Dead State kickstarter

Users who are viewing this thread

Ah, was just looking for a thread on this, was gonna start one up. I just pledged 15$ on this. Looking forward to it. Hope they can get an agreement with Valve for steam, I hear they're pursuing the chance.

This game doesn't even seem anything special to me and people are throwing so much money into it 2 days after the kickstarter started... An apparent generic turn-based game in 2012. )

What need is there for publishers and having means if you can leech the money of fools hyped by your story? Dream come true website. :grin:

I've been keeping an eye on Dead State and jumped on this when I saw they finally got the Kickstarter going and announced it on their forum. Nice to see it's on a fast track to being funded.

Harkon Haakonson said:
This game doesn't even seem anything special to me and people are throwing so much money into it 2 days after the kickstarter started... An apparent generic turn-based game in 2012. )

What need is there for publishers and having means if you can leech the money of fools hyped by your story? Dream come true website. :grin:
Yeah, well that's just like, your opinion, man.

Or to put it more seriously, two things:
1. Not everyone is interested in the same things as you, no surprise there.
2. Perhaps others have read up more on who is working on it among other details. The writing in VtM:B was great.

Janus said:
2. Perhaps others have read up more on who is working on it among other details. The writing in VtM:B was great.
1. Indeed! I am merely surprised so many would be indeed interested in something of the sort. :razz:
Maybe because there's no any other serious Zombie RPG? That's got to be it. Good RPG's are abundant. And zombies aside, none of the features are anything particularly new to the genre.

2. I did read the entire page in search for something interesting. Yes, I have seen that they have worked on other acclaimed titles, but to me that is never a reason to be hyped over a game until I see some concrete gameplay.

I am by no means flaming the act of donating, it's just quite extraordinary to me.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Janus said:
1. Indeed! I am merely surprised so many would be indeed interested in something of the sort. :razz:
Maybe because there's no any other serious Zombie RPG? That's got to be it. Good RPG's are abundant. And zombies aside, none of the features are anything particularly new to the genre.

2. I did read the entire page in search for something interesting. Yes, I have seen that they have worked on other acclaimed titles, but to me that is never a reason to be hyped over a game until I see some concrete gameplay.

I am by no means flaming the act of donating, it's just quite extraordinary to me.
They do show bits and pieces of gameplay in the two recent videos they have available. However, from what you're saying, I agree that it's probably not the game for you. Fair enough.

I saw this earlier today, and threw my share in the pot.

In the meantime, I found this game to be enjoyable.  :mrgreen:
the-waiting-game.jpg

Looks like a sleeker Project Zomboid. This should be fairly interesting.

Ooh, take my money, NOW!

spartan012 said:
Looks like a sleeker Project Zomboid. This should be fairly interesting.

Or even sleeker Fort Zombie. Although I have to say that I have grown to like more that real-time pause&plan system than turn based, but it'll be good. The strategic game is where the most attraction to me is; base building, research, survivor & food gathering, supplies managing, exploration, etc. That leadership system and persuating survivors, as well as encountering rival gangs & looters are also a nice touch.

I'll be waiting this one with great anticipation.

**** I thought this'd died in 2010. Good to see it's still got hope. And before you knock it as just another zombie game, think how many serious and good zombie games there are. Dead Island had potential, but had they not copied all the wrong parts out of Borderlands and Dead Rising, it could've been good.

From the Kickstarter video, I think I'll back it. If I lose $30 and it turns out to be ****, oh well. At worst, I'll have an e-peen badge to troll the official forums if it's a failure. At best, it turns out to be a great game that I play for countless months or years and I never even check the official forums because of how good it is.

And then I get to use the e-peen badge to become a hipster on the official forums a year after it's done and I've played the hell out of it, having liked it so much that I bought it before it was cool.

The dialogue, character creation, and turn based traditional RPG combat are enough to have me interested. An actual zombie survival game is just a bonus.

I believe the developers call this a Zombie Apocalypse Survival Game, rather than just a Zombie game. Because it is not fully focused on Zombies. It is focused on a group of people that try to survive.

RPS Interview with Dead State Developers - Brian Mitsoda and Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda said:
Brian: We don’t even say the word “zombie” in our game. The writing is all about the humans, the major conflicts are all human, and the zombies really are just this background noise in the story and combat. Putting normal people under pressure and seeing the ways the player can manipulate or encourage them – that’s fun. Zombies aren’t really that fun to write – we’ve got some really sharp zombie moans in there, don’t get me wrong – but 95% of the game is about the humans.

Annie: Reading stuff Brian’s written for characters who are dealing with being infected, or having a loved one be infected – that’s the distilled essence of the zombie genre to me, that gnawing tension and that constant fear, and just figuring out how to deal with that day after day. I think that’s really been brought across well in the game, even this early on, so I really honestly don’t feel that people who are sick of standard zombie games will be sick of Dead State. It just feels too different from what’s out there right now.

For the full interview, clicky.

They share their news on their forums. There is only one update on Kickstarter.com that I've seen, but they answer questions in the comment section, so that's good enough for me.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Janus said:

You no like game I like like no me you like game me like.

I keel you.

Tempted to pledge, but have thrown enough money at games already. And not sure if the gameplay is something for me, even though the whole surviving the apocalypse with base building and research is definitely my kind of game.

Back
Top Bottom