Do you need to cool down after playing Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Redcapnyc

Recruit
Ok, I don't want to sound like crazy but I will probably will anyway.
I usually play the game every day since the release for about 3 hours before going to sleep. This is after my 5 year old gets too sleep and my wife watches some Netflix. All good so far.
But the game is so intensive and repetetive that when I go to bed I just can't get rid of thinking what I should do next and this game music is in the head. It is not funny at all.
Last night I couldn't fall asleep at all. I deleted the game at 6:15 am.
Played dozens of casual games before and never experienced stuff like that.

If you think about it, it makes sense. The more you do something (playing a certain game, doing certain activities etc) you will keep thinking about it before bed. I suggest doing something else before bed and listening to a different song although that might make it stuck in your head whilst trying to sleep.

Uhmm haven't experienced much of that with Bannerlord, a lot of it's mechanics are rather basic with straight forward ways to accel. However being a huge 4x/strategy game fan I definitely have stayed up thinking about games in the past like Galactic Civilizations, Europa, Crusader kings, etc. heck I've even stayed awake at night thinking about Tabletop games strategies for games like Warmachine and such.

More often then not though it's work, or some other issue that is likely to keep me up these days. I'd recommend some white noise, an audio book, or going for a walk before bed after gaming.

Playing games shouldn't feel like a chore. I haven't opened Bannerlord for two weeks now due to that, but I do regularly play Warband and it's MP.
I recommend varying which games you play, especially if they aren't anywhere near being a finished and polished product.
Just like with music, variation is needed to not get tired of a song.

Probably because you used to play casual and simplistic games, and now this game is overwhelming experience for you.
My impression is completely opposite.

If I ever play the game again I will play it with Sound off
Probably because you used to play casual and simplistic games, and now this game is overwhelming experience for you.
My impression is completely opposite.
Well I did play Warband hundreds of hours back in the day. But I guees I didn't do it before going to sleep because, well I didn't have a family and had lots of free time

It sounds that you were exhaused and not in a good condition when you were playing the game. How much do you sleep per day? Maybe you should play much less, like 1 or just half hour a day, and turn down the volumn a lot and mute the BGM.

Playing games shouldn't feel like a chore. I haven't opened Bannerlord for two weeks now due to that, but I do regularly play Warband and it's MP.
I recommend varying which games you play, especially if they aren't anywhere near being a finished and polished product.
Just like with music, variation is needed to not get tired of a song.

Tell me one game that is´nt a chore for progression except automatic mobile games ? Heck even Mario was an chore to jump over those holes go figure. Guess its up to one each how they feel. This sounds more of an stress thing

Last edited:
So you finally find something you get excited about, and you delete it? Do you never enjoy anything so much you keep thinking about it in bed until you fall asleep?

It is no fun not being able to switch off your brain and keep thinking about something against your will so to say. Knowing that tomorrow you can't wake up at noon or later 'cause work, family.

Since I can't really progress on a campaign for long due to the incomplete nature of the game's main quest and certain basic mechanics, I've decided to take a hiatus. I heard My Time At Portia got an update, so I went back there. Stardew Valley was also recently given new patches. With these particular games, you get a more measured pace with less killing involved... but you can still attack enemies with a sword from time to time.

I'll probably be away from Bannerlord for a year or until I hear the main story and the endgame mechanics (such as npc marrying each other as well as succession issues) has been hammered out.

This used to happen to me whenever I played the newest Elder Scrolls game. I would play it so much, my sleep ended up becoming a continuation of my play, so I never felt rested when I woke up. Never play an intense or immersive game before bed. Spend at least a half hour doing something else, and do it away from where you sleep, such as reading a book or listening to music in the living room. Watch a single episode of something on Netflix with your wife. Just make sure it is far detached from what you were doing.

Tell me one game that is´nt a chore for progression except automatic mobile games ? Heck even Mario was an chore to jump over those holes go figure. Guess its up to one each how they feel. This sounds more of an stress thing
I have no clue what you're comparing to when you write automatic mobile games. My point was more directed towards the foundation and very basic idea of games, which is to be fun and relaxing to play, and not contain a lot of unfunny chores; aka tedious but necessary tasks. Not all games need to be completely automatic to be fun. As for Bannerlord it does feel like a chore due to it being an imbalanced mess for the SP and the MP servers break all the time. Want me to name a game that isn't a chore for progression? The Witcher 3; variation on quests and not-that-buggy-mess of a game.
Of course, Bannerlord is an open world sandbox game which isn't really comparable, but you didn't ask for a comparison, just one game.

Last edited:
I usually play the game every day since the release for about 3 hours before going to sleep. This is after my 5 year old gets too sleep and my wife watches some Netflix. All good so far.
But the game is so intensive and repetetive that when I go to bed I just can't get rid of thinking what I should do next and this game music is in the head. It is not funny at all.
I know this feeling, this game burns your soul, but that's because it has no clear objective, and even if you do try to create your own objective, it's incomplete, so it blocks you from doing it. Hence, you lose your mind. Some people adapt into "mini-objectives" doing quick bursts of pointless playthroughs just to achieve a character (that works even in the current state of the game), but it's not for everyone. I for one have no more juice for that sort of play, too old for it I think. So what I do is play little, as minimal as possible just to add to my stack of "killing time" routine since COVID lockdown here in Italy.

In my "normal" life, I usually play games like an addict for a week, then I either abandon it, or stick to it depending on quality, when I stick to it, I play small bursts whenever I feel bored to death from doing something else that's productive. So, doesn't affect me anymore (outside the first week, in which I generally act like an addict until I figure out every single ounce of the game). So generally I have like an allergy to MMOs or anything that's too grind-centered, unless I can cheat (on the first week) to better understand the game and plan ahead for my small play bursts...

Don't play right up until you go to sleep give yourself an hour or so gap and do something else watch a show comedy works well for this sort of thing i find and exercise is also very good if you do enough.

and even if you do try to create your own objective, it's incomplete, so it blocks you from doing it
Or even worse, it is not incomplete but it only takes a really short amount of time, wiping out an entire faction can be done in under 1 hour. Even with a mediocre army of yours.
But to be fair to Bannerlord and Sandbox games in general, it is almost impossible to find the perfect balance between not being a chore and too easy/too quick.
If it would take you days of playtime to conquer a Nation its a Chore, if it gets done in under 3-4 Hours its too easy and even if you made it, it doesn't feel like an accomplishment at all.

And to the Topic. NEVER EVER play an exciting game before bed, honest to god it sounds like i am a grandpa but if you played like me Shooter Games till bed for years, and then stop doing it you realize how easy it is to fall asleep afterwards. Play relaxing stuff, or just watch youtube for half an hour. But nothing that really needs your attention, or in other works, don't let your brain work shortly before bed.

Or even worse, it is not incomplete but it only takes a really short amount of time, wiping out an entire faction can be done in under 1 hour. Even with a mediocre army of yours.
But to be fair to Bannerlord and Sandbox games in general, it is almost impossible to find the perfect balance between not being a chore and too easy/too quick.
If it would take you days of playtime to conquer a Nation its a Chore, if it gets done in under 3-4 Hours its too easy and even if you made it, it doesn't feel like an accomplishment at all.

And to the Topic. NEVER EVER play an exciting game before bed, honest to god it sounds like i am a grandpa but if you played like me Shooter Games till bed for years, and then stop doing it you realize how easy it is to fall asleep afterwards. Play relaxing stuff, or just watch youtube for half an hour. But nothing that really needs your attention, or in other works, don't let your brain work shortly before bed.
well, I've been a semi-pro in counter-strike for like 4 or 5 years... I'd sleep on my keyboard hahahaha
Didn't earn enough money on it to call myself a pro, though... But gud god it was annoying to train everyday hours on-end. Generally speaking games make me bored most of the time, because it's really rare to see anything "new under the sun". It's always more of the same, with some different gimmicks to it hahaha WB made me sleep countless times for instance. Though I hated the vanilla, if I wanted a vanilla game I'd go with Floris, less boring. Or I'd play mods in general... Most were boring, some were okay, others were really awesome, but eventually would bore me too hahaha

Back
Top Bottom