Extremely low FPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Gylve

Banned
No matter what I'm doing (reducing textures, unchecking "Load Textures on Demand", putting M&B on a high-priority performance, etc), I get terrible FPS as the game progresses and even worse FPS (around 7-8 in normal battles of +100 soldiers and 5 or lower in sieges) when battling.

I don't know what else to do.

Here's my rlg_config:

first_time = 0

texture_detail = 90

render_buffer_size = 15

max_framerate = 65

start_windowed = 0

use_pixel_shaders = 1

use_vertex_shaders = 1

fake_reflections = 1

show_framerate = 1

use_ondemand_textures = 0

use_ondemand_textures_mt = 1

disable_music = 0

disable_sound = 0

disable_frequency_variation = 0

cheat_mode = 0

enable_blood = 1

enable_edit_mode = 0

force_single_threading = 1

debug_mode = 0

display_width = 0

display_height = 0

display_bits = 32

antialiasing = 0

sample_quality = 0

alpha2coverage = 0

force_vsync = 0

shadowmap_quality = 0

shader_quality = 1

postfx_dof = 0

postfx_hdr = 0

postfx_autoexp = 0

flora_degrade_distance = 100.0000

flora_lod_detail = 1

use_instancing = 0

use_secure_connection = 0

max_number_of_connections = 16

look_for_server_on_this_machine = 0

music_volume = 0.1888

sound_volume = 0.1816

mouse_sensitivity = 0.5000

invert_mouse = 0

enable_lighting = 1

enable_particles = 1

enable_blood = 1

enable_character_shadows = 1

enable_accurate_shadows = 1

number_of_corpses = 4

grass_density = 61

combat_speed = 3

friend_combat_difficulty = 1

adapter_format = 0

reduce_combat_ai = 0

reduce_campaign_ai = 0

combat_difficulty = 0

display_labels = 1

display_targeting_reticule = 1

display_attack_direction = 0

turn_camera_with_horse_in_first_person = 2

verbose_damage = 0

verbose_shot_difficulty = 1

battle_size = 0.2606

attack_direction_control = 2

defend_direction_control = 0

lance_control = 0

anisotropic_filtering = 1

enable_environment_shadows = 1

verbose_casualties = 0

verbose_experience = 0

realistic_shadows_on_plants = 1

number_of_ragdolls = 3

gamma = 2.0117

character_detail = 0.8517

character_shadow_detail = 0.6579

control_mouse_movement_y_scale = 1.5000

blood_stains = 1

use_winmm_audio = 0

enable_version_check = 1

enable_aspect_ratio_control = 1

realistic_headshots = 0

auto_gfx_quality = 0

enable_gamepad_vibration = 1

And my rlg_log (Was this necessary? Doesn't looks like it tells much).

Starting new log file.
Version:  1.163

Also, my specs are (I think):
Interl(R) HD Graphics 4000.
4GB of Ram.
Intel(R) Core(TM) CPU @ 1.80GHz (4 CPUs)

As you can tell, I'm not that good when it comes to computers, but I'd like to understand what to do to make this work better.

Other than the FPS issue, Odin's Cave (which has been resolved, as far as I heard) and the game randomly crashing (sometimes), I have really no other issue. Perhaps I'm lucky, because I heard many others with serious issues. As long as I return the FPS to normal I'm a happy costumer  :smile:

that's a pretty outdated integrated GPU (even the most current version of Intel HD graphics will just barely run this game if at all), not a good idea to have if you want to be doing any gaming. Dunno about the CPU, since you are pretty vague with the naming , but anything thats an i3 or above should be okay. Also I'm not sure how RAM intensive this particular game is, but generally 4gb of RAM is on the low end  these days.

Basically you need a better computer, frankly I'm surprised the game runs at all with that set-up.

rustyshakleford said:
that's a pretty outdated integrated GPU (even the most current version of Intel HD graphics will just barely run this game if at all), not a good idea to have if you want to be doing any gaming. Dunno about the CPU, since you are pretty vague with the naming , but anything thats an i3 or above should be okay. Also I'm not sure how RAM intensive this particular game is, but generally 4gb of RAM is on the low end  these days.

Basically you need a better computer, frankly I'm surprised the game runs at all with that set-up.

That's strange  :???:
It handles Skyrim pretty well on it's high settings. Same with Dragon Age, Total War: Medieval II and such. And in Native I never had any problems, even with armies of 800+.

Then either you made a mistake with the specs you posted above or I'm missing something, but with an Intel HD series integrated graphics its pretty much impossible to do things you claimed it did..

just for comparisons my old laptop that had an Intel I7, 8gb of RAM, and a dedicated Nvidia GTM630 graphics card (still very low end, but significantly better than any Intel integrated graphics) could only run native smoothly at lowest possible settings in 100+ man sieges, with any modern AAA games like Skyrim it could only manage a mix of medium/low settings.

rustyshakleford said:
Then either you made a mistake with the specs you posted above or I'm missing something, but with an Intel HD series integrated graphics its pretty much impossible to do things you claimed it did..

just for comparisons my old laptop that had an Intel I7, 8gb of RAM, and a dedicated Nvidia GTM630 graphics card (still very low end, but significantly better than any Intel integrated graphics) could only run native smoothly at lowest possible settings in 100+ man sieges, with any modern AAA games like Skyrim it could only manage a mix of medium/low settings.

I checked again, those are the specs. I've had issues with more recent games, it can't even run DAI, so I uninstalled the game, but anything from 2012 and further back is a-okay.

A friend of mine who studies Computer Engineering also told me I should get a better PC. I asked him to specify some of the specs, but he didn't. I also can't afford something too expensive and I'm aware good computers don't come cheap, so my only option would be to adjust what I have to accomodate Viking Conquest...

well if you do plan to upgrade at some point,I do suggest building your own PC, since its significantly cheaper if you shop around for parts and you can buy exactly what you need, not paying extra for something high end you don't need and not leaving anything out you want. Plenty of very good guides out there (look up Newegg's How to Build Your Own PC series), and the process doesn't require any technical knowledge beyond instruction following.

I was suggested the same thing by another friend, he said buying the individual parts and assembling them comes cheaper, but I don't know...I looked into it, a good graphics card was around 400€, it sets me back to imagine the rest of it in terms of price.

Even so, buying a new one or building it, I won't have enough money until at least February...what I need right now is a more immediate solution for this issue. Like messing around with the config, perhaps the Devs could work something up (because I've seen a lot of people with good computers complain of this same issue), try to tweak it somehow, I dunno. Like I said, Native runs absolutely fine with armies of even 800+, so I don't know why VC wouldn't aswell  :???:

Gylve said:
4GB of Ram.

Your computer is old. But you can fix it by just buying a cheap graphics card and you will be able to play VC on medium with 100-400 troops (depends on the card). When I say cheap I mean in the $40 to $80 bucks range.

Make sure you dont have a graphics card first tho. The HD Graphics is part of the CPU. You could have a graphics card and you just forgot to list it.

Using Steam: Steam menu, Help, System Information -> copy that and paste here

E.g: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%204026&IsNodeId=1&name=%2450%20-%20%2475&Order=PRICE

1.8 ghz CPU and u can run skyrim on high???????????? uhh what? min req for skyrim is 2.6ghz cpu i think, sure ur not thinking of morrowind? lol. and a Intel integrated GPU??? are you running a laptop?

EDIT:

Skyrim min requirements

MINIMUM:
Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
Memory: 2GB System RAM
Hard Disk Space: 6GB free HDD Space
Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
Sound: DirectX compatible sound card

k so apparently you might be able to run skyrim on medium (dual core 2.0 min but u got a quad)
but high? i can't see it, unless your stuttering low FPS lol.

kalarhan said:
Gylve said:
4GB of Ram.

Your computer is old. But you can fix it by just buying a cheap graphics card and you will be able to play VC on medium with 100-400 troops (depends on the card). When I say cheap I mean in the $40 to $80 bucks range.

Make sure you dont have a graphics card first tho. The HD Graphics is part of the CPU. You could have a graphics card and you just forgot to list it.

E.g: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%204026&IsNodeId=1&name=%2450%20-%20%2475&Order=PRICE

nah his computer isn't old, Integrated HD 4000 is recent, but seems to be a laptop

Alakeram said:
kalarhan said:
Gylve said:
4GB of Ram.

nah his computer isn't old, Integrated HD 4000 is recent, but seems to be a laptop

HD4000 is almost 3 years old. This kind of setup is good for web or to watch videos. Not soo much for games. I  have a laptop with a i5 and HD4000 besides my gaming PC.

A $50 bucks graphics card (new) with +1GB memory will make a HUGE difference. Instead of everything on lowest he will be able to play on medium with some on high settings.

hi,
I also have the problem of low fps which starts low at a 12 fps on map and then in battles under 100 is goes down to 8ish and then more than that (say a siege 120 vs 180 ) , it goes down to 5ish.
you can imagine , even though I have sucked it up and tried to keep going, it gets unbearable and swinging a weapon is a challenge.
not sure exactly what to tell you guys in regards to my laptops specs but il put some info on and if u need some more info to find out if it is just that my laptops too rubbish or not to play the game , just shout it out, no hard feelings cos I didn't shell out 800 quid for this laptop so don't worry theres no hard feelings.

Name=hp envy , 65 bit , windows 8, laptop
Processorr=intel core i7 4700mq cpu 2.4 ghz
Ram=12gb
Hard Drive space 1tb
Graphics=NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 840M

cheers matt

@HooTmaN
Well, that's surely helpful.

@kalarhan
-"Your computer is old. But you can fix it by just buying a cheap graphics card and you will be able to play VC on medium with 100-400 troops (depends on the card). When I say cheap I mean in the $40 to $80 bucks range."
I reckon that would take some time to replace or even build in? Anything you'd recommend in particular? If you have any specs, I'll take them.

-"Make sure you dont have a graphics card first tho. The HD Graphics is part of the CPU. You could have a graphics card and you just forgot to list it."
No idea how to properly check, but I looked for it. Not sure if this is what is needed:
25tj9r8.png

>Steam info:
Speed:  1795 Mhz
    4 logical processors
    2 physical processors
    HyperThreading:  Supported
    FCMOV:  Supported
    SSE2:  Supported
    SSE3:  Supported
    SSSE3:  Supported
    SSE4a:  Unsupported
    SSE41:  Supported
    SSE42:  Supported

Operating System Version:
    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    NTFS:  Supported
Video Card:
    Driver:  Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Driver Version:  9.17.10.2857
    DirectX Driver Version:  9.17.10.2857
    Driver Date: 13 Sept 2012
    OpenGL Version: 4.0
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    DirectX Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Number of Monitors:  1
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution:  1366 x 768
    Desktop Resolution: 1366 x 768
Memory:
    RAM:  3994 Mb
  Total Hard Disk Space Available:  953766 Mb
    Largest Free Hard Disk Block:  194473 Mb

@Alakeram
-"1.8 ghz CPU and u can run skyrim on high???????????? uhh what? min req for skyrim is 2.6ghz cpu i think, sure ur not thinking of morrowind? lol. and a Intel integrated GPU??? are you running a laptop?"
It stutters a bit on the Civil War quests...or at least it used to until I found a solution online. I don't have the extra HD texture pack installed, only the DLCs and the regular stuff. It handles it pretty normally, FPS is usually on 40-50 with some spikes that make it drop to 15-10 at random points, but not generally.
Maybe it's a miracle lol.

But then again, Skyrim isn't really the issue, the issue is that I can handle Native with many more troops and VC can't handle anything above 100...as I'm posting this, the game crashed and intermitently flashed between blackscreen and the game mid-battle before it crashed.

So...yeah.

@Idibil
It worked at first, but after entering another battle with my 112 men vs 304, it stuttered non-stop. Even got a new record, 3 FPS.

Idibil said:
Gylve, could you look at if problem is in all battles or maybe it is in sea battles or sieges?

I forgot to mention this:
-It's usually normal in Sea Battles (doesn't go under 20 if we're talking about a bad day)
-It's normal in Regular Battles on land as long as the number of people doesn't surpass the 100 in both sides
-It's always bad in Sieges, the FPS basically drops to 3-4 because of so many soldiers gathered in one place (which I assume is the problem, but it shouldn't be because Native runs 800+ soldiers just fine  :???:)

Me preocupa porque no tengo medios para comprar otro PC solo por un juego :/

1)
About Native -> its a 4 years old game built on a 6 years old engine. Your computer (a low end 3 years old spec) is quite good if you compare with the intended hardware for the original game.

The mods/DLC that are heavy on graphics and scripts tho... they will demand alot more ... they are also more recent and so they can use newer computers.

ACOK, Brytenwalda, VC, etc are examples of heavy mods/dlc.

2)
To choose a graphics card you need to inform your motherboard. And you are using a notebook (i3-3000 series). Trick to do it yourself. Best to pay 10 bucks on a computer store and ask them to install it for you.

(Btw I am a software engineer and I built all my computers since I was 13... many moons ago).

3)
Can you check your driver version? It may be outdated.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng

4)
How is your notebook temperature? I tried VC on mine and it got too close to the limit on a custom battle with 100 troops (all graphics as low). That is to say I wont be playing on my notebook lol (unless I use steam stream).

For what it's worth, I too suffer irreparable loss of frames while playing, and I'm very doubtful it's my PC. It's been mentioned a few times that there are memory leaks in it's current state. Perhaps by having much better machines, some people have dodged the bullet.

He isn't making it up and despite his setup it's a legitimate problem. See - http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,320976.0.html

kalarhan said:
1)
About Native -> its a 4 years old game built on a 6 years old engine. Your computer (a low end 3 years old spec) is quite good if you compare with the intended hardware for the original game.

The mods/DLC that are heavy on graphics and scripts tho... they will demand alot more ... they are also more recent and so they can use newer computers.

ACOK, Brytenwalda, VC, etc are examples of heavy mods/dlc.

2)
To choose a graphics card you need to inform your motherboard. And you are using a notebook (i3-3000 series). Trick to do it yourself. Best to pay 10 bucks on a computer store and ask them to install it for you.

(Btw I am a software engineer and I built all my computers since I was 13... many moons ago).

3)
Can you check your driver version? It may be outdated.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng

4)
How is your notebook temperature? I tried VC on mine and it got too close to the limit on a custom battle with 100 troops (all graphics as low). That is to say I wont be playing on my notebook lol (unless I use steam stream).

1)
I know my laptop isn't good enough, but I'd expect it to handle Sandbox RPGs pretty well, since it's not some 4th gen-tier game.
That's another thing I wanted to mention, the mods like Brytenwalda,  1257 AD, ACOK and other mods are handled pretty well. No stutters, no other issues, not even Brytenwalda with that gigantic cluster of a map. I don't know what the specific issue about VC is...

2)
Just had a conversation with that friend of mine who studies computer engineering, he told me I should invest in a new PC rather than try to change pieces on this one because it's nearly impossible to change stuff in a laptop....

3)
Can you check your driver version? It may be outdated. Sure thing, will update after doing it.

4)
Pretty good, actually. I have a gigantic cooler underneath, plus it's pretty cold here, so it's rather chill. In Summer this is an issue, however not in Winter  :smile:

UPDATE:
Got this, what the sh*t?
qysv9g.png

@Childe_Rolande
Thank you. I knew I wasn't paranoid about people with good computers having issues with the framerate.

Back
Top Bottom