Feature request: associative faction gains/losses

Users who are viewing this thread

I would request that this mod add associative faction gain / loss.

How this works is that any act that causes faction loss, also causes associative faction gain/loss with other nations that are sufficiently allied/enemy of that nation.

This is multiplied if the action affects that nation's status. 

This was something I tossed into Bandit King that worked very well.

Examples are :

If two nations are at war, and I destroy an army of one of the nation, my faction goes up with the nation that hates them somewhat.
If two nations are allied, and I harm one, the others also drop in faction with me a little.
If an army is laying siege to a city, and I destroy that army I gain double faction with the city's holder and the lords of that city.
If I destroy an army attempting to raze a village, I gain double faction with that village.

etc.

This gives you a chance to have factions naturally slide around.

The way I coded this was to have a function called 'faction_adjust_witnesses' which took the action location, target and amount of faction change.  it would then look to see if the act was witnessed, and if so, apply the faction adjustments.  That way, if you were in the woods and you destroyed a caravan and noone saw it... no witnesses, no crime.

Also applying these to NPC actions causes them to be a little less arbitrary and polar, as enemies will grow to like people who hate their enemies and grow to dislike people who hate their friends.

This sounds like a good idea, though generally in the Dark Ages, and medieval times as well, alliances tended to be detached somewhat; ultimately alliances are formed for the best of the factions. I would say this is a good idea, but this should drop to maybe minimal bonuses when going out of an alliance, as like I said; lasting alliances were rare, due to the best for the kingdoms generally being the highest priorities. The faction could be more likely to trust you though with future agreements and negotiations.

The main reason this is useful is that as the player you can raise faction with a target by attacking their enemies.  Much nicer way of going about it than grinding npc quests.

Yeah, I would tend to agree with that mind. It's kind of degrading to be a lord or even king and have to do lousy nooby quests over and over just so your allies will like you.

Back
Top Bottom