Early 14th century mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Zilberfrid

Sergeant Knight
Hello, I am working on a mod that features troops and such from the beginning of the 14th century, so just a little further than the original. This will mean the following:

-The amount of bastard sword types will increase from 2 to 3, with radically differing stats (to reflect the oakeshott XVa, XVIa, XIIIb types, though the XIIa will stay the greatsword, the XIIIa will be one of the twohanders)
-Categorise the swords along the oakeshott typology, so people know better what they equip (not historical I know, but I will at least use them until final release because I think it will be easier) This will be limited to XII, XV, XVI and XIV, If I can work out how, XV's will be very stab-oriented, XIV and XVI's will have one additional stab and the others will stay the same (to reflect the changes in the weapon).
-The mail and plate armours will be made available once more, to resemble differing coat of plates, the studded leather armour will change name to coat of plates as well (I'll differentiate them so you can figure out what is what)
-Tourney helmet will be available as sugarloaf helmet.
-Pike militia will be more prevalent (and useful, with improved infantry blocks)
-Nobles (the heavy mounted tree branch) will be recruited from castles (if I can get my head around it) and will be rare, except for the swadian faction
-Nords will be updated to better reflect the timeframe
-Khergit will be changed into a pseudo-hungarian faction, which means they will be a little less exotic
-Chargers, plate armour, poleaxes, ugly warhammers, viking swords, and viking helmets will be removed
-Vaegirs will be westernized to some extent
-Factions will be a little more color-oriented, so if you see a large contigent of blue/white coming your way, you can start to tremble at the thought of impending lances, and if you see a block of white and black on a hill, you might wish to reel in your cavalry before they slam into a solid pike block. Not exactly single or double colour, but a little more standardized than native.
-Mercenaries will be more expensive, though not better than now (add one tier over the current, but make the lower tiers weaker) and will have a mounted crossbowman and pikemen tier (mercenaries will be recognizable by not having anything on their shields and having blank armour).
-Add a surcoated sumpter and saddle horse to have a lower-cost knightly horse for the nord and vaegir faction, and middle tier swadians. This surcoat will be heraldic if I can get it to work.
-Increase the cost of high-performance horses and reduce their availability
-Gambesons with standard, gamboised chausses,  good-sized godendag, some differing falchions, armoured surcoat, kettle hat with mail aventail, and some simple ketle hats will be added

As I do not feel like learning to make new models, I will change textures from existing models or ask permission to use someone elses material.

I am just starting out with the equipment alterations and the differing in troops, progress will be less than stellar, but I do not want to screw up. What I did so far was just changing colors from gambesons, surcoated mail,  and warhorse (that's right, the surcoated horsies are just warhorses with a texture job and other stats) changing the equipment list, especially the names, and trying to mathematically balance the factions. Tonight I will be able to give you some pics (though it being friday may ruin that), but as for now, you'll have to make do with a troop list. (I do not have the troops.py and items.py here at work)

If I do not get the village/castle distinction to work, I'll just make the courties an upgrade of the peasants

legend: name, (lvl), type
types:f=foot, p=pike, c=crossbow, m=mounted t=thrown b=bow (b)=might have bow h=heavy p/f=might have pike, might have melee

Rhodok (based on flemish troops)
Village  Recruit(3)p/f -> Townsman(7)p/f -> Guildsman (14)p/f -> Burgher(19)p/f,h -> Veteran Burgher (25)p/f,h
                                    \=> Supporter(7)c -> Crossbowman(14)c->Sharpshooter(19)c-> Marksman(25)c
Castle Courtier(5)f -> Squire(12)m -> Noble(1:cool:m

Nord (based on danes)
Vilage  Recruit(4)(b)f-> Footman (8 )(b)f ->Warrior (16)f -> Veteran (20)f -> Huscarl (30)hf 
                                                                      \=>Skirmisher (12)f/b -> Crossbowman (17)f/c -> Veteran crossbowman (22)f/c (<- now don't go screaming AARGH NORDS WITH CROSSBOWS,  crossbows were weapons    of  war, bows were weapons of hunting and sport)
Castle Courtier(5)f -> Landless Noble(12)m -> Noble(1:cool:m    (<- I need new names, I know)

Vaegir (based on polish/russian) <= I might base them on byzantines instead, this will of course change things
                                                          /=>hunter (16) b ->archer (22)b -> marksman (30
Village  Levy(4)j/f  -> Footman (7)b/j f -> Warrior (14) f-> Guard (1:cool: hf -> Berdicheman (24) hf
                                                                  \=> Cavalry (14)m -> Lancer (19) m
Castle Noble's son (6) hf ->  Noble (14) (b) hm -> Boyar (19) b hm

Khergit (based on hungary)
Village Villager(4) (j)(b)(m) -> Footman(7) b/f -> Warrior b/f (14) -> Veteran (1:cool: bf
                                                \=> Chaser (7) j(b) m -> Horse Archer (14) bm -> Light Hussar (1:cool: b m-> Heavy Hussar (25) b hm
Castle Horseman (7) m => Lancer (14) m => Noble (19) hm

Swadian (based on france and germany)
Village Peasant (2) => Levy (5) f => Militia (12) (c)f => Infantry (17) f =>Sergeant (25) h f/p
                                                                                \=>Crossbowman (16) c=> heavy crossbowman (22) hc
Castle Courtier (5) => Squire (12) => Pauper knight (1:cool: => Knight (25) => Paladin (35)

I will make the Nords and Vaegir quite fast troopers with high athletics, and the Rhodoks and Swadians slower but heavier, the khergit footmen always double as bowmen, and will be somewhere between

I just had an epiphany, why use these countries, and not some that actually had interesting conflicts, this might be better

Nords: English
Swadians: Germany
Khergits: French
Vaegir: Polish
Rhodoks: Flemish

This would change things like this
Nords:
Nord (based on English)
Vilage  Recruit(4)(b)f-> Footman (8 )(b)f ->Infantry (12)f -> Veteran (17)f -> Guard (22)hf 
                                                                      \=>Skirmisher (14)b -> Bowman (19)b -> Longbowman (30)b
Castle Courtier(5)f -> Landless Noble(12)m -> Noble(1:cool:m

Khergits: (based on germans)
Village Peasant (2) => Levy (5) p => Militia (12) (c)p => Infantry (16) p =>Sergeant (22) h p
                                                                                \=>Crossbowman (16) c=> Marksman (22) c
Castle Courtier (5)m => Squire (12)m => Pauper knight (1:cool:hm => Knight (25)hm=>Paladin (35)hf

Swadian (based on french)
Village Recruit (2) => Militia (5) f => Soldat (12) (c)f => Infantry (16) f => Guard (22) h f/p => Heavy Guard (30) h f/p
                                                                                \=>Crossbowman (16) c=> heavy crossbowman (22) hc
Castle Novice (5)p =>Monk(12)p => Teutonic Sergeant (1:cool: hf=> Teutonic Knight (25) hm

Vaegir (based on Poland)
                                                          /=>hunter (17) b ->archer (25)b
Village  Levy(4)j/f  -> Footman (7)b/j f -> Warrior (14) f-> Guard (1:cool: hf -> Berdicheman (24) hf
                                                                  \=> Cavalry (14)m -> Lancer (19) m
Castle Noble's son (6) hf ->  Noble (14) (b) hm -> Boyar (19) b hm

I might even consider using the rhodoks for scots, but I doubt I will, the flemish make sense, historically rich traders, and in the influence of germany and france, and, with difficulty, the english

I am dabbling with the modding tools, but will not release a mod to the public before 1.0, I am as of now fooling around with a lot of ideas, and would rather not be a bad shadow of the hundred years mod. What I am doing as of now is

Every town or two its own faction, this so I can incorporate danish, swedish, german, polish, hungarian, english, french and flemish forces. Different coat of plates and armoured surcoats, not only in colour, but in coverage and weight as well, There even is a cheap cop for those who dislike mail (there are accounts of cop used without mail).

What I have done is the following:
Removed a lot of outdated and predated stuffs
gambesons in differing colours with standards have been retextured
Stats and textures for the differing swords
Restatted bows to reflect their usage (low-end bows deal (more) cutting damage to reflect their ineffectiveness against armour, only warbows, strong bows, khergit bows and longbows retain their piercing)
Horses had their paint-jobs and new pricetags
I had a lot of fun trashing swadian knights with rhodok burghers an a river
Had a lot of fun trashing rhodok burghers with swadian knights on a flat plain (though you probably could have done without that information)

YAY , i think this will be a good mod , i like mods like that too  :mrgreen:

and why the khergits will be a Hungarian faction? why not a mongol faction?

and plate armors did not exist at that time ?

good luck on your mod Zilberfrid :wink:

Well, I thought the polish had an interesting enough time to warrant their own faction, what with defeating the teutonic knights and all

But, as I stated earlier, I will not be releasing this mod before 1.0, I wish to familiarise myself with python and the gimp better before turning myself into an ass publicly (I feel free to do it later though....)

Back
Top Bottom