Democracy...... Good or Bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do you think Democracy is just a popularity contest and is a weak form of government?

Or you think its the best thing ever?
What are you though on the matter?

Lets debate!

eagle_in_front_of_the_american_flag.jpg

I like it when the will of the majority doesn't infringe upon the rights of the minority.

Sooo...

American_Bald_Eagle_Flag.jpg

Man. If that first one didn't have that ugly as **** kiddie bald eagle, it would be so much better.

Burgass said:
Causes you to have erectile dysfunction raging boners of patriotism?

Swadius said:

Ah yes. The land of maple syrup. And bears. Lots of bears.

Not the American kind of bear, though. I hear those ones will claw off your face and eat your unborn children.

I like the idea of democracy in the United States in its earlier stages where only men who actually had land, education, and in general a stake in the outcome of political decisions so they would have a legitimate understanding of all its workings could vote. And the government only facilitated the most basic functions needed for the well-being of a civilized society. This form of democracy was soon to be replaced by a kind in which any ill-bred peasant with a brain no larger than his left testacle could effect the outcome of important decisions. The same man who began to usher in this form of democracy also strengthened the federal government allowing it to further interfere in the personal lives of its subjects. Thank you President Andrew Jackson.

But that was just the beginning. It's roughly two centuries later and I am not a very big fan of our form of democracy. All things, good or bad, require balance and the balancing aspects of democracy have long been stripped away.

Garluch said:
... only men who actually had land, education, and in general a stake in the outcome of political decisions so they would have a legitimate understanding of all its workings could vote.
There's a limit to how far you can stretch the term 'democracy'.
What you're describing here is plutocracy or plutarchy - just a little step away from totalitarianism.

Absolutely nothing wrong with democracy. If a democracy fails, it's because of the people living under it. A system should not be changed to accommodate for, or be blamed for, the ignorance and stupidity of its populace. Democracy works, but it takes effort. Bad combination with humans. An educated, informed and enthusiastic population can make it work.

Now whether such a thing can be attained is another debate. What can be certain is that even switching to a more firm government like an autocracy still runs the risk of a having a completely moronic twat in control. The difference is that in a true democracy, it takes a million ****heads to ruin a country, not just one.

Back
Top Bottom