Emulators.

Users who are viewing this thread

TehGherkin

Sergeant Knight
Emulators are the win.

Playing all the original final fantasies is the win.

Playing E.V.O in anticipation of Spore is the win.

Playing Chrono Trigger is the win.

Anyone else an avid emulator?

And btw, is there anyone who thinks emulators are morally wrong? (Some people od on this other forum I hit.)

Moraly yes, technically, no. (eg you could still get sued, if some company was willing to get off their ware and to it)(of course this depends on what country you live in)

I think that's the one I have.

Yes, Zsnesw v1.36

Except I still never found any games. I'll look at a later date the next time I am at my dads, so, in three weeks.

Used to have MAME and nearly every game that would run it. Haven't bothered with it since I formatted the drive.

Emulation is somewhat tricky legally. The whole "fine if you own the original media" thing is only applicable in Canada as far as I know (covered by fair use laws).
Thing is, there's no law that states if I buy, for example, an Amiga game, I need to run it on the Amiga. If I use an emulator, copy the BIOS/Kickstart disks from my Amiga and play it on my PC then technically I've done nothing illegal.

With most emulators, the problem is piracy. ROM is often copyrighted, as is the games themselves. The problem is, the law isn't really sure how to apply copyright law to emulation. I know Nintendo had problems as technically all Nintendo cartridges are copyrighted by Nintendo. However, the actual game code's rights are usually held by the publisher or developer. In theory, even if the developer released the Rom code for an emulator, Nintendo could still sue for copyright breach.

Interestingly enough Nintendo stopped going after the older emulators some time ago. Not sure why, but rumour has it that it was something to do with marketing rather than legal entanglements.

Archonsod said:
Emulation is somewhat tricky legally. The whole "fine if you own the original media" thing is only applicable in Canada as far as I know (covered by fair use laws).

Interestingly enough Nintendo stopped going after the older emulators some time ago. Not sure why, but rumour has it that it was something to do with marketing rather than legal entanglements.

Aye, same with that it is legal to download music here or something. I don't think Nintendo also wants to spen millions sueing emulatoprs when most old games are not making much money for Nintendo anyways.

Back
Top Bottom