Enhancing Horses (updated 26th Jan 2007)

Users who are viewing this thread

So this never became reality I presume?

Sorry I came back here by checking my last post that was when I was 10 years old :smile:
god its shocking how bad my spelling and grammar was back then :smile:

Chargers get stopped so soon? :eek: I've often ploughed through three even with a sumpter. Unless they stab my mount, of course.

FrisianDude said:
Chargers get stopped so soon? :eek: I've often ploughed through three even with a sumpter. Unless they stab my mount, of course.

It's about that bad. Plus horses do very little damage when they hit. A fully loaded heavy charger weighs at least 2000 pounds with the weight of the horse, armor and man and armor.  You get up to speed and hit someone you should knock them out if not kill them. Now you get a couple of points and MAYBE a charge bonus.  The next guy you hit may not take any damage at all. If you hit a third guy you will be almost stopped which is not a good thing. For this reason I hate using a spear. As much as I'd like to get really good at it it's just too easy to get bogged down and getting bogged down with a spear is not good.

In fact, I equip all my companions with a balanced spiked mace 101 speed, 70 reach.  I think it's the perfect weapon for a companion, fast to hit, good damage, and perfect range when on foot and when bogged down in the midst of infantry. They just mow down everything with them.

But I digress.

I would like to see horses become more exceptional but I'm not sure how you can do this without adding a whole lot of programming to the game and potentially decreasing realism.  If you spent 6 months training up a horse and it gets killed I think it would be very disappointing for the player.

That said, I would like to see more horse death. If you run into a wall of spears your horse should die or at least have a high chance of it even if it is not already lame.

yeah, it is tempting to stray towards a very pessimistic view of what Taleworlds are doing with M&B...  Are they just cashing the cheques now, or are they half-way serious about completing their games?

Horses remain, as they were in the very first versions, nothing more than a speed bonus/platform for archers.  There is no reason for this other than the developers skimping where they can get away with it.  Mods have been created - including by me - where some simple code lines allow you to have 'hero' horses that will upgrade, and potentially be killed.  You can add equipment and training upgrades so that your hero horse gets a mail coif, double girth strap, bigger muscles, whatever.  There's a fair bit of code involved by this point, but its not hard, just repetitions of the same code block with a few variations.

Still, the basic limits of the horse are killers: It can only do blunt damage with momentum, so modding a 'horse bite' skill - although possible - becomes extremely time-consuming.
It can never think for itself, as a good warhorse should and a real animal would.
It moves like a ship: forward, backwards and in arcs,  but never sideways, like horses actually can.
like AI troops, it knows no fear....

Last updated 2007...Is any really important persons even ever reading this thread? How can I be sure if my suggestions will be seen at all if I post they here? Sorry if Im wrong.

I like all your sugegstions, but they'd make horses very vulnerable, unless you put very and really very much time in it.
This is more of a nerf to horses then a buff. You have to have good riding skill to remain on your horse, for your horse not to jhinder you, for your horse not to panic and run away etc...

If this happens I suggest that realistic mounted VS foot combat gets put in aswell.
In close combat, a mounted soldier with sword'n shield vs footman soldier with sword'n shield, the footman wouldn't have a chance infact. in Current m&b, the horseman has to stay moving so he won't gtet oblirterated.

And the charging damage topic, a real warhorse  (destrier ) easily had a weight of 500kg, and the heaviest of all warhorses had almost 900kg of muscle at their disposal. If you get hit by such a thing in any speed above trot, you will suffer severe and painful injuries, and probably thrown into the air, or even worse, trampled.

I like the idea of making horse fighting more skill based, but also more powerful at the same time.

In Warband right now riders don't require as much skill to be effective as footsoldiers but are unrealistically vulnerable at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom