• River Village

Votes: 28 45.9%
  • Legacy Plains, EW!

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • Other: POST WHAT OTHER MAP!

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

But that's the thing. Closed and mixed maps already allow you to utilize all 3 classes in your tactics. Random plains just throw in a different dynamic to the gameplay. And no...infantry is not the same as cavalry. The playstyle, approach, and thinking are different. If you play infantry one way, it doesn't mean it will work as cav, and vice versa.

Also, random plains being random, it doesn't necessarily mean all cav is always viable. If you roll a map with a lot of uneven terrain, you better field some archers and maybe even 1 melee. Good luck traversing that terrain with your all cav, while getting raped by enemy archers. Tactics that I'm talking about for plains is quickly knowing what terrains you're dealing with and deciding how many of each class to play, all within seconds at the start of the round. Then during the round, knowing how best to position your team if both teams are waiting for flag. Since you don't know where flag will spawn, you will have to decide how best to go to that flag if it pops up in an unfavorable position. On the other hand, in closed and mixed maps, you already know exactly where flag will spawn, especially with this new module that prevents flag from spawning in same area more than once. Therefore, you already know that if you setup at X and Y, you'll be able to cover flags A and B. So you go setup in those areas and wait for it to pop up. Very formulaic, predictable, and somewhat boring, especially if the map is old or overplayed, such as Sandiboush.

Of course, all these plains tactics don't mean squat if you have ****ty cav players, so that's where cav skills trump tactics. On the other hand, in mixed and closed maps, your team can be weaker in a certain class but you can still win if you have better tactics or are located in a more strategic location.

Wrote out a longer paragraph, but you know what, it doesn't matter. I disagree with you on several points, but 4/5 years later it's not worth doing this argument again. The fact of the matter is random plains isnt coming back to warband. Hopefully bannerlord can address some of the issues we've talked about.

Agree to disagree.

Random maps are fundamentally awful for a number of reasons, namely being a horrible time sink to just find a map that works as a map, often doesn't even show the same terrain to all clients (either a DX7 or DX9 thing), and you have no way to reliably practice for the map you get. They're competitively unfounded by nature.

Legacy is aite though.

I don't get why people take a proper strategy for not having skill, if you have the skill to outthink your enemy then yeah you should win rounds and we're talking about legacy plains not random plains

ClockWise said:
Wrote out a longer paragraph, but you know what, it doesn't matter. I disagree with you on several points, but 4/5 years later it's not worth doing this argument again. The fact of the matter is random plains isnt coming back to warband. Hopefully bannerlord can address some of the issues we've talked about.

Agree to disagree.

You're right. To say the least, I do agree with it staying out of competitive simply because of the re-rolls.

Calamity said:
Sjaeles said:
and you have no way to reliably practice for the map you get.

I found this to be the best part. The top teams should be good at adapting which is why I never liked fixtures.

Are there any other competitive video games that require adapting to the map(or any competitive sports for that matter lol) ? I think the randomness kinda kills the competitive nature, fixtures aren't the best though it could be each teams maps with random factions etc or a diff solution could be found. That being said there is a ton of preparation that goes/can go into preparing for the maps and coming up with new strategies for it, and there is still adapting in the game to what your opponent is doing during the match which requires much more of a tactical understanding of the game then saying o ye let's add one more cav there are less mountains on this map.

The only way to prepare for open/legacy plains is go to battlefield and play cav all day. I don't really understand how it's any different than saying o ye let's put the cage in the arena as a map and force to go all inf with some rangeish support lol. But again I enjoy playing on those maps since cav v cav although I can't give any credit to anything competitive. To me it's kind of like competitive cs go adding aim maps to map pools and throwing in teams 8v8 to shoot at each other without any tactics, if this game was at a higher competitive level all the top players would be relatively close to each other and you'd see no one wanting to play those maps however unfortunately it is not and better teams will always dominate those maps(there is not one team that can get a round from the full SJW roster on that map which isn't something I'd necessarily want to see)

Also courtney every time I read a post of yours about plains I just cringe, dunno why it just cringes me.

22nd_Can said:
Calamity said:
Sjaeles said:
and you have no way to reliably practice for the map you get.

I found this to be the best part. The top teams should be good at adapting which is why I never liked fixtures.

Are there any other competitive video games that require adapting to the map(or any competitive sports for that matter lol) ? I think the randomness kinda kills the competitive nature, fixtures aren't the best though it could be each teams maps with random factions etc or a diff solution could be found. That being said there is a ton of preparation that goes/can go into preparing for the maps and coming up with new strategies for it, and there is still adapting in the game to what your opponent is doing during the match which requires much more of a tactical understanding of the game then saying o ye let's add one more cav there are less mountains on this map.

The only way to prepare for open/legacy plains is go to battlefield and play cav all day. I don't really understand how it's any different than saying o ye let's put the cage in the arena as a map and force to go all inf with some rangeish support lol. But again I enjoy playing on those maps since cav v cav although I can't give any credit to anything competitive. To me it's kind of like competitive cs go adding aim maps to map pools and throwing in teams 8v8 to shoot at each other without any tactics, if this game was at a higher competitive level all the top players would be relatively close to each other and you'd see no one wanting to play those maps however unfortunately it is not and better teams will always dominate those maps(there is not one team that can get a round from the full SJW roster on that map which isn't something I'd necessarily want to see)

Also courtney every time I read a post of yours about plains I just cringe, dunno why it just cringes me.

Why does everything have to be similar to something else? Since you're comparing can you name any competitive games similar to Warbands multiplayer scene?

It worked fine and we had some of the best matches when we had it in place. Adopting new strategies on the fly makes you dangerous on any map no matter how long you have to prepare for it. Now you know which map you play before the tournament even starts. It's just a difference in opinion. I prefer it and obviously you don't.

Courtney said:
22nd_Can said:

Probably because you dislike plains maps but I enjoy playing them  :party:.

Well if you read Cans post it says he likes plains maps because of cav v cav...

Roberta_Baratheon said:
Courtney said:
22nd_Can said:

You don't even play the game why do you always argue in tourney threads.

You don't know how to play the game well, why do you always make skill-based lists?

Fidel Lagstro said:
Roberta_Baratheon said:
Courtney said:
22nd_Can said:

You don't even play the game why do you always argue in tourney threads.

You don't know how to play the game well, why do you always make skill-based lists?

I don't have to be good at the game to watch other people play. People all around the world rate people in games, real life sports and other things that have no personal experience in the category. I have called for like 5 different teams of players now and played with many others and including WBant have probably called at least once for every competitive player currently in the scene. With the exception of Wappaw and Balion I know every players capabilities in this tournament. My list is one list, if you don't like it then I don't care go make a different one. I can tell you that I put more time into mine than anyone else does and yes it may have a little bias towards players I see play more. It's much easier for me to rank the tK players or the OE players, or my own team because I have scrimmed against those people on a weekly basis for like over a year now. I take all suggestions from people and usually implement them. Sick of people crying about the list and then they say they don't care about their ranking. If you don't care then don't mention it.

:facepalm: myself

It wuz jok, plz, calm ur jimmies Bertha.

I'll also have you know that I've been playing very seriously lately to increase my berta points, that's why I played with 3 xbows and a bag of bolts in last night's scrim.
:facepalm:
Dis gaem is jok, SJW doesn't even need me to win this tourney, I'm just a sack of meat pixels so that they have numbers to play their match.

Fidel Lagstro said:
Dis gaem is jok, SJW doesn't even need me to win this tourney, I'm just a sack of meat pixels so that they have numbers to play their match.
do-you-ever-feel-like-a-plastic-bag-meme.jpg

Back
Top Bottom