Download link and discussion *PF_1.0 download link here*

Users who are viewing this thread

I know it's a work in progress and all, but I feel some new buildings would really help make the mod look more unique. No offence intended to anyone, but nothing in these screenshots really tells me that it's a mod at all and not just a custom map.

You could make a big forest with woodcutters huts and maybe a big hill in parts of the dunno lol area.
Some nobody land with small caves where you can hide would be cool.

Docm30 said:
I know it's a work in progress and all, but I feel some new buildings would really help make the mod look more unique. No offence intended to anyone, but nothing in these screenshots really tells me that it's a mod at all and not just a custom map.
True, but that'll probably have to wait until after release. The most distinctive thing we have right now are the flora, there are barely any Native props used for the nature, I did kinda break it by using dry_bush for the dry river.

ImperatorOfAll said:
You could make a big forest with woodcutters huts and maybe a big hill in parts of the dunno lol area.
Some nobody land with small caves where you can hide would be cool.
There'll definitely be more forests and lumber camps, yes.

On the topic of small caves, I've been playing around with the idea of including these "moletunnels" in the forests; When you enter one, it teleports you to the other end of the tunnel. Could be very useful for natives and bandits who know their way through the forest and want to move around unseen.

I'll go ahead and sound like a **** but those buildings need to redone, the forts should be reshapen into star forts in open areas, Look at maps of Jamestown, New Amsterdam, St. Augustine, they all have a closed fort. Also native villages had palisades, and they weren't small villages a lot of them doubled or even tripled the size of colonies at the time.

Right now it looks like a map meant for PW, and not for a Frontier. Colonies had very unique looks. Also the East Coast at this time and where this should be, hills, HILLS, AND MORE HILLS are needed.

Star forts instead of old fashion medieval fort. They need low walls, sloped walls, and wider bulwarks, and add bastions. Towers were rarely used and probably never used at this time since the forest was so thick it didn't matter if you had a vantage point at all. The Native village kind of makes me unhappy, they're surrounded by open ground... In real life, they seemed to be build right out the trees, the villages were hidden from the ground and surrounded by trees up the ying yang. Also they were bigger and tipi free.

AND(sorry for this rant) Snow should be useful in some parts and burdensome in others, like frozen rivers but slower speed. etc. Also the walls should be low and thick, not tall.  In Jamestown the port WASN'T covered by the walls and usually all around the world they weren't either.

Jamestown Started in the 1600's as a Triangle Shaped wall palisade then they moved to different shapes and thicker, lower walls, but that wasn't until the 1700's

Freighttrain4 said:
I'll go ahead and sound like a **** but those buildings need to redone
The houses themselves are fine, it's the straw roofs that make them look bad. Of course custom houses would be much better, but nothing I can do about it, I work with what I have.

the forts should be reshapen into star forts in open areas, Look at maps of Jamestown, New Amsterdam, St. Augustine, they all have a closed fort.
Not sure if this was meant to me or GloVine, but both of my forts use enviromental features as a part of their defense, for that reason they're not star forts.

Also native villages had palisades, and they weren't small villages a lot of them doubled or even tripled the size of colonies at the time.
Im going to remind you that the area where my map is placed in has only recently been colonized, it is quite literally frontier. If I ever get those longhouses for the natives, Im going to add palisades too. But with teepees, I find the presence of palisades quite unlikely.

Also the East Coast at this time and where this should be, hills, HILLS, AND MORE HILLS are needed.
I prefer mountains myself, but there should be plenty of hills. The thing is, that if there's a hill, there arent many things that can be there aswell.

Towers were rarely used and probably never used at this time since the forest was so thick it didn't matter if you had a vantage point at all.
I have only placed towers next to the river to make guarding it easier. I think that warrants the usage of towers.

The Native village kind of makes me unhappy, they're surrounded by open ground... In real life, they seemed to be build right out the trees, the villages were hidden from the ground and surrounded by trees up the ying yang. Also they were bigger and tipi free.
WIP, obviously.

Comrade Temuzu said:
The Native village kind of makes me unhappy, they're surrounded by open ground... In real life, they seemed to be build right out the trees, the villages were hidden from the ground and surrounded by trees up the ying yang. Also they were bigger and tipi free.
WIP, obviously.

He actually speaks the truth. The typical tipi (< you get it :lol: ) as we all know them were only used by
nomad Native American tribes who needed something light to carry with them through the vast plains. Native
Americans found in the east coast weren't nomads and settled in an area instead of going from place to place.
Mostly, east coast tribes had towns, lived in so called longhouses and lived of farming and hunting. To make things
easier I found an example picture how eastern woodland Indians lived instead of the plain Indians as we all know them :wink:

wood.culture.beschrijfhuis.jpg

Comrade Temuzu said:
Freighttrain4 said:
I'll go ahead and sound like a **** but those buildings need to redone
The houses themselves are fine, it's the straw roofs that make them look bad. Of course custom houses would be much better, but nothing I can do about it, I work with what I have.

the forts should be reshapen into star forts in open areas, Look at maps of Jamestown, New Amsterdam, St. Augustine, they all have a closed fort.
Not sure if this was meant to me or GloVine, but both of my forts use enviromental features as a part of their defense, for that reason they're not star forts.

Also native villages had palisades, and they weren't small villages a lot of them doubled or even tripled the size of colonies at the time.
Im going to remind you that the area where my map is placed in has only recently been colonized, it is quite literally frontier. If I ever get those longhouses for the natives, Im going to add palisades too. But with teepees, I find the presence of palisades quite unlikely.

Also the East Coast at this time and where this should be, hills, HILLS, AND MORE HILLS are needed.
I prefer mountains myself, but there should be plenty of hills. The thing is, that if there's a hill, there arent many things that can be there aswell.

Towers were rarely used and probably never used at this time since the forest was so thick it didn't matter if you had a vantage point at all.
I have only placed towers next to the river to make guarding it easier. I think that warrants the usage of towers.

WIP, obviously.

I understand why you made things the way they are but in reality, using land formations other than rivers and cliffs would've been used as a defensive part of a wall. That's why I pointed it out. Also, without the land forms in the way, towns will seem well... IMO bigger and much more formidable. I imagine it, a Native raid about to happen, the Natives sneak to the edge of the forest and see a fort, in the wide open, no cover for a mile. How can they get there without being picked apart by the forts defenders.

I like the map, it's just too... Not Eastern Coast, and more Germanic forest in appearance.

Freighttrain4 said:
I understand why you made things the way they are but in reality, using land formations other than rivers and cliffs would've been used as a defensive part of a wall. That's why I pointed it out. Also, without the land forms in the way, towns will seem well... IMO bigger and much more formidable. I imagine it, a Native raid about to happen, the Natives sneak to the edge of the forest and see a fort, in the wide open, no cover for a mile. How can they get there without being picked apart by the forts defenders.
Im trying to limit the amount of empty space, this is a game after all, more stuff equals more fun. However, both West Point and colonial town do have a bit of a clearing next to their entrances.

Weapon pickup rule is complete and utter bull**** and waists all of my time.  so you are saying that I can't even do **** for 10 minutes after I die even if it is no fault of my own? really dumb...

Storantom said:
Weapon pickup rule is complete and utter bull**** and waists all of my time.  so you are saying that I can't even do **** for 10 minutes after I die even if it is no fault of my own? really dumb...

Your comment was
Storantom said:
really dumb...

Please be constructive, good sir.

As in:

Gee, PF dev team, I really like this mod you're making, but (x idea) is not something I think would be good for game-play. How about we do (y idea) instead?

Hmmmm... I haven't visited this thread in awhile but I do vaguely remember some extra specifications that were in the NLR section about not returning to the scene of your death and challenging the killer for 5-10? minutes, but it isn't there any more.

Back
Top Bottom