Devs should steal some MODs!

Users who are viewing this thread

LordCesare

Recruit
Right now many people who keeps playing this game is using some sort of tweaking mod.

For me personally, I use a mod that applies the XP from training perk to every troop instead of just 1 troop in a stack.
This mod saves me from having to constantly chase looters just to have a decent army.
And this mod have been improving my gaming experience a lot!

So I thought, why don't the devs look at those most popular tweaking mods and implement those in the game?
In fact, this is exactly what the crusader kings 2 have been doing, they always "steal" ideas from those most popular mods, such as ck+ or hip.

It's surely safer to take over a tested and popular tweak or feature than experiment some new tweaks in latest patch and risk enraging many people!

BTW I think the devs should be experimenting things in EA, but some other source of information will be helpful!

For the perks I've been hoping they're working on a big change or new system, that's the only excuse for not bothering to just activate them.
Current mods are just little band-aids to get through this rough spot and we can hope that as more content is added we will need them less because the core game will be more manageable and have all the tools we need. At the same time mods will get more ambitious as the game gets more stable.

well u got the bow mod with enable all the bow perks. the community mod which enable all the stewardship and most leadership perks. the diplomacy mod which enable kingdom diplomacy, prisoner mod which makes prisoners not broken. smithing mod which fixes smithing stamina, garrison mod which makes garrisons work and gain xp, trait mod which makes the traits work. there are more mods but u get the point of there are literally mods that make there game work with most of its features but they still **** around with dumb balancing **** rather than actually make the game features they put in work. kinda sad

I saw an argument on another thread recently that I like to relay.
Basically, as developers have to not only consider the current state of the game but the future state as well, adding foreign code would be horiible for their code integrity. I think most of you still remember the first week after EA when taleworlds literally punched out patch after patch to fix crashes, this is because they build the engine by themselves and are thus more familiar with it than if they had hired somebody to do it for them like most game studios do.
It makes fixing bugs, Ctd's and performance issues simpler and will lead to a better game in the long term.

I know having patience after waiting for 8 years and being stuck at home due to covid is not easy, but warband was a game many people spent 1000+ hours on, so just let the devs do their thing and it will be fine.

Basically, as developers have to not only consider the current state of the game but the future state as well, adding foreign code would be horiible for their code integrity. I think most of you still remember the first week after EA when taleworlds literally punched out patch after patch to fix crashes, this is because they build the engine by themselves and are thus more familiar with it than if they had hired somebody to do it for them like most game studios do.
It makes fixing bugs, Ctd's and performance issues simpler and will lead to a better game in the long term.

I know having patience after waiting for 8 years and being stuck at home due to covid is not easy, but warband was a game many people spent 1000+ hours on, so just let the devs do their thing and it will be fine.

This. +1

But then it would have been even more important to publish a much more polished EA not?
Do all your homeworks internally, change, adapt the code, fix the main structure of the game, then publish, players will tell you the little glitches and bugs you could not possibly notice in your limited test pool, so modders could just expand upon the game, instead of putting their hands into the code and the mechanics.

But then it would have been even more important to publish a much more polished EA not?
Do all your homeworks internally, change, adapt the code, fix the main structure of the game, then publish, players will tell you the little glitches and bugs you could not possibly notice in your limited test pool, so modders could just expand upon the game, instead of putting their hands into the code and the mechanics.
It would've been much better to release a finished product. Polished EA is a bit of an oxymoron. It serves the purpose of, well, having access to early builds.
Problem is that by today's standards an alpha or a beta can mean nothing short of "hey, here's what the game will look like in 2 months" and when people do get their hands on a proper alpha or a beta game all hell breaks loose because it's beyond broken.

In a Q&A with tw devs (10days earlier), someone asked if they ever examine mods and use any useful solutions. And he said he looked at mods that morning and seen a few really good mods but don't think he will look at code and use it(never thought of it to be exact).

So I thought, why don't the devs look at those most popular tweaking mods and implement those in the game?

devs for obvious reasons cant make a game with a thousand options, otherwise it becomes a nightmare to maintain, test and expand. Modders dont need to worry about that, if they break something its fine, as just a small number of people are using it (and they usually understand that yelling at the modder is wrong).

what devs can and do is watch for suggestions, etc, and add stuff they like to their todo list.

if there is something you like and you saw on a mod... why not post a suggestion on the suggestions forum?

devs for obvious reasons cant make a game with a thousand options, otherwise it becomes a nightmare to maintain, test and expand. Modders dont need to worry about that, if they break something its fine, as just a small number of people are using it (and they usually understand that yelling at the modder is wrong).

what devs can and do is watch for suggestions, etc, and add stuff they like to their todo list.

if there is something you like and you saw on a mod... why not post a suggestion on the suggestions forum?

I'm NOT suggesting the devs should just copy a mod and done with it.

I'm suggesting that using the information of popular mods as a indicator of what features are popular among players.
You remember Viking Conquest DLC? That's what I'm talking about.

Besides, suggestions are very subjective, what I love may not reflect what the majority loves.
After all, number is way more reliable than individual opinion.

The 1000+ hours put into the game is not NATIVE M&B by the way.
TW by creating the engine to allow modders to be creative and do their things is by far the most important aspect I am looking out for in Bannerlord.
There are many new features in the game that will allow plenty of new quests / ways of playing that will surpass M&B.
The devs should focus on creating a stable and crash free base game, that to me, is sufficient for a proper release.

The 1000+ hours put into the game is not NATIVE M&B by the way.
TW by creating the engine to allow modders to be creative and do their things is by far the most important aspect I am looking out for in Bannerlord.
There are many new features in the game that will allow plenty of new quests / ways of playing that will surpass M&B.
The devs should focus on creating a stable and crash free base game, that to me, is sufficient for a proper release.

I agree, but they need some "reforged features," game is too bland at the moment.

I'm suggesting that using the information of popular mods as a indicator of what features are popular among players.

from millions of players you get mods that have a few hundred or thousand installs. Even the most popular ones like Brytenwalda would have about 100k at most.

So nope, mods by themselves are not a thermometer of what is popular or not, they are a perfect example of niches and how different groups enjoy unique settings for the game.

Devs on the other hand need to consider what is suppose to work for the millions and work on the more generic version. They also have their own vision and have to follow it, otherwise the game becomes a mess without any context. Do they always make it right? Nope. Is what they decide the best? That depends on each player perspective. As long they can sell the game to the millions, they are doing their job.

However TW does something different from most game studios. They allow modders to completely remodel their games to fit any niches. They already spend money and time to build that option, its not something that comes easily or for free.

Should they watch mods? Sure. Mods are just another form of suggestions. They talk about those things among themselves and make the decisions of [what fits in the general game], [what is possible to do with our resources], etc. So dont worry, they are watching the mods, the suggestion threads, the videos, the forum/reddit discussions, etc. Just dont expect any particular thingy, just because you like that one particular thingy, to show up in the main game.

Right now many people who keeps playing this game is using some sort of tweaking mod.

For me personally, I use a mod that applies the XP from training perk to every troop instead of just 1 troop in a stack.
This mod saves me from having to constantly chase looters just to have a decent army.
And this mod have been improving my gaming experience a lot!

In fact, this is exactly what the crusader kings 2 have been doing, they always "steal" ideas from those most popular mods, such as ck+ or hip.

It's surely safer to take over a tested and popular tweak or feature than experiment some new tweaks in latest patch and risk enraging many people!

BTW I think the devs should be experimenting things in EA, but some other source of information will be helpful!
I would say devs are very aware of popular mods since bannerlord is pretty much Perisno with new graphics and less content (right now in EA, also best mb mod in my personal opinion). Chances are they will add at least basic QoL tweaks later on, or they will be eventually fleshed out by modders anyway (just like happened for mb). I would say the second option is what will probably will happen.

Back
Top Bottom