[Disbanded] Clann Uí hUiginn

Users who are viewing this thread

sammac said:
The MacNeils should stay in uist, nuff said

If you're referring to my name. My character is simply the son of Niall and of Clan O'Higgins. There were many Nialls in both Clan O'Neill and O'Higgins and also the Clan MacNeill of Scotland.

My Irish surname in real life is supposedly derived from a Norse given name, the un-noteworthy second son of a minor island-baron off the coast of Scotland. Not quite as cool though as having literally "grandson of a Viking" as a handle (regardless of whether the namesake was actually a viking or not).

Bluehawk said:
My Irish surname in real life is supposedly derived from a Norse given name, the un-noteworthy second son of a minor island-baron off the coast of Scotland. Not quite as cool though as having literally "grandson of a Viking" as a handle (regardless of whether the namesake was actually a viking or not).

My name is from a given name, people say it's Norse, but the Norse hadn't reached Ireland yet. There are several legends pointing to that it's either Brythonic or Caledonian.
Most think Uigin or Uiginn means "Seafarer" or "Viking". It does not. No one knows the true meaning, but it's defienetly not of Gaelic nor Norse origin.

I'll go back to one of the legends; Fiachu mac Néill (Son of Niall of Nine Hostages and ancestor of the Cenél Fiachach of which the O'Higgins are a part of.) or one of his children married a Romano-British Princess, and Uigin was the product of that and he is man the O'Higgins are descended from.

It could of course be a product of the religion the Irish had before the romans stomped over eveything, as far as I understand it this had quite a few substantial similarities to the Asatro elsewhere,
including names for deities among other things which could explain the presence of something similair to "Hugin". But of course, it is a bit easier to verify that it is borrowed from the vikings, given the exact same spelling and pronounciation,
as well as the Higgin's prolonged rule under the vikings.

Nah, it can't be related to "Hugin" except as a loanword. *Huginaz, or whatever it would have been in Proto-Germanic, would have started with a c- in any native Irish forms due to Grimm's Law (cf. Irish clois and English listen < Old English hlysnan).

And Shorty, the O'Higgins weren't all under Viking rule, our lands were West of Dublin, so only those in the Viking court would be under their rule. Though many did marry into the Vikings, not all did.
You seem to think that the Vikings ruled all of Ireland, which is highly incorrect, Shorty.

Le' bump.

Gah! I need to do something to my thread, but I'm not entirely sure. Ideas?

And also a late update;
Several new members added to the roster and probably more to come. Still need to talk to a few about more historically accurate names.

Personally I'm not a big fan of spoilers, when it comes to making something look good in this forum. I agree the roster is the bit with the most potential to be further pimped up. I would consider dropping the non-Víkingr names from the roster, but maybe you guys really need them to be able to tell who is who. :razz:

hrotha said:
Personally I'm not a big fan of spoilers, when it comes to making something look good in this forum. I agree the roster is the bit with the most potential to be further pimped up. I would consider dropping the non-Víkingr names from the roster, but maybe you guys really need them to be able to tell who is who. :razz:

Yeah my guys tend to forget who is who.

It's starting to look better already! I'd advise you to experiment with tables to fill up some extra space with the people from the lesser ranks. Maybe you could frame it with images with Celtic patterns or something, just like with the post as a whole, but I have no idea how that'd look.

I'd use the plural for all the ranks except for the Toísech: Airig Arda (I think), Goídil, Ócairig, Ceithernaig, Gallgoídil, Liðar. Personally I think the Gallgoídil with the Norse names and the Irish clan name are a bit out of place, though.

hrotha said:
It's starting to look better already! I'd advise you to experiment with tables to fill up some extra space with the people from the lesser ranks. Maybe you could frame it with images with Celtic patterns or something, just like with the post as a whole, but I have no idea how that'd look.

I'd use the plural for all the ranks except for the Toísech: Airig Arda (I think), Goídil, Ócairig, Ceithernaig, Gallgoídil, Liðar. Personally I think the Gallgoídil with the Norse names and the Irish clan name are a bit out of place, though.

Yeah, I was looking for certain classes in the Gaelic society, but the problem is nothing is solid, so I've worked with what I had. I'm trying to look harder on the subject.
And they're just supposed to be either Norse-Gael relatives of the Clan or those who have taken up the Clan name. So, naturally the names seem a bit weird. Though I wouldn't mind having Ua hUiginn restricted to those who want it, and then have Gaelic and Norse names to the others, but the problem is it'll be hard to keep track of who is mine and such - as I've seen randomers with my banner from time to time.
Perhaps I could try find a Norse equivalent.

Edit: And yes, perhaps a good picture and maybe a less-an-eye-sore text.

Back
Top Bottom