Favourite Nation during the Napoleonic Wars!

Users who are viewing this thread

jbebes said:
Vicccard said:
What do you mean by 'a real nation' ?

A nation that sends thousands of men into death and terrible pains to stop the Royal navy from pressing some old naval guys into the service?
Let's also not forget that the US ships helped deserters and that the Navy was mostly retaking those men.
Real nation as it can actually face a challenge of war and not crumble/let other nations fight out the fight.

How would you feel if lets say at peace time for you, some nation hopes on some ship that is used, and the nation says "We are just looking for deserters to help us fight some evil power". They board a ship, take your people who have done nothing wrong,  and take them into their army. Its like being slapped in the face.

Well, the US couldn't. They achieved eventually nothing, and then claimed they won the war. I bet the british claim the same...

Still, there's no logic in killing thousands to save a few.

Funny thing is USA declared war on Britain a few days after the British stopped pressing Americans into the Navy,of course,the time it takes for that message to travel from Britain to American is more than a few days,so pretty funny  :razz:

Best of all, the most known battle of the war (New orleans) was fought AFTER the peace treaty had been signed.

Yeah, War of 1812 was a pretty weird and useless war. I think nobody won.

Allright, we call it a draw, eh?

Vicccard said:
Best of all, the most known battle of the war (New orleans) was fought AFTER the peace treaty had been signed.

Yeah, War of 1812 was a pretty weird and useless war. I think nobody won.

Allright, we call it a draw, eh?

Draws are for the weak.

American losses

2,260 killed in action.
  4,505 wounded.
15,000 (est.)
  died from all causes.
Plus 3000 slaves freed by the British

British losses

1,600 killed in action.
3,679 wounded.
3,321 died from disease.

Some argue that the British achieved their military objectives in 1812 (by stopping the repeated American invasions of Canada) and that Canada retained her independence of the United States. By contrast, they say, the Americans suffered a defeat when their armies failed to achieve their war goal of seizing part or all of Canada. Additionally, they argue the US lost as it failed to stop impressment, which the British refused to repeal until the end of the Napoleonic Wars, and the US actions had no effect on the orders in council, which were rescinded before the war started.

Seems like a Brit win.

Great !!!Montenegro!!! of course!

The victorious Montenegrin soldiers killed 400 French farmers in the battle of Buczkuzki! -.-

Seriously now:
I'd say noone should have a favourite nation, because nationalism causes the downgrading of others. Every country in this Era contributed to development of warfare (if negatively or positively is your opinion)!

Undaunted said:
Seriously now:
I'd say noone should have a favourite nation, because nationalism causes the downgrading of others. Every country in this Era contributed to development of warfare (if negatively or positively is your opinion)!
Nationalism is fine, it plays a huge part in a lot of wars, if you like war, you'll like nationalism, if you are in a war, you'll have nationalism.

jbebes said:
Undaunted said:
Seriously now:
Nationalism is fine, it plays a huge part in a lot of wars, if you like war, you'll like nationalism, if you are in a war, you'll have nationalism.

Not necessarily. A large proportion, 1 third in fact, of the British army were Irish, a large amount of them against the english occupation. They joined because of Hunger, poverty, etc.

Even more joined for the Rum ration.

So no nationalism is required in soldiers!

Just sayin'.

Bluehawk said:
Hrmmm, yes, comparing eachother's **** sizes based on the blood-letting of our forefathers always makes me a little uncomfortable.

Wise words!

I didn't mean to say patriotism is bad (I support it), but in todays consesus NATIONALISM is a emotional binding to your country which also makes you feel superior to others. I don't like the idea of people supporting a country just because it killed more people in the past. War may be necessary from time to time, but great deeds are only done in peacetimes! Being a soldier is doing your duty, not supporting megalomania!

During the napoleonic wars my favourite nations/empires were The Memluk Sultanate in egypt and The ottomans in Turkey

"Favourite" nation is a peculiar way to put it, but for the majority of people their own nation or whatever nation they feel they have most in common with would usually be the answer.

Undaunted said:
Seriously now:
Nations were created to free people from exploitative foreign empires and monarchs, that some have used the concept of nationhood for bad ends, especially in the 20th Century, is obvious but hardly relevant to the question "Favourite Nation during the Napoleonic Wars!".
Bluehawk said:
Hrmmm, yes, comparing eachother's **** sizes based on the blood-letting of our forefathers always makes me a little uncomfortable.

Being embarrassed about displaying any pride or affection for your culture, heritage, history and the achievements of your ancestors is a curiously western disease.

In Britain you will either develop immunity to this marxist inspired malady with age/wisdom or you'll become a guardian reading, labour voting, self-loathing, sandal chewing, self righteous, statist, right on, fruitcake super liberal.

I suffer from no such nonsense.  :eek:

Rule Britannia.
And God Save Ireland!  :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIVSpY8xY9I

Also, Britain has the 95th Rifles, one of the finest bodies of troops to participate in the Napoleonic Wars.

lol orange uniforms? Their uniforms were dark blue :lol: officers had orange sashes and there were orange standards as Captured Joe stated. Still some damn sexy uniforms regardless.

Back
Top Bottom