Does leaving excess food/tools in a village's market increase it's prosperity?

Users who are viewing this thread

dilated

Recruit
The town's description seems to complain about people being hungry and tools being broken, so in a recent game I started leaving piles of grain and tools in the town's shop and after a while the town become very prosperous. I'm also protecting my towns from raids so it might just be natural growth. I dunno, am I wasting money? tools are friggen expensive. But after feeding a town lots of supplies I've had Nomar paying me ~1400 denaris each week, but this game I'm working with Chide.

The village of Chide looks very poor and desolate. Some farmers and animals are out in the fields, but their small numbers suggest that some villagers may be emigrating in search of food. Farm implements looks rusty and broken. Brush and weed some to be reclaiming some of the outermost fields.

I've already given a bunch of bread and a couple tools to the above town and before everyone was starving and only a few people could work and they had no farm tools to work with. I didn't complete any village elder quests while it grew either.

edit: added some more tools and a couple loaves a bread and now it and only a few days later then town says:
The village of Chide appears to be somewhat poor and struggling. The fields and orchards are busy, with villagers engages in the tasks of the seasons. Humans and animals alike look relatively healthy and well-fed. However, a small number of the outermost fields are left unsewn, and some walls are in ill repair, suggesting that there are still not quite enough hands to do all the work which needs to be done.

I don't think it does. You can increase it's wealth by building things in the village, such as trading posts. I do recommend upgrading your engineer skills, as it will drastically save you time while building, especially when you own a large castle. Once you own a large castle (Suno, Veluca, Reyvadin, etc.), you will be able to open your own business easily in it. What you put into the business will make you profit.

If I remember, it's how much money the village elder has, every 3000denars it goes up 1 in prosperity, if I remember correctly.

True, but...
The village inventory is refreshed every week. If you buy lots of goods from that village during the week, like over 3500 in gold, the prosperity will be increased by (elder gold)/3000, then his gold will be reset. Sometimes it's impossible to buy that much so the mechanics is not that helpful.

The menu text reflecting prosperity is just for game color.

How about giving alot of items to village merchant for free and then buy it back? Village will have cash, prosperity raises alongside with weekly profits from that village. Everyone is happy.

I'm not sure that's a good investment. You put a lot of money in to get little back, and then some lord sacks the village and your prosperity tanks.

Well, you're right but OP wants to raise his village prosperity and this is propably the closest to what OP wants. I don't recommend raising prosperity that way, to be clear.

It's kind of a waste of time to worry about village prosperity.  As MadVader pointed out, if your village gets raided, the prosperity is reset and your income goes down to nothing--and your village is usually the first one the enemy comes gunning for during a war.  You shouldn't rely on villages for income:  your best bet is to have other income sources, ideally enterprises, since those you can set and forget.  If you start your own kingdom, give all the villages away to low-renown lords so you don't have to worry about them getting raided all the time.

I've tried it before in my village, giving up 4 sack of tools and a few bread. Ended up crushing my keyboard  :mrgreen:.

Thanks for the replies! I learned a lot, there's so many subtle mechanics to this game I have yet to explore. I like the idea of building up villages to be very strong just for the RP value I guess lol I'm not too concerned about the financial output, I just want my villagers to be well fed and happy.

One of the main purposes of villages is to provide you with recruits.
To get more and better recruits, you'll need better relations.
To increase relations, you need to do quests for the villages.
The problem is there are very few village quests and they have longish cooldown periods before you can get them again, so it's a long process.

But it seems that the bandit infestation happens to some villages a lot and it is a great way to boost relations

Thundertrod said:
But it seems that the bandit infestation happens to some villages a lot and it is a great way to boost relations
That's right and so one should regularly visit every village on their way.

Back
Top Bottom