Exercise regimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Like i said, i dont use belt. Plus, everytime i deadlift, my lower back pain is a ***** :???:
Hope i can improve more because im going to buy a belt today  :neutral:

Eternal Winter said:
Like i said, i dont use belt. Plus, everytime i deadlift, my lower back pain is a ***** :???:

Sounds like you need to focus on deadlift form using smaller weight higher reps. Try to find a weight (even if it seems piddly) that you can deadlift 10 to 15 times without the belt and without pain. Your posture is critical for deadlift; a bit too much bending or a bit too much upright and it will strain lower back else lower legs. Get your form habituated for a few sessions; then and only then start to edge up the weight in small increments. The value of squats and deadlift to your overall fitness is much greater than any upper body workout, so it is worth it to 'nurse' those abilities into line with the upper body stuff. It is a very common mistake to focus on the upper body for primarily vanity reasons, but in terms of actual health, strength and looks, you WILL benefit more by paying close attention to your deadlift but especially squats.

Eternal Winter said:
Either your form is wrong and you're going too heavy, or you have some other, more serious, problem.

Ambalon said:
Eternal Winter said:
Either your form is wrong and you're going too heavy, or you have some other, more serious, problem.
So, i am going too heavy, may be ?
Anthropoid said:
Eternal Winter said:

Sounds like you need to focus on deadlift form using smaller weight higher reps. Try to find a weight (even if it seems piddly) that you can deadlift 10 to 15 times without the belt and without pain. Your posture is critical for deadlift; a bit too much bending or a bit too much upright and it will strain lower back else lower legs. Get your form habituated for a few sessions; then and only then start to edge up the weight in small increments. The value of squats and deadlift to your overall fitness is much greater than any upper body workout, so it is worth it to 'nurse' those abilities into line with the upper body stuff. It is a very common mistake to focus on the upper body for primarily vanity reasons, but in terms of actual health, strength and looks, you WILL benefit more by paying close attention to your deadlift but especially squats.

I followed Stronglifts 5x5 program and every set i deadlift 5 reps only but i will take your advice  :mrgreen:

Deadift is probably the hardest form to master of any routine in the weight room, with squat being close.

I don't like the way the model hunches at the end of his lift, but this guys instructions are good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRRlk6264I

The key thing is: form. Go lower weight and focus on form, advance to higher weight SLOWLY. Do not rely on a belt to make up for bad form or to help you lift more than you are really ready to lift.

Eternal Winter said:
Possibly.
Anthropoid said:
The key thing is: form. Go lower weight and focus on form, advance to higher weight SLOWLY. Do not rely on a belt to make up for bad form or to help you lift more than you are really ready to lift.
This. You shouldn't rely on gloves, straps and belts. They only help hiding problems.

Ambalon said:
This. You shouldn't rely on gloves, straps and belts.

I might be repeating myself, but those are for girls anyway.

Eternal Winter said:

Not likely. Hard to tell what is wrong without a video. Be sure to make one of your squat too, people have some bizarre ideas about the acceptable depth for it.

I don't suggest that my (old) workout routine would be suitable to anybody else, but since you started a thread about resistance training.

I have in my old age and career stress got quite sedentary so don't confuse this with information about me now. But, I have at a couple points been in quite good shape. My main activity was caving, which is mostly about musculo-skeletal and mental endurance, but flexibility, coordination and some strength.

After following the typical path that many late teen and early 20s guys follow when they make their first adventures into the psychological hall-of-mirrors that is (or at least was) the tyical weight room, I eventually realized that resitance training to get big or truly 'powerful' strong did not serve me and my interests. For one thing I don't have the body for it, for another some joint problems that heavy workouts continually irritated/reinjured, and lastly, being Arnold does not help in a tight cave passage or on a 29-hour long caving trip.

For my purposes, I found my best resistance workout was about once per week, and lasted about 2 hours maybe up to 2.5 hours. I did all muscle groups in one session, generally striving to do three sets of each exercise, but for exercises that were 'auxillary' workouts of muscle groups two sets would suffice. At least 15 reps on 1st set but striving more toward 20, and slightly less on second and third set with slightly more weight. Probably never did more than 60% of 1RM; in general I was probably more in the 45% range. It may sound 'woosy' to never lift anything 'heavy,' i.e., never lift anything that really strains you, but having observed weight room culture, weight lifters and studied the stuff a good bit, I have concluded that lifting heavy weight is just about as useless as tits on a boar.

Go ahead and try to do ALL muscle groups (three variant workouts for the main muscle groups chest/back/gluts/quads/abs/lower back and at least two for the more distal muscle groups bi/tri/forearm/soleus, etc.) for 2 hours and tell me how exhausted you are after ward.

This is obviously the exact opposite of what 95% of resistance routines advise: 3 to 5 sets doing as close to 1RM as you can and striving for 6, 5, 3 reps or something like that.

If you are a powerlifter with hundreds of hours in the weight room, excellent form, and a good basic fitness level, those high %1RM workouts are great to build power. But if you are an average guy/gal it is most likely doing you wrong in a number of ways: 1. not building cardio or muscle endurance; 2. not giving a balanced metabolic workout; 3. possibly even promoting cardiac problems; 4. setting you up mentally for a path that you are not really going to culminate; 5. setting you up for increased risk of injury; and 6. via points 4 and 5, setting you up to burnout.

If you think about what our ancestors did during most of our natural history, lifting truly heavy weight was rarely ever part of it. Lifting moderate or even low/moderate weight repeatedly, for prolonged periods, along with walking/jogging/running for prolonged periods were CONSTANT parts of our natural history.

Eternal Winter said:

Lol.  A belt isn't going to make the back pain go away.  I think you need to read up on what a belt does :\.

There are two kinds of pain: good pain (DOMS) and bad pain (from a sprain or other injury).  I'm thinking you have the latter if you are claiming that it's a *****.  Working out despite having the latter is gonna **** you up even more and put you out of the gym for a long time.  Trust me- been there, done that. 

I'm not trying to be condescending or anything, but you're a nooby and I HIGHLY doubt your form for one of the most complex lifts is perfect.  I suggest you back away from the weight room a bit and try to find out how messed up your back in the first place.  Were you hyperextending your back at the top?  Did you start the lift with your lower back rounded?  Were your hips too low?  Do you just have a weak back?  Most people who havent trained before or just started, have weak backs and even weaker lower backs.

Once you find out what you did wrong, determine if you need to see a doctor.  And then next time you go back to the gym I suggest you follow Anthro's advice and work on your form with a light weight.  That should also strengthen your lower back.

My computer's sound is jacked up so I can't see Smitty's video, but Diesel Crew usually knows their ****.  This is the video I use for reference.  Not sure if this bodybuilding version of the deadlift caters to powerlifters or not.  That's up to you to decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u899wRnwqs

Fifth edit for the win!

Rugby season doesn't start for 9 months so I have freedom with what I want to do with my body (don't need to bulk like mad just yet).

Trying to decide if I should cut and go full on ottermode, or keep eating big and ignore the growing gut. Advice?

sup.jpg

Anthropoid said:
Deadift is probably the hardest form to master of any routine in the weight room, with squat being close.

I don't like the way the model hunches at the end of his lift, but this guys instructions are good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRRlk6264I

Watched it. Nice video, bro  :mrgreen:

Alenmare said:
Rugby season doesn't start for 9 months so I have freedom with what I want to do with my body (don't need to bulk like mad just yet).

Trying to decide if I should cut and go full on ottermode, or keep eating big and ignore the growing gut. Advice?

sup.jpg
Winter bulk.

Ambalon said:
Alenmare said:

sup.jpg
Winter bulk.

B-but six pack :sad:

Nah, I'll take your word for it. Keep lifting heavy and eating big.

I'd advise you to mind the gut closely. It'll tend to grow faster than you expect the older you get, so better to nip it in the bud.

Mage246 said:
I'd advise you to mind the gut closely. It'll tend to grow faster than you expect the older you get, so better to nip it in the bud.
If I'm not mistaken, Elenmare isn't even 20. And anyway, if he's eating at a 500kcal surplus he shouldn't put on much fat. However - and arguably - that might reduce his gains. Still, nothing a cut, hard work and dedication can't do.

Also, cutting from my pathetic bulk right now. Gotta unlock my otter for summer. Not to mention I've been plateauing hard, so that might help later on when I get back to bulking.

Ambalon said:
Mage246 said:
If I'm not mistaken, Elenmare isn't even 20. And anyway, if he's eating at a 500kcal surplus he shouldn't put on much fat. However - and arguably - that might reduce his gains. Still, nothing a cut, hard work and dedication can't do.

Also, cutting from my pathetic bulk right now. Gotta unlock my otter for summer. Not to mention I've been plateauing hard, so that might help later on when I get back to bulking.

Yeah, I'm hateteen. I hate the plateauing. After those easy early gains, it's frustrating so see so little progress as a reward for so much diligence. Alas. At least it seems to effect everyone equally.

AWdeV said:
Alenmare said:
Trying to decide if I should cut and go full on ottermode.

You're not hairy enough.

Working on it. If I can somehow even out my treasure trail....

Back
Top Bottom