Empires Mod Concept Stage

Users who are viewing this thread

Stonewall382

Knight at Arms
Hi everybody!  *waves*

The idea for the mod is thus:  the mod is relatively the same as Vanilla.  However, there will be many more castles, and what to do with castles will be...expanded, to say the least.  Anyhoo, I've been wracking my brain for the past six months (the past three moderately intensively) for ideas of what to do, and I've come up with a list.  A lot of these (the ones near the top for the most part), I know almost for sure how I want to mod them in, and the rest of them, I have an idea of how to do.  As always though, I could use criticism of my own ideas, as well as ideas from other people.  I already have a few of the most fundamental parts working (basically so far I've ported my Economy Mod to Python so far, and made it a lot cooler looking, as well as expanding it), so don't give me **** about this being a pipe dream.
Alright, enough talk, here's the list:

Taxing--Tax parties traveling to destinations on map/in realm of castle--More population, more tax parties needed, don't let them get attacked (percentage of
population being taxed, or is that too much?)

Population Happiness--Affected by a number of different variables, such as tax rate, perhaps culture rating, number of foods eaten in the city

Economic growth (too much taxation slows growth, economic upgrades designed to enlarge tax base)

Castle Population--Different types of population (because of the laws idea below--military for soldiers, workers for...workers, etc., but all draw from the population variable) so player needs to determine how to use people

Levy rates (don't really like--I'd rather make the player take straight from the working population (which is, for all intents and purposes, THE population),
then being able to dissolve the soldiers back into population after threat is over (give back items, too?)

Population growth rates (linked somewhat to economic growth, obviously)

Better medicine (affecting happiness, soldier attrition?, \/, etc.)?

Chance of player being struck with disease if no physicians in party/in castle where player is staying

Player dies if killed (and not knocked unconscious by game's roll of dice)

Industries--Farms, Breweries, Iron mines, etc.

Population upkeep (food, water, shelter, etc.)/Using small amounts of items for castle upkeep (oil, wood, stone, etc.)

Caravans/Trade--Can upgrade caravans (probably obsolete because of prestige idea below)

Watchtowers (different parties on world map, seem very vulnerable to AI parties (so that they attack))

Owning places like salt mine/fighting for them?

Multiple cultures/civilizations on same map

Naval travel/warfare

Caravan battles with non-generated scenes and stuff on battlefield

Disembarkment (ship to land) battles

Actual sieging--AI (and player) sieges--put defending obstacles on battle scene map using mission template and variables (AI would choose, through triggers and a roll of dice, whether to siege, and for how long)
AI building based on stores in castle, what is right at the time)

AI recruitment (again, based on stores)

Castle stores (duh, heh)--Wood stores, iron stores, spear stores

Better spawn points/triggers

Optimized game code

New troops--Castle-specific troops (getting more through various research and prestige "achievements?")

Getting rid of tavern troops after x number of castles have been taken

Vaegirs and Swadians turn on you after you gain power

Chefs and recipes (This takes some explaining--to feed your troops (very large armies can be achieved in the game), normal food will do, if it has to, but the troops won't like eating wheat or just dried meat all the time, so morale won't go up as high as with prepared rations--each castle's chefs know different recipes to use different ingredients for preparing rations (better the chef, better the quality (and thus morale increase) of the food) (Hero unit)

Priests and fanatics, and having a priest in the party may mean getting attacked by pagan sympathizers (as well as picking up zealous followers)

Holy order troops

Crusades

Scouts--Heroes who have high pathfinding, tracking, spotting, different scouts from different castles having different abilities (both in battle and on the world map)

Building crews affecting build times (obsolete--now, one building uses one or more building crews and has a set build time (if you have twelve building crews on the same project, they're just going to slow things down (plus, I couldn't make the idea work in the triggers :oops:)

Castle workforce allocation--More workers devoted to woodcutting, the more wood that will come in (different castles have different amounts of good produced per person per day, because of different amounts of resources around the castle)

Wall and tower upgrades (more walls, curtain walls, small towers being upgraded to round towers, etc.)

Catapults, ballistae, chukonu, etc. (need more ideas for castle defense artillery) (don't get excited--they're just troops who throw high-damage things fast :razz:)

Multiple scene props with different names for more flexible upgrading (because of disalbe_scene_prop in conjuction with mission templates and variables)

Non-consequential dialogue (gabbing)--Randomized dialogue (a ****TON)

Zel in Zendar (Zel gives info about the mod in general)

More items in general (goods, mainly, maybe some exotic weaponry)

Messengers ("Sir, the castle is under attack!","Lord, the Swadians have asked for peace.")

Religion?

Varied troops and benefits for each castle (as above)

Granting fiefdoms? (not really fleshed out, don't know if I'll include it--might be cool)

Vassals? (again, not sure how it would work)

Creating/capturing towns (and having them act differently than castles, somehow (maybe you can only tax them, and not govern what gets built))?

Most parties being led by a hero?

Changed game map (to allow more castles)

Mercenaries? (probably going to be in)

Variations of Victory battle strings (and other strings where applicable) (nothing major, just aesthetics)

New, more flexible, and more specific, mission templates

Empire (gain enough castles, and you have the option to unite your various kingdoms under one Empire--perhaps the castles share technologies and ideas, but lose their individual special troops?) (needs a LOT of discussion/thinking)

Festivals (to raise population happiness, and to make the castle look prrety :roll:)

Travelling Fairs (An idea stolen from Lombard Leagues (I believe)--will ask before I try to use)

Voice Acting (Neighbors in college dorms + mic + play_sound :twisted:)--If possible, I'd like to try it

Pottery/Clay (Just a reminder to myself to put these in the game)

Just add full amounts (three hundred pounds of stone, for example), rather than units, to the stockpile--no items needed, so you should be fine (and if the player wants to get an item, just subtract weight from stockpile) (If you don't understand this, please explain what you don't get)

Randomized characters (Constable Hareck in one game, Magistrate Kensky in another) using triggers in the beginning of the game

Laws (Example:  One law would be that soldiers have to pay taxes--garners money, but hurts population happiness
Example 2:  Sunday is declared as worship day, and no work is done--industry output is reduced)

True Trade Routes--Tell a caravan which city to go to, and where to go from there, then the next city, and so on.  Assuming the party survives, it could trade/drop off goods between multiple towns
--Would make running the empire a helluva lot easier (a lot less micromanagement)  (This could work through specific, hero-lead parties who are drawn to the castle via the prestige rating)

Prestige--societal, economic, military (philosophers--technology, based on population happiness (and a culture rating?)), (better caravan masters, bigger caravans, more--based on money coming in,
industries, and caravan guilds), (better officers, wider varieties of mercenaries, based on military research level and number (and success) of troops)

Libraries--Historians are drawn to the castle (via prestige), and record notable events (needs to be discussed/thought about a lot)

I'm hesitant to make this thread, as a)  I'm showing everyone all my ideas (not a big problem, as I intend to release the source once it's finished), but mainly b)  I'm afraid I'll lose the ambition to make the mod as soon as I hit "Submit Post."  Here's to hoping not, eh?

Thanks to anyone who reads this and gives a shout. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom