Do you think Nords are overpowered?

Users who are viewing this thread

pjm2493

Knight at Arms
Do you think that Nords are overpowered? I think so. They have ultra-shields that can't be destroyed like the other ones, super armour, overpowered throw axes, good weapons, I mean... what the ****? I don't saying that Nords will win all the time ( you must be good player as well ), but I think they have much more possibilities.

Make your opinion about this here, please.

Thanks and sorry for my possible bad english.

Every kingdom has it's pros and cons. The Nords have immense infantry, but no cavalry. Also, they are limited to SOME bows and mainly throwing axes. Throwing axes are short range.

In my opinion, they arn't over powered. Just gotta know what your doing :razz:

Gamecubetoby

Nords are exactly what they should be; their high level troops are bad-ass fighting machines. No cavalry and weak archers would leave them too vulnerable otherwise. Other factions must use appropriate tactics to defeat them, but it can be done.

When I'm playing campaign as Vaegir Nords are first guys to destroy... Their big shields do not give them advantage against cavalry, so I can easily beat them with pretty small losses.

In MP they're not the best too
Shield - Rhodoks have better
1H - Swadians have better
2h/polearm - Vaegirs have better
archery - Vaegirs have better
Cavalry - EVERYONE have better
Armour - I guess that Vaegir elite armour is better than Nordic banded armour.

I wouldn't say the Nords are overpowered. But they do definitely have the strongest infantry. I looked it up even, they have the best melee infantry stats.

Nords are meant to do heavy damage with their axes, and tear through enemy shields with them, while retaining their own.
KuroiNekouPL said:
When I'm playing campaign as Vaegir Nords are first guys to destroy... Their big shields do not give them advantage against cavalry, so I can easily beat them with pretty small losses.

In MP they're not the best too
Shield - Rhodoks have better
1H - Swadians have better
2h/polearm - Vaegirs have better
archery - Vaegirs have better
Cavalry - EVERYONE have better
Armour - I guess that Vaegir elite armour is better than Nordic banded armour.
Actually, it's more like this:

Shields: Rhodoks have better coverage and large amount of hitpoints. They're good for soaking up weak attacks, but have low resistance, unlike Nord shields, and therefore are beaten by Nords because of the axes they have. Nords have the best overall shields, Rhodoks have the most specialized ones.

1-handers: It really depends what you're looking for. The Nords have shield-ripping axes in addition to their versatile swords. Rhodoks have heavy bladed cleavers, which are very good swords overall, while having picks/maces that tear through armour better than cutting weapons. Swadians have the least specialized 1 handers in the game, and probably aren't the best.

2handers/polearms: The Nords have mediocre anti-cavalry weapons, and very very 'choppy' heavy weapons. It's debatable whether they're the best, with the Swadians having their very fast & light(for two-handers) two-handed swords, and the Vaegirs having long, even stronger(but slower) bardiches. The Rhodoks have the most specialized two-handers, varying in length, speed, and strength. The Khergits of course have their hafted blades with the nifty ability to be swung on horse-back, and the Sarranids having their versatile two-handers. The Nords have their high-damage dealing, medium speed, decent length two handed axes, which may be why theirs are perceived to be the best.

Archers: The Nords may not have the most specialized archers(in archery), but they're decent enough at what they do, and they have access to strong melee weapons, in addition to being the best archers in a melee. No, they're not as good at dead-eye bow-shooting as Vaegirs. Nor are they in general as fast as Sarranids. They cannot ride & shoot as Khergits, nor do they have access to crossbows.

Cavalry: Nord cavalry has a specific purpose, and that's skirmishing with the enemy, and weakening them however they can, while the infantry comes in to finish the enemy off. They get free javelins just for this purpose. They are in no way meant for attacking the enemy directly, unlike Khergit lancers, Swadian men-at-arms, Rhodok Horsemen, and Sarranids & Vaegirs.
The Scouts are also very useful as anti cavalry units when they go without a horse, because they have access to lances, and free javelins which are all you need to de-horse a knight. Rhodok Horsemen can be very effective too, if you know how to use them, but they're the lightest direct combat cavalry.

Armour really doesn't matter much. You buy it if you can, and all factions have access to it in varying prices & strengths.
"A true warrior needs no armour."

To sum up what I've said, and why this thread should be locked:

All factions are specialized in some way, and all factions are therefore balanced.
The Nords are not overpowered, they just have the best infantry, which is the most played class.

+ It's EASY to grab a huscarl shield, no armour, and a one-handed battle axe.

Nord footmen who use the longest axe in two handed mode and wear no armour (a rather common type of Nord I am afraid) tend to be laughably easy to defeat, especially if I have a sword and shield.

I actually think that Rhodoks are overpowered to be honest in MP. Yeah, I hear the flames coming on already but there is a reason why almost every clan rolls with them during matches.

They're strong, but lack mobility and range due to a lack of strong archers or decent cavalry.

In essence, you can think of them as a really fat, hugely strong beefed up guy on steroids with horrible cardio.

Just stay out of their range and exploit their weaknesses (lack of mobility and range).

They're definitely not "OP", however.

I just started playing warband the other day coming from years of native.

While that probably doesn't help my credibility, throwing weapons seem to have been nerfed to the ground in warband. While the addition of changing them between melee and ranged is nice, they still seem far weaker than they used to be. Are they really still that OP in multiplayer?

SpittingLlama said:

While that probably doesn't help my credibility, throwing weapons seem to have been nerfed to the ground in warband. While the addition of changing them between melee and ranged is nice, they still seem far weaker than they used to be. Are they really still that OP in multiplayer?
At any long distance, Throwing weapons are very unlikely to hit. Close to point blank range is their ideal range, where any hit is less likely caused by sheer luck. They are around the same damage-wise as in 1.011, but they have less ammo, and are much more expensive, this was to make up for the constant spamming of them as an armament in multiplayer.

Even I've gone with 4 stacks of throwing axes in the past. Luckily, they are now no more useful than other weapons, but I think they're just a bit too expensive. They're mainly useful just before running into a melee, and against cavalry.

And I'm terrible enough as a thrower to miss cavalry quite often. :lol: Had some very nice kills with throwing axes a while ago, though. A headshot at reasonable distance on someone who was in the Middle Tower in Village, and a bit later a point-blank headshot in the same tower on AWdeV. :grin:

SpittingLlama said:

A couple of heavy throwing axes could go a long way to destroy a shield before a close up encounter.

Back
Top Bottom