE for sharing music.

I play celtic-style and American-style fiddle - I'd be happy to write and share some music for your mod! PM me.

FerdiadITA said:
The textures that I'm talking about are already in.Didn't notice the new items? :razz:

My fault , i didn't give enough information.I mean new textures (land textures , wall textures) environment textures , not item textures.That's part 2 :smile: .That's why i said " The mod should have its own texture pack , referring to these kind of textures ,plains , land et cetera)

When I find some time to play the mod,I use the Graphical Enhacement pack made by Zaro.
Of course I don't have anything wrong with something new,but it won't come from me(absolutely negate in texturing,or modelling).

christhawk is making somes for the mod already,but if you have some for free I'd like to hear them anyway(Maybe just for personal pleasure :smile:).

This is a fantastic mod, Ferdiad! I've been looking for something like this and nothing's been as good as this one!

Can't wait till you rename the cities & castles, and start the monastery business!

When do you think your next release will be?

This is a very good mod.  The de-emphasis of mounted units makes the gameplay quite different from Native and most other mods.  I look forward to a version with a bit more feel for the period, particularly proper names for locations :smile:

@Oghier:Thanks for the appreciation.

@HardCode:eek:k,thanks for the news.

@Adorno:It's probably what I'll do:a small update with correct names for the cities,some bugfixes and maybe minor updates.

Back
Top Bottom