Enhancing Horses (updated 26th Jan 2007)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi ^_^ I have a few additional suggestions for horses, that don't seem to be covered in here yet.

1. When you run your horse into something that it has to stop (trees, rocks, other horses, troops sometimes), it should get some damage, depending on speed and the object (more for a rock, less for a footsoldier).

2. When your horse rears up without you giving it the command to do so (because you rode it into something) there should be a chance for you to fall from your horse, depending on horsespeed and riding skill.

3. When you fall from your horse, you should get some damage, more with heavy armor.

4. Horses should have a limit for the weight of equipment you are carrying, after which they get slower, less maneureable on the battlefield. Warhorses/Charger have a higher limit than for example a Courser. (plays into stamina I guess)

5. When I run my horse into the side of another horse, and my horse is heavier, the other horse should fall down.

6. Lances should break after a few runthroughs.

7. Troops with lances should switch to a melee weapon when in melee/surrounded, just like archers do.

The last two are not really horses, but I didn't want to make a new topic just for those and you need a horse to use a lance anyway ^_^

NED:
Stables are included in the suggestions, more for recovering an injured horse, but if they are implimented, it would make sense to allow horse storage in them. Good suggestion nevertheless ::smile:

Yiselda:
1) Horses would naturally try to avoid these obsticles by themselves, and would not mostly suicide-crash into a tree if the rider doesn't turn them (in reality), and regarding foot-soldiers, this was discussed a few posts above, but to recap it, it wouldn't hurt the horse that much to smash into a human. (Although it will if the human sticks a sword out)

2) Perhaps for very poor riding skill, but its not as easy to fall from a rearing horse as some Hollywood movies make it out to be so ::smile: Falling off due to damage inflicted (ie. the impulse) has just been recently suggested, discussed, and a model put in the suggestions however ::smile:

3) This has been discussed in the last "Enhancing horses" thread I believe (and a few others).. Bottom line is, the chance of sustaining injuries that can be called 'damage' (not a bruise and a scratch), although possible, are very low - to an extent of perhaps 1 in several thousand chance. A short stun effect is possible, and is already included in the suggestion list ::smile:

4) Very good suggestion, however already included in the initial post (its called encumberance) ::smile: Infact, a lot of the suggestions, structure themselves AROUND encumberance - which would be a great implimentation for both mounted and infantry troops.

5) Another good suggestion, and also already included in the initial post (reaction to pain, horses are able to be knocked down by other heavier horses). Your horse does not even have to be heavier - just push directly from the side of your opponent's horse ::smile:

6 and 7) Item durability, discussed and I support it, however it should go into another thread, (search for item durability / breaking lances etc.) that way the suggestion would actually be heard, discussed, and you would be loved for not creating a new thread ::smile: This thread, is just for improvements on horses, and general horse riding engine. Item durability and troop AI, would fall under those, whether they are mounted or not ::smile:

Volkier said:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional suggestions made by other players (and meself) throughout the post

* Horse skill Horse Temperament : governs how fast you regain control of a horse reacting to pain
* Battle skill Horse Switch : ability to switch horses mid-battle just like weapons from making use of the inventory chest on the battlefield. (Or allowing a 'base camp' with spare horses, guarded by X ammount of troops, which enemies could take over / steal etc.)
* Horse training Making use of already-existant tasks to train horses : example was the current tournament, however I personally think this may clash with the people who don't want horse training
* Horses in battle Don't disappear ::razz:
* Horses in battle Move around when rideless
* Horse breeding Building your own keep / stables : privately owned place to breed / raise / train your own horses.
* Horse skill Ability to equip different armor : As in title, although encumberance ought to be introduced before this is in effect.
* Horse customisation Naming your horse, choosing color of horses
* Horses in battle Active rearing in defence : Horses can be made to rear or just rear by themselves in defence. Anyone that comes too close directly in front would get hit by the hooves, however this should not do initial damage and should only be used as a defencive maneur.
* Horses in battle Physical laws on horses : Horses can be knocked down by another horse charging into the side, rather than both rearing. Removal of over-rearing which currently happens in the most unrealistic circumstanses.
* Horses graphics No bridles on : Horses currently are equipped with a head-collar, not bridle in game. Whereas its not that difficult to ride a horse with head-collar instead of the bridle, I'm pretty sure that bridles would have been used in most battles ::smile:
* Horses graphics Horses somewhat skinny : Whereas height-wise they seem to be ok (although an extra hand or two wouldn't hurt) horses are not too proportional in their length / width. Obviously different breeds are of different size, however the current body proportion is somewhat doubtful.
* Horse equipment Armor : Discussed in a few other threads, I'll just dump it here with the rest of the horse suggestions ::smile: In other words, different slots for horses to wear armor, and different armor to equip in those slots.
* Horse equipment Saddles : Saddles would further improve the different playstyle by different players, by contributing to the AC over movement value. For example, a plain cloth saddle would be 0 AC, however since its thin and light, it would provide better control of the horse (in terms of maneurability or riding skill) whilst a heavy jousting wooden saddle, would increase AC, but since its large, bulky and the horse can't really feel the rider, the maneurability (or riding skill) would decrease.
* Horse physics encumberance : This would be really nessesary to balance out most of the above suggestions. Encumberance would basically distinguish the difference between AC and how maneurable / agile the horse (and the human) is. For example, a player who wants to equip really heavy weapons, armor, armor for horse etc. would be a sort of walking tank, but would not be very maneurable with or without the horse. Another player who doesnt wear anything (you know what I mean) and has an un-armored horse, would feel pain alot more, but he, and the horse, would be able to avoid the source of pain in the first place (if both know what they doing ::razz:) This would affect all armor suggestions, all combat abilities (such as rearing) suggestion, all physics suggestions... heck almost all suggestions mentioned ::grin:
* Horse equipment personalised food Separate food box for horses, along with separate food (eg. grain for horse, cookie for j00)
* Horse in battle rider AI Dismounted footmen automatically mount the horse of their fallen foes. (Providing the horses stay after the rider is killed) - Same applies for tournaments (*automatically without being ordered to)
* Horse in battle Kicking out in defence Happens when the horse feels threatened from behind, and/or in some cases of experiencing pain. Knocks down the opponent dealing 0 damage (unless the kick lands in the head and the enemy is not wearing armor) since thats about as much pain as you will feel on short term.
* This can be included in reaction to pain, since a horse may turn on the spot and kick out at somebody attacking the side.. The disadvantage of this can obviously be that the horse will make itself vulnerable from the other side (if surrounded), and rider normally does not have control of :responce(s) to pain:
* Horse's Rider Leaning from saddle Can lean left / right / forward in the saddle (crouch can be forward, 2 additional keys for leaning left right?) to provide extra range, and / or cover / dodge from arrows when no shield equipped.
- If the rider is leaning forward during the charge, the rider is a smaller target for arrows. They would also be able to lean to the left to make their target smaller to cavalry archer's arrows which are shot from the right, and vise versa.
- Rider can lean out of the saddle left / right to increase the range of their swords. Obviously they are more vulnerable to melee from the side they are leaning on. Riders can lean forward to increase the range of their lance, but would not be able to look much to the left / right.
- Riders who are leaning left / right have a chance of being thrown off the horse, should the horse jump/spin in the opposite reaction, in regards to reaction from pain, should that be implimented.

* Horse Care Horseshoes / Blacksmiths Towns would each have a blacksmith. Each Blacksmith would be able to shoe the horse to improve its speed / maneurability etc. Possible advantages would be horse speed, maneurability, lower fall damage. Players would be able to buy more expencive shoes, however all shoes will eventually wear out to the same (basic) level. This would encourage people to re-visit blacksmiths, find a blacksmith who makes higher quality shoes, or simply not care ::grin:
* Horses AI Horse as a separate AI Kiggles explains this quite well in this thread ::smile:
* Horses hit box Damage Horses have unrealistically low hit points

To add to that, I suggest implimenting head, neck, legs hitboxes for horses.

Also, separating the horse and rider hit-boxes, (or an equilavent) as discussed in Tweaking hitboxes thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT - 13 APR 2006 Just a little 'glitch' I would say, units are able to 'punch' a horse to death.[/b]

* Horses hit box Damage cap Suggested a minimal and maximum "cap" on the ammount of damage a horse can take, depending on the damage type and weapon used. Some weapons and damage type such as blunt hits don't do much to horses in reality, and vice versa. The cap is NOT affected by the skill / speed of the character, HOWEVER the higher the skill / speed, the more chance there is for a higher damage score. For example:
- Sword / slashing : Min 3, Max 18 (less than average)
- Sword / stabbing : Min 15, Max 40 (more than average)
- Axe / slashing : Min 10, Max 38
- Spear / stabbing : Min 24, Max 60
- Spear / couched : Min 40, Max 999
- Poleaxe / Stabbing : Min 3, Max 20
- Poleaxe / slashing : Min 3, Max 25
- Poleaxe / couced : Min 40, Max 60 (since poleaxe slips to the side ::razz:)
- Knife / stab : Min 1, Max 15
- Knife / slash : Min 1, Max 10
- Arrow / stab : Min 1, Max 20
- Javelin / stab : Min 10, Max 35
- Throwing knifes : Min 1, Max 10
- Blunt attacks : Min 0, Max 5
- Armor and other attributes can obviously lower the minimal damage, with up to maximum of minus 10 to the damage taken.

Idea behind this, is that a high skill does not guarantee an unrealistic horse kill in a few hits, and an armored charger is not invincible against certain attacks. It also makes spears useful as a weapon for infantry against cavalry, and hitting a horse with a club would not eventually kill it etc. (All numbers are on a rough example basis)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT - 14 Apr 2006
* Horses movement in battle Reasoned rather than random movement Currently the horses will move around the battlefield when not mounted completely randomly. Whereas it does add to the whole battle effect, it would really enhance the practical part if the direction and movement of the horse had a reason. Proposed suggestions:
  - Horses will attempt to stay close to their master (when dismounted)
  - Horses whose rider has been killed will run away from a large group of people / fighting at random (as is currently the case)
  - Horses will not run away, and may walk towards any single unit, if there are no other units / fights around

** This would not apply once/if ever horse training is implimented, therefore is a temporary/permanent suggestion respectively ::smile:

EDIT - 19 Apr 2006
* Horse control Jumping out of saddle Possibly allow players to jump out of the saddle at any time (whether the horse is moving / standing still). This should be restricted by encumberance for obvious reasons ::smile:

EDIT - 23 Apr 2006

* Riding Being knocked off the horse This would function as described below:
    *** Restriction of riding skill is removed, meaning a player with any riding skill can ride a horse with any riding skill requirement.
    *** Riding skill still provides a bonus to the speed / maneurability of the horse.
    *** Riding skill now will provide a penalty to the speed / maneurability if the rider's skill is below the horse's requred skill.

Falling off the horse, would be possible if the rider's skill is the same and/or below that of the horse's required skill, and when the player is hit. Simple model:

*** Rider skill < horse requirement, --> Rider falls off if they take 5-10 damage
    *** Rider skill = horse requirement, --> Rider falls off if they take 25-30 damage
    *** Rider skill > horse requirement, --> Rider falls off if they take 55+ damage

Using this system as an example, a player who has a riding skill of 1, and is riding a charger, would be knocked off easily with most hits. A player who has a riding skill of 3, and is riding a hunter, would take most hits encountered during combat, but would still be knocked off if they are hit hard enough with a heavy axe / headshot. The same player, who would have 4+ riding skill, and riding the same hunter, would stay on throughout almost any hit. However, there is still allways a chance to be knocked off if they are hit for over 55 damage, which would normally mean a direct couched lance from the enemy, or something very hard..

--- side note --- Regular falling off, although still existing in reality, would be a good point of discussion when horses behave realistically - ie. jump backwards / react to pain / defend themselves / throw the rider off-balance etc. -  and once the horse's calmness (as skill) could perhaps be improved on, and eventually which would still occur extremely rare, therefore there does not seem to be any points within discussion regarding that aspect at this time.

* Rider Skill Impact resistance - Each point of this skill gives a 3% chance of resisting the knock-down impact and gives +1 point to how much damage a player needs to take, in order to be knocked off. This would work in par with the above mentioned suggestion.

I agree with most of that, but raising horses? This is mount and blade, not a chiapet.

Thats the consolidated list of suggestions that people on the forum have brought up, and that within realistic proportions.
It may, and may not interest some players, but as long as it is completely optional, and is just a form of tradeskill, which some players do want (and are debating about)..

Personally, I would use it if its implimented, while some others will not, but as long as its 100% optional, and does not force anyone to use it, I don't see a problem ::smile: (just my personal thoughts on this)

About jumping off the horse, will I take less damage if I have greater AGI or Athletics (those agility-based things) and Riding? I always want to do this cause it looks cool :cool:

Are you talking about real life or in game? ::razz:
In game is being suggested so you can't do that now..
In real life, just being used to jumping off a horse is pretty much all you need ::razz: (Or any other moving objects, like trains / bicycles / quad-bikes / something going around 30kph is a good start ::grin: )

Real life, matey! I jumped off a truck today and whew, I took no damage. (That driver refused to stop. Fortunately it was driving very slow.)

Can I have a very aggressive horse that attack (in-defense) incoming enemies? About breeding, I always thought I could have an ultimate-by-birth horse by mixing the gene until the best comes out.

Pedigree does affect the temperament to an extent, however if its "feral" temperamet you want, you would probably get one from a "feral" mare - of any breed (more because in the early stages, the foal spends a lot of time with his / her mother, and therefore 'learns' to do what mom does. (like father like son or in this case, rather like mother like child ::grin:) Some foals of certain stallions, have also been known to be "bad tempered" every season.. Overal however, it still mostly depends on every individual horse's temperament - pretty much similar with humans..

Remember as well, that 'bad' temperament does not always mean the horse would be good in combat or stressful situation. The horse, may infact decide that he is better off without a rider in such instance, and will not nessesarily defend the rider. An intelligent horse, who trusts the rider, or even better, who is protective of the rider, would probably be a good choice for "combat". (In the world of today, I personally experience this a lot in horses who have had **** abusive owners before, and whom you manage to "save" and re-train, since such horses usually tend to become really attached to the trainer, while are sometimes still scared of certain things / people)

Lastly, every country has been beeding the their own pedigree of war-horses, each with their own plusses and minuses.. So, no, I don't think there is an overall the best 'combat horse breed', but every horse would have an advantage in certain situations and conditions (such as desert-land, mountains etc.)

Oh and would it be possible if you can PM me with any more questions you may have? Just to keep the thread to the topic of suggestions ::smile:
(some people get annoyed about this here easily ::razz: )

Thanks Volkier. You inspired me a lot on how to apply them for the game.

I mean, have behavioral prefixes in horse titles that affect their style in combat. Like what I said. Stubborn and Aggressive horses tend to run against people (not only enemies) (that's not you, if trained properly). Lightly-trained horses are usually cowards and run away like what they did in the wild/as a little foal. Intelligent horses (very hard to buy something like that) tend to stay at place and run away only when needed, charge if it knows it will deal damage and don't die.

Then about the pedigree-for-war thing you said. How about having Vaegir and Swadia use those special horses in combat and not for sale anywhere? Like Swadian Courser, Vaegir Hunter, etc. (Must kill its rider and steal it to get it)

Trust? My to-game suggestion is, its obedience to you will raise over time you own and feed it, making it easier to train. (no training boost, it just accepts your commands better.)

If anyone wants to ask, I got the crossbreeding idea from a local horse race where there are many crossbred horses up in the race.

The following is added to the suggestion list:

EDIT - 09 May 2006
* Horse Breeds Specific breeds to sides (swadians / vaegirs) Proposed specific breeds used only by vaegirs and swadian cavalry. Access to these for players, could be through joining one of the said factions, and achieving a high rank (to recieve such horses), looting after combat (although this would mean a very rare - to probably 0% chance to get any bonus stats, such as heavy or spirited), possibly black market (if such is introduced), or just a rare in regular shops. (eg: swadian courser / vaegir hunter / khergit steppe horse). The horses may differ in an increase in certain stats, and perhaps armor graphics (untill / unless equippable armor is introduced)

The training part, is pretty much already covered in the initial suggestion. Temperament-base, would be covered better in training, since an agressive horse can also get attached to the trainer, but remain aggressive to everyone else. Then you could have a mix of aggressive / intelligent etc. - hence it becomes too complicated to rely on the written stats. Horse breeding is also already covered in the suggestions ::smile:

As for cross-breeding, there are actually maybe only 1 or 2 breeds left in the world, (such as the American Mustang) that are 'pure' and are not a product of cross-breeding ::smile: So even a 'purebred thoroughbred' is a crossbred, since the breed was created in the... err.. 17th or 18th century if I remember correctly? ::grin:

Thanks for the input Thaimodz

How about, having some stats of the horse drop a bit if it becomes inactive?

Inactivity includes, but not limited to:
-Keeping a horse at stable, without training.
-Horse Starvation

Like speed, charge, max stamina and strength will drop. If you keep it with your party, however, these stats won't rise but won't drop because it's frequently used.

Preventing inactivity: We could put some trustworthy people to attend the horses with feeding (not with steroids!) and training just to keep the regular stats normal and won't drop. However, its loyalty to you will drop if you don't go see it once in a while, and might become stubborn to you (and might complain..).....

The horse kicks!!
Received 2 damage
Black Horse: "That peasant bastard treats me lame! He even writes my loyalty and value in NUMBERS!! You should watch over him! I won't let you ride till I think I can trust you AND your slaves! That Peasant also eats my friends' meat!"
White Horse: "Yeah yeah!! Treat us better! Or just kill off that peasant who works in your farm!"
Brown Horse: "You let those Khergit attack our castle! Especially our beloved grass fields! They walked on it and ruined it!!!"

If you want to increase stats however, you must train them yourselves.

Would be realistic, however this was discussed with the player skills before, and many people did not want such an implimentation, so it would be good if horses functioned just the same as humans in game.. So it would be a good idea but probably only if a similar system is implimented for everything else (which is not too popular at this moment) ::smile:

One of the issues which I know is important is the fact that horses should not run into fixed objects. But, the AI mounted units do this as well, so it would seem to me that a general fix is necessary (I haven't seen a foot soldier run into a tree, so why do the mounted units?).

I'd like to suggest that horses currently headbutt trees because they are ridden by fools.  Volkier will correct me for this, but I'm under the impression horses do as their rider tells them up to a certain point, so they'd ride towards the tree, towards the tree, towards the tree, and then Nay!  Woah there!  Stop!

we have an M&B horse.

I've noticed in 751 that I can run through most physical objects - trees, rocks, bushes.  But my horse can't.  This is hardly fair!!

What would be good is to see different AI for different horse-types.  I picture the steppe horse as being more independent, and thus running towards the tree BUT then swerving around it, whereas the disciplined charger might actually get right up to the current rearing position, simply because it is ingrained with obedience.

What do you think of that?

I was just thinking... in the Battle of Hastings, Harold Godwin's Housecarls (experienced fighters) had incredibly sharp and heavy axes, and could apparently cut straight through a horse's neck and continue to penetrate the rider. If that was implimented as a feature for the bad horses, it would be really fun. I mean, to keep things fair, it should only really happen when you try and take on sea raiders with a really low riding skill and level.

Amman:
It is remotely possible if the tree is wider than the horse, by around 3 or 4 times? ::grin: Not in the trees we currently see.. You wouldn't be able to get the horse to head-butt the tree - and even if you have trained him to do that by using paper trees / objects, he would refuse to repeat it after the first encounter ::grin:
As for rocks, normally they would just jump over without too muh problems..

Tentale:
Until I see such an axe, I would seriously doubt the possibility ::smile:
Are you sure you are not confusing the neck with the leg? Or do you mean that the axe just slices on the side of the neck to continue to hit the rider? This is what currently happens anyway by the way - in the most wierd angles and ways at times as well ::\

I'm suggesting something.... mostly about defeating horses, so, Volkier, you can skip this :grin:

Berserk : If you hit a horse in some critical area hard enough, its senses might slip away and go WILD!! In example, even though it's calm and intelligent, it would temporarily forget all loyalties and intelligence, and charge everyone possible, run at full speed everywhere with very bad knowledge and reflexes of what's ahead. During this period, if the rider's skill is good enough he might be able to control the horse after a while. If a little above the horse requirements, he might lose control but can still swing and ride. If the skill is nearly equal to the requirements, he might fall off. Now the damage done to the rider will be calculated. For the worst, the horse would just fall down.

Poisons : Inject some kind of poison into enemy horses, either via a dart, arrow, or by infiltrating the enemy camp. That horse will be crippled. Only works against 'named horses' like the ones that might be owned by enemy heroes (that can't die). The game itself needs some polishing before this can be implemented.

Incoming speed : Speed bonus for slashing against the incoming horses. Like, I stand behind a tree with a pole, then the enemy rides in and then I poke it out. The horse then gets hit with it and needs to stop. If I aim lower then it might be tripped, causing the horse to fall down. Low riding skills result in the rider being thrown away.

----------------------------

Now, onto a reply to Amman d' Stazia's latest post...

I agree. But the AI itself needs some cleaning. I mean, if I train a horse to attack, when I leave it alone it would attack anyone nearby, right? I was going to say that its AI style might change. But those habits would be good. Especially for your idea on Steppe horses. Works well on wild horses that you buy from tamers.

Tamed horses - Buy at tamers or get one yourself, AI works naturally like real wild horses. Normal traits like in the wild. Advantage is, you can train them into anything you wish.
Army-retired horses - Buy from the army, usually more intelligent and more combat-oriented. Good discipline. Accepts the weight of a fully-armed knight. Strong and mighty.
Race horses - Buy from racers' stables, real spirit of the speeder. Can't put anything very heavy on it. Very fast, good for racing.
Caravan Horses - Buy from merchants, can hold more load and is able to tug away the whole cart. Don't usually move fast. Great endurance.

Volkier said:
Falling off the horse, would be possible if the rider's skill is the same and/or below that of the horse's required skill, and when the player is hit. Simple model:

*** Rider skill < horse requirement, --> Rider falls off if they take 5-10 damage
    *** Rider skill = horse requirement, --> Rider falls off if they take 25-30 damage
    *** Rider skill > horse requirement, --> Rider falls off if they take 55+ damage

Using this system as an example, a player who has a riding skill of 1, and is riding a charger, would be knocked off easily with most hits. A player who has a riding skill of 3, and is riding a hunter, would take most hits encountered during combat, but would still be knocked off if they are hit hard enough with a heavy axe / headshot. The same player, who would have 4+ riding skill, and riding the same hunter, would stay on throughout almost any hit. However, they would still be knocked off if they are hit for over 55 damage, which would normally mean a direct couched lance from the enemy, or something very hard..

Rider Skill Impact resistance - Each point of this skill gives a 3% chance of resisting the knock-down impact and gives +1 point to how much damage a player needs to take, in order to be knocked off. This would work in par with the above mentioned suggestion.

(havent read the whole topic yet)
Not realistic. Being hit to head makes lot of damage but doesnt make you fall (if you stay conscious). Good idea otherwise. If the headshot just adds some amount of damage we could maybe count a separate damage for this which wouldnt include headshot bonus damage. Then it would sound realistic for me.

I think that when mounted, damage dealt to you should case an equal number of "instability points".  IPs don't disappear instantly, but gradually.  A hit that takes you to the brink of falling should take about 2 seconds to recover from.  The speed that they disappear at is again dictated by your Riding Skill.  It should take about 40 IPs to knock you off a horse if you're at the riding level of the horse.  For every level below, knock %25 off that number.  So if you're a saddle-weight with no riding skill astride a stubborn charger and a Vaegir footman atop a wall "farts in your general di-rec-shee-on" then you take a tumble.  Every level above the horse's level also adds 25% to the number of IPs you can take.

You should also get instability points when a horse rears, and on every step of the fore-legs when running downhill multiplied by the grade of the slope you're on and the speed of the horse.

This sounds good for me, but I think those things should be also affected by agility.

Joza - that's the point, i think, is that a headshot usually delivers so much damage that you would in reality be dazed and disorientated, which would likely lead to you falling off a horse, even if you had had it udner control up till then.

Back
Top Bottom