Europa Universalis IV released!

Users who are viewing this thread

Just started writing an AAR with the Ottomans. Its my first aar but i'm trying to include as much commentary as i can, anyway leaving out the link here in case someome wants to check out http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?832298-The-Anatolian-Leopard-an-Ottoman-AAR

gokiller said:
Was a nice read! Will definitely keep an eye on it.
Really? Wow that's nice to hear. I'm happy if my readers both learn stuff+ enjoy reading it.

Btw if you guys have paradox account you could comment out on there too, I feel so lonely when there are 2 guys besides me commenting on the AAR  :razz:
Well if there would actually be enogh people I'd even make it semi-interactive, where I give out choices and people vote to direct the game...

edit: The 3rd part is written.

Sweet. That actually got me to do a Ottoman campaign myself. I found your approach towards Muscovy especially interesting as I never really went for goals like that while playing as the Ottomans. Most of the time not even bothering to go into the Crimea. But you showed me some alternative options that made it a lot more interesting to play as them. Cheers!

Got myself around 1520, might even do a restart because I'm not pleased with the decisions I made in the campaign. For instance I made the Crimea, Persia, Syria, Serbia and the Papal State my vassals. However at this point the Crimea and Syria are just way to big. All because I gave them tons of land from either the GH or the Mamelukes.... Which will be a pain for my Diplomatic P.  :evil:

On the otherhand, I managed to give the Papal state the entire south of Italy and Persia the majority of their land from the Timurids.

Main problem is now that I managed to get myself trapped between my own vassals...  :???:

gokiller said:
Sweet. That actually got me to do a Ottoman campaign myself. I found your approach towards Muscovy especially interesting as I never really went for goals like that while playing as the Ottomans. Most of the time not even bothering to go into the Crimea. But you showed me some alternative options that made it a lot more interesting to play as them. Cheers!

Got myself around 1520, might even do a restart because I'm not pleased with the decisions I made in the campaign. For instance I made the Crimea, Persia, Syria, Serbia and the Papal State my vassals. However at this point the Crimea and Syria are just way to big. All because I gave them tons of land from either the GH or the Mamelukes.... Which will be a pain for my Diplomatic P.  :evil:

On the otherhand, I managed to give the Papal state the entire south of Italy and Persia the majority of their land from the Timurids.

Main problem is now that I managed to get myself trapped between my own vassals...  :???:
Lol, I think you should do some coring yourself, since you're the Ottomans with cheap cores :lol:
If you read the last chapter of my AAR you can see how cheap coring is with tradition+administrative+claim
Btw, I don't normally play the Ottomans like that either but I'm going for the achievement to own "Constantinople,Rome,Moskova" as the Ottomans. I don't really want to deal with a big Russia so I prefer going that way first.
Anyway, if you have questions you can ask me, gl

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?832947-Nippon-Land-of-the-Rising-Sun-A-EU-IV-to-Vicky-2-Campaign

Intro, prologue and chapter one done. Probably do chapter two tomorrow. I'll post here when I update.

Cheers, and good luck. :wink:

Emh, my memory is failing me now, but haven't you done AARs in the past? If so, which? I definitely remember reading stuff from you and enjoying it, though I have no idea what it was right now.

Damn it. Thought you had written a EU3 AAR. Anyways I read the Japan AAR thus far, cool stuff, keep it up! I'd just like you to explain more specifically what you did regarding :

"I’ll also be modding the pips on late game Chinese units to Eastern unit equivelents, since Chinese units are still lacking in the current game. Sure, it’s not a problem with Ming, but I forsee slightly more limited manpower in my gameplay approach."

I'm not sure what the problem is, you're afraid Ming will be crippled with their chinese units? Do you forsee more limited manpower with Ming or yourself? I don't understand what's the relevance since you say you'll avoid them.

"Finally, I will be using the console and savegame editing to fix gameplay restrictions. This will be within historical scope and is not to make the game any easier."

What exact gameplay restrictions are you talking about / planning to fix? What sorts of console commands and savegame edits?

Ah, I'll probably address it as it comes. I basically modded all of the non-western/eastern/muslim units, including indian and north american so that the final units have additional shock to be only one pip below Western. It just bugged me that even if I westernized, my units would still suck.

In regards to the console, it's to fix funky stuff like certain regions out of range due to port placement in panama, not able to move capital overseas from siberia to crimea (not in this game, I had a mongol khanate game where that was an odd restriction). Generally, nothing big. I might use it if there's certain wars that happen and I want to create an unequal treaty situation. I'll address it if it comes up. Tag switches, occasional yesman, Nothing like just cheating in cash/monarch points, automatic coring, etc.

LittleJP said:
Ah, I'll probably address it as it comes. I basically modded all of the non-western/eastern/muslim units, including indian and north american so that the final units have additional shock to be only one pip below Western. It just bugged me that even if I westernized, my units would still suck.

In regards to the console, it's to fix funky stuff like certain regions out of range due to port placement in panama, not able to move capital overseas from siberia to crimea (not in this game, I had a mongol khanate game where that was an odd restriction). Generally, nothing big. I might use it if there's certain wars that happen and I want to create an unequal treaty situation. I'll address it if it comes up. Tag switches, occasional yesman, Nothing like just cheating in cash/monarch points, automatic coring, etc.
They wouldn't? There is only like 2 pip difference IIRC also again IIRC all techs have a specific tech that their units are stronger than the rest.

Chinese units in particular do not. I actually buffed the shock to Chinese units a little more. Nothing like banzai charges to remind those English of fighting Scots.
I'll still get screwed in the fire phase unless I have superior artillery, so it's not like I have a massive advantage. It means I put my focus on cold steel.

Anyway, chapter two up in about three hours.

So I just finished a game as Portugal, doing something a bit different from what I normally do, focusing on trade and having colonization as an actual focus rather than a sideshow. Wound up owning just about all of South and Central America, as well as various chunks around the world. In the last hundred years or so I managed to ally myself with France just before Spain attacked me, and by the end I owned most of the Iberian, with France owning the Pyrenees and myself having most of the rest. Spain had 4 provinces left and Aragon was released so France didn't get arbitrarily mad at me for border friction.

Overall I enjoyed the challenge, and the break from my normal, continental bound games. The two things I hated were the reliance on trade, which caused me a few panicky moments, and the small size of my army. Until 1750 when I owned 2/3 of Spain I only had 60.000 men to keep order around the world. It was more of a relaxing game than the others though, since I only had to worry about keeping wither Spain or France off of my back, and it worked out that whenever I had to bail on one I could join the other no problem, up until the last century of play. I spent quite a bit of time just scrolling around the map and building up my provinces, since I could afford to do that more than other games. Most enjoyable part was when I took a break and found out where the tea I drink is grown, came back and waged a ten year war in China to take a couple of tea producing provinces because I was hunting for something to do.

Back
Top Bottom