Decent mounted combat in a commercial game (possibly)

Users who are viewing this thread

LetterAfterZ said:
How does the average child have a low IQ. That makes no sence. The average child has an average IQ.

I meant an average 10 year old whiner who spends too much time playing games, TV / fast food / schools and government teaching kids (and adults) not to take responsibility and blame others, etc, and therefore having a low IQ.. Problem is, as Ingolifs said, that is the case in most "average children" today... Forgive me for not phrasing the thought properly ::razz:

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2 game) has the best horse animations and controls I've ever seen. You actually control the rider rather than the horse itself, ie. you press a button to whip the reins or kick your spurs to get it to run faster, and you yank the reins left or right to get it to turn. The sword your character wields cannot be swung on horseback (the games only enemies, which happen to be skyscraper sized monsters, make this useless), however, you can equip your bow and fire it while mounted and you can even leap up and stand on the horses back Zorro-style while loosing arrows towards an enemy Colossi. The horse itself is very realisticly animated and wanders off if you jump off to explore on foot and comes galloping back if you whistle or call its name. Like I said, there is no regular mounted combat per-se, but horse riding, and the whole game for that matter, is brilliant. If you've got a PS2, then, seriously, go and get this game. I know I'm gushing but it really is one of the best games I've ever played.

Adios,
Frost

EDIT: "Horse riding are brilliant?!?" Gaah my brain is melting.

Pity I don't have PS2, and generally dislike the controls of a console ::smile:
But sounds like that is what I'm praying M&B to become ::grin:

There is an older game for PC called Conquerer: 1086 AD.  Most of the game is pretty crappy, but there is a jousting 'minigame' that is by far the funnest part of that game.  The MMO Dark Age of Camelot recently implemented horses that could be ridden into combat zones, but had to be dismounted in order to do any fighting (LAME!)  The plus side was that you could equip your horse with different barding.  A feature like that would be interesting for M&B, some sort of horse customization.  The MMO Ultima Online has all kinds of crazy creatures you can ride around on and fight from the back of, but there is nothing special about it since you just point and click where you want to go.  Shadow of the Collossus has a sweet horse feature.  I like how the horse is afraid of heights, and slows dramatically anytime it gets near a cliff.  Since you said 'mounted combat' I have to mention the game Drakhan: the Ancient Gates for PS2, which has you riding around on a dragon.  I enjoyed the dragon flying and combat vs. other dragons.  That's about all I can think of.

Volkier said:
I meant an average 10 year old whiner who spends too much time playing games, TV / fast food / schools and government teaching kids (and adults) not to take responsibility and blame others, etc, and therefore having a low IQ.. Problem is, as Ingolifs said, that is the case in most "average children" today... Forgive me for not phrasing the thought properly ::razz:

ahh granted :wink:

Back
Top Bottom