Do you think the number of countries is enough? & We can't buy a house...

Users who are viewing this thread

FBohler said:
China doesn't exist in the same world as Calradia.
Nor do any actual nation, people or region.

Hey -snip- , we know. Neither do Arabs or Celts or Mongols, and yet something tells me you already know what factions I would be referring to...

If you genuinely thought we were talking about putting actual China as a faction in M&B and not a fictional equivalent I will apologize as that's just funny.

FBohler
Squire
sword3_3d.png

nuclear autism

Faction: Swadian
[td][/td]        [td]
xx.gif
Re: Do you think the number of countries is enough? & We can't buy a house...
[size=8pt]« Reply #22 on: Today at 07:06:23 PM »

Arabs don't exist in the same world as Calradia.
Nor do any actual nation, people or region. They just happened to code a faction in warband which doesn't trade pork or alcohol, is situated in the desert, wears helmets which are named "arab_helmet" in the code, has lords with actual Arab names, has soldiers with a completely unedited Arab designation (Mameluke), and turbans. They came up with this all on their own. Deal with it.

Nitpickers gonna nitpick.
[/td]

To get this thread kind of back on track.

I have noticed that a lot of people are not satisfied with the factions in Bannerlord, either the number of factions or choice.

I am personally very satisfied, especially after reading about them in the devblogs. 300 - 900 AD is already a break from the usual medieval settings, the dark ages are a much less explored time period in video games.

I like that the Aserai will be analogous to Arabs before Islam this time around, I can barely think of books that cover this time/region. They are also borrowing aspects of their culture and warfare from Berbers (so lots of javelin throwing from horseback).

Instead of adding another generic Viking faction they made the Sturgians more like the Kievan Rus, another civilization and setting that is rarely represented in any media. They will still be very Viking-like as the Kievan Rus were Slavic tribes of traders who were ruled by Nords (the stories go that the tribes asked the Vikings to stay and rule), but they will also have Turkic and Greek characteristics as that is who the Slavs traded with, and they are supposed to be the precursors to the Vaegirs (Russians).

They are also choosing to represent three different time periods in Roman history as three different factions in a civil war (though the weapons and armor all look Byzantine/Greek). The Northern Calradic Empire represents late Republican Rome in all it's Caesarean glory, ruled by a rich Oligarchical senate. The Western Calradic Empire represents Imperial Rome when it was ruled by acclaimed generals, from out of the "barbarian" provinces they conquered at the edge of the empire. The Southern Calradic Empire represents later Imperial Rome or maybe the Byzantine's, with the dead emperor's wife claiming Monarchic right.

I think that they made a lot of unique decisions that can lead to a ton of depth.

NUQAR'S Kentucky "Nuqar" James XXL said:

FBohler
Squire
sword3_3d.png

Voice Actor

Faction: Swadian
[td][/td]        [td]
xx.gif
Re: Do you think the number of countries is enough? & We can't buy a house...
[size=8pt]« Reply #22 on: Today at 07:06:23 PM »

Arabs don't exist in the same world as Calradia.
Nor do any actual nation, people or region. They just happened to code a faction in warband which doesn't trade pork or alcohol, is situated in the desert, wears helmets which are named "arab_helmet" in the code, has lords with actual Arab names, has soldiers with a completely unedited Arab designation (Mameluke), and turbans. They came up with this all on their own. Deal with it.

Nitpickers gonna nitpick.
[/td]

:lol: :lol:

Thank you for your effort in depicting Slash perfectly in your post.

That being said, Slash is one of the best guitar players in known universe, so you must respect his opinion.

You know, Slash has curly hair, top hat, sunburst Les Paul with zebra pickups and is able to create the most singable guitar solos of all time.

But I'm not Slash

Did you get it?  :fruity:

:fruity: :fruity: :fruity: :fruity: :fruity:

MountAndMemeButterlord said:
I am personally very satisfied, especially after reading about them in the devblogs. 300 - 900 AD is already a break from the usual medieval settings, the dark ages are a much less explored time period in video games.

Unfortunately they seem to have ditched that idea and gone with a more generic overdesigned fantasy aesthetic. If you look at the older screenshots the armour seems a lot more grounded but now it's kind of a mess of fantasy tropes, late medieval stuff, and completely made up stuff. Which is fine in principle, but all of this made by artists with completely different styles, skill levels and workflows is kind of ugly.

blog_post_12_taleworldswebsite_02.jpg
xuat-hien-tua-game-nhap-vai-chien-dau-chan-thuc-nhat-qua-dat-cam-622.png
Mount-and-Blade-II-Bannerlord-Campaign-Gamescom-2018-Thumb-1024x576.jpg
Zj2fvvv.jpg

Unfortunately they seem to have ditched that idea and gone with a more generic overdesigned fantasy aesthetic. If you look at the older screenshots the armour seems a lot more grounded but now it's kind of a mess of fantasy tropes, late medieval stuff, and completely made up stuff. Which is fine in principle, but all of this made by artists with completely different styles, skill levels and workflows is kind of ugly.

Zj2fvvv.jpg

Have we seen troop trees yet? I am really hoping that even if a fair amount of the armor designs are fantasy that there end up being a few historically accurate gems. If not... I'll just have to learn how to mod.

Zj2fvvv.jpg

Of those screenshots, I actually quite like the first one. Yes they are wearing a combination of medieval Uggs, leather leather leather (and scales, which look better here than on the Godawful armour in the fourth pic), but I could accept them as a sort of 80s medieval fantasy raider type of troop- maybe hiding behind the infantry until the enemy starts to waver, or only being used to carry out surprise attacks on enemy outposts/villages. But from what we've seen of battles and army compositions, all factions seem to have a lot of cavalry and at the end of the day even these Battanians will be used by the AI in the same way as that of other factions and be relied upon to win battles. That disappoints me, though not because I didn't expect it but because it seems like a missed opportunity. The Battanians are described as this forest dwelling quasi-Celtic sort of people who need to rely on ambushing, but their armours are a bloody mishmash of furs, studs and straps (who are they? Most of it doesn't scream 'Celtic' to me, whether one thinks of 300BC or 1000AD) and they seem to actually have a similar army composition to everyone else (so no unique fighting strategies). Their cavalry should be reserved for raids and ambushes on outmatched forces, but back in 2016 we saw they were just thrown at the enemy cavalry like any other.

Oh, and looking again at that first picture, why are these supposed forest dwellers of the north, these people said to be inspired by Celtic people (I am sure the devs specifically said that at some point) wearing short tunics rather than trousers? They don't live in warm lands, they live in the north. They have gone to the trouble of draping fur down the outside of their boots, but are happy to go bare legged (particularly bad for cavalrymen, one would think). And their sleeveless leather vests have yawning gaps at the vulnerable armpits, as if no Battanian knew how to make basic clothes properly. It's all nonsensical, as well as affording needless opportunities for enemy weapons to find bare flesh.

I have noticed that a lot of people are not satisfied with the factions in Bannerlord, either the number of factions or choice.

I've only noticed you.

300 - 900 AD is already a break from the usual medieval settings, the dark ages are a much less explored time period in video games.

Why you insist on real world medieval stuff?

Mount and Blade is a FANTASY GAME.

FBohler said:
Why should I stop saying the truth?

I think you should start telling "stop" to people that act like M&B is/should be a historically accurate game.
Misread another comment again. My bad.
For some reason I thought you were responding to NUQAR'S Kentucky "Nuqar" James XXL's comment about armor design which is entirely right.

FBohler said:

I think you should start telling "stop" to people that act like M&B is/should be a historically accurate game.

People so far who have said that Bannerlord purposefully uses real historical outfits and themes:

- Several blogs
- People who have worked on the game
- A 3D modeller who was told his work would be scrapped if it wasn't based on real history
- Armagan himself

Kentucky (or whatever is his/her nickname by now :lol:) left me wondering:

Why they consider me a "Voice Actor"?

:roll:

Edit:
Draw inspiration is not equal to copy + paste.

Noudelle said:
In a game where you can conquer castles and cities, create your own kingdom, you think that the ability to acquire a place of residence through entirely legal means is interesting and important?

And that about sums it up.
+1

FBohler said:
Kentucky (or whatever is his/her nickname by now :lol:) left me wondering:

Why they consider me a "Voice Actor"?

:roll:

Edit:
Draw inspiration is not equal to copy + paste.

I thought Mount & Blade was in the Star Wars universe. :KAPPA:

FBohler said:

People so far who have said that Bannerlord purposefully uses real historical outfits and themes:

- Several blogs
- People who have worked on the game
- A 3D modeller who was told his work would be scrapped if it wasn't based on real history
- Armagan himself

I would just ignore them, they are clearly trolling and don't care.

The units in the troop tree screenshots look pretty cool imo, resolution isn't great but they look realistic too. I hope they have not changed too much. I am very satisfied with how the factions were designed and would hate to see them all turned into generic fantasy trash. They don't need to add any more factions they have a great concept already, leave that to modders.

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=378752.0

Back
Top Bottom