Dead State kickstarter

Users who are viewing this thread

Harkon Haakonson said:
TaleWorlds forum : The only forum of a company in the Internet where Moderators have free reign to insult other users based on their own, different opinion. I figured you guys ought to be more diplomatic. I think you need to eat a little bit less red meat buddy, I did remain civil throughout my posts...
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you visited Internet for the very first time, yesterday. As is typical, a person whose flippant comment is shown to be silly, relies on passive-aggressive demands for "politeness", instead of owning up to being silly. How bláse.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Honestly, what seems like a good RPG in Dead State for you, doesn't seem very exciting to me. It's a naive point of view to disregard most post-2000 RPG's, the genre itself is evolving and shifting more towards ARPG's and similiar styles, which I don't mind. I find it pretty refreshing actually. If you don't like them, that's within your right, but many RPG players also enjoy the modern approach. So there, a matter of personal appreciation.
Ah, allrighty then. The sort of games you find refreshing are the only sort of semi-RPGs made in the last seven years aside from indies. One would think a person would be filled to the brim with refreshness but apparently you can still fit some in. You're not actually talking about RPGs but hack&slash/shooters with meaningless "stats" and DA2/ME3 are exactly the sort of crap you love to gobble down. Discussion over, the COD-crowd will welcome you with open arms.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Oh, how could I forget SW:KOTOR.
Apparently the smuggler storyline is decent but otherwise the whole game is ****, so there you go. And considering how hard Tortanic is sinking, that's not a subjective opinion.

I still think there is a ton of decent rpgs out there but there isn't a whole lot of quality rpgs which is probably the difference. Now a days all the ones I see are simply a numbered sequel to a previous game wherein the ruin the entire feel of the first one by making a complete **** second/third/fourth one.

Jhessail said:
Only genre even more starved than RPGs are flight simulators, where the good post-2000 games can be counted with the fingers of a single hand.

Oddly enough I think they are a few that came out this year including that free to play microsoft one (I think that is out) and a few military ones by the company that makes arma.

Jhessail said:
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you visited Internet for the very first time, yesterday. As is typical, a person whose flippant comment is shown to be silly, relies on passive-aggressive demands for "politeness", instead of owning up to being silly. How bláse.
I'm quite familiar with the Internet and unreasonable people, lol. I just think abusive moderators shouldn't be tolerated, anywhere. Just as you find my comment to be silly (which really is a completely unfounded claim thus far), I find your views largely naive and unreasonable. Genres change and sticking to the most classical definitions of RPG's and only consider these as the good sort is the only silly thing here in my opinion. Silly because it's unlikely that these will ever be made again and have the appeal they did over 10 years ago.

And NONE of the games I mentioned have "meaningless stats". I took extra care to include only RPG's that even being considered ARPG's have a large emphasis on stats present in classic RPG's. It's clear you're just talking out of your ass now. And you speak as if every single modern RPG that has been released is the same. Yes, I find it fun and refreshing to see hybrid games with enough RPG elements to give them that much more depth. Like I said before, if you don't, that's a matter of taste.
Please, everybody I've ever talked to that played KOTOR 1 and 2 through loved the game. **** was ahead of its time.

Also, lol COD crowd. Where did that one come from. Your attempts at trying to make me sound "silly", and out of nowhere, an apparent FPS kid amuse me. I find it funny that you say I love to gobble down ME3 and DA2 when I didn't even mention them in my other post as decent RPG's; which, you know, probably means I don't like those games. You know a argument is over when someone spews out so much fallacious blabber!

Kevlar said:
Jhessail said:
Only genre even more starved than RPGs are flight simulators, where the good post-2000 games can be counted with the fingers of a single hand.

Oddly enough I think they are a few that came out this year including that free to play microsoft one (I think that is out) and a few military ones by the company that makes arma.
And there are literally a bunch of CRPGs being made this year. Coincidence?

@HH, If they have not muted you yet for just being against them. They ain't being abusive. Get over it.

Harkon Haakonson said:
I'm quite familiar with the Internet and unreasonable people, lol.
Lol, you obviously aren't. I'm not shouting in your face, so getting offended because an avatar on the Internet calls you retard is just silly.

Harkon Haakonson said:
I just think abusive moderators shouldn't be tolerated, anywhere.
Do note the "language" part before the "moderator" part. Even more, am I truly being abusive? Being called retard once isn't really abusive on anonymous gaming discussion boards. Grow a thicker skin, please.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Just as you find my comment to be silly (which really is a completely unfounded claim thus far), I find your views largely naive and unreasonable. Genres change and sticking to the most classical definitions of RPG's and only consider these as the good sort is the only silly thing here in my opinion. Silly because it's unlikely that these will ever be made again and have the appeal they did over 10 years ago.
I haven't been naive in ten years, thanks for the chuckle. Unreasonable, sure - but you're the one who started this whole thing when you thought its unreasonable to fund an indie RPG because there are so many "good" RPGs out there.

Harkon Haakonson said:
And NONE of the games I mentioned have "meaningless stats". I took extra care to include only RPG's that even being considered ARPG's have a large emphasis on stats present in classic RPG's. It's clear you're just talking out of your ass now.
Ah, the gauntlet has been thrown down! Well, I didn't want to derail this thread by analysing your examples before but here we go:

Neverwinter Nights 1
Extremely railroaded campaign that is bursting at the seams with filler combat. Due to solo-play with only one AI controlled "henchman", the fairly sophisticated 3.5 D&D combat is reduced into completely brainless "let's explode them into giblets"-show.

Neverwinter Nights 2
Very linear campaign that is bursting at the seams with filler combat. While 3.5 D&D is still bastardized to fit into the abomination that is RTwP, at least a 4-person party allows few more tactical possibilities. Too bad hardly any encounters utilize that possibility.

The Elder Scrolls games
Arena - very promising, if flawed gem.
Daggerfall - the sandbox RPG that all others should try to emulate and surpass. Too bad many skills are useless.
Morrowind - smaller in scope but better in presentation. Still suffers from crappy ARPG combat.
Oblivion - absolutely ****. Thanks to auto-levelling of enemies and dungeons, stats don't matter. Or rather, it's better to pick useless skills as "class" skills, so you get to remain on level 1 while having high fighting skills, so you can easily breeze through the idiotic plot. Manages to also rape Bethesda's earlier TES lore.
Skyrim - improves from Oblivion, though doesn't reach even Morrowind. Still has crappy ARPG combat. (Single) Follower control is almost non-existent.

Sacred 1 and 2
Diablo clones, which is to say Gauntlet clones.

Gothic series
More first-person goodness! The two first ones are pretty good hiking simulators, third one being a horrible piece of vomit. Not really RPGs, are they? As it's entirely possible to ignore the stats as long as you are good enough with the ARPG system.

Dungeon Siege series
More Diablo clones. When are we getting to the good RPGs?

Titan Quest
Another Diablo clone.

Diablo 1 and 2
Oh, the famous Gauntlet clones! So hack&slash is a good RPG now?

all the Deus Ex
Well, finally. Deus Ex is an excellent game, though also an ARPG. The sequels are awful, though and stay as ARPGs.

all the Might and Magic games
I doubt you've even played these blobbers. In any case, the last decent one was Mandate of Heaven in 1998. That's not very promising, considering that it's 2012 now.

Dark Messiah : Might and Magic
Oh, pure action games are now examples of "good RPGs", are they? And you're accusing me of talking out of my ass? *****, please.

Torchlight 1 and 2
Oh, yet more Diablo clones. Yippee.

So let me count - your "off the top of my head"-list of good RPGs has one good ARPG and a series of blobbers from the 1980s and 1990s. Rest are action games or hack&slash or ARPGs. Not very convicing at all, Harkon.

Harkon Haakonson said:
And you speak as if every single modern RPG that has been released is the same. Yes, I find it fun and refreshing to see hybrid games with enough RPG elements to give them that much more depth. Like I said before, if you don't, that's a matter of taste.
Except they don't give them any depth or not much of it at all. We've had nothing but ARPGs for the last several years, so it's quite annoying to read someone praising this "refreshing" change of "hybrids". Aside from Bethesda, we're only getting 3rd person ARPGs or then Diablo-clones. Skyrim isn't much of an RPG, but it sold millions and millions (and got raving reviews) just because it was so different from the other big names on the market.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Please, everybody I've ever talked to that played KOTOR 1 and 2 through loved the game. **** was ahead of its time.
Please, everybody I've ever talked to that has played them through agreed that the first one is a perfect example of Bioware's decline - recycled plot elements from NWN/BG2 (that were to be recycled in DA&ME), many recycled characters from BG2/NWN (that were to be recycled again in DA&ME), ugly 3D graphics because that's what the mass market wants, ridiculous and easily broken combat system borrowed from SW D20 and naturally a tiny three-person party. The second one has only one redeeming quality and that's Chris Avellone and co at Obsidian, who tried to play with Star Wars cliches and show how silly the whole black&white universe is. Everything else is still ****. If you can't see that, you haven't played good RPGs.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Also, lol COD crowd. Where did that one come from.
Irritating when simple insults have to be explained. You like H&S games and simplistic ARPGs. Hence you would fit in extremely well with the COD crowd (who also like simplistic action games). To which crowd games like DA2 and ME3 have shamelessly pandered towards, hence my assumption that you liked them too but just didn't mention them because they got panned by so many fans.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Just as you find my comment to be silly (which really is a completely unfounded claim thus far)

To be fair if I say that tactical shooters (Rogue Spear/H&D/Ghost recon) are abundant and then list games from which most were released five to ten years ago or are dumbed down from their predecessors, it's a bit silly. Because they're not abdundant, not in the way they were ten years ago.

Give me a demo of this game and then maybe it'll get my funding  :wink:

Cookie Eating Huskarl said:
Harkon Haakonson said:
Gothic series
Recently started playing 1 again. 2 was the game of my childhood. 3 destroyed everything my childhood stood for, even after the community patch it was still a piece of broken ****. Arcanum is a largest piece of turd I have seen wearing a RPG name.
Have Gothic 2 I actually really liked that one. Was far too young for it though, didnt understand much and mainly ran around and killed stuff. Then ,years later, news of a new Gothic game. I was hopeful. Then the game released and there were gaemplay videos...How the **** did they manage to make it look even worse than Gothic 2 or is my memory failing me?
When I saw your Arcanum is **** statement, I was all like wtf, Arcanum is a brilliant RPG. I think even Jhessail likes that one. Then I remembered there was Arcanum Gothic thing....yeah
Harkon Haakonson said:
all the Dungeon Siege games
Arguable 1 was pretty solid and 2 was mediocre as far as RPGs go. Don't even touch 3.
Loved the first one. Played the **** out of the second one. Played it more, but still thought it wasnt as good as the first one. I cared a whole lot more what was going on in the first one. Was excited when 3rd was announced. Then there was gameplay. Console piece of ****. Played the demo. I was disgusted that they dared call it Dungeon Siege. Mother****ers. But yeah, they were all just ARPG`s, and nothing special. Linear stories and no choices. Probably liked them so much cause they were the first RPGs I played after Diablo 2. Another series ruined by making it more modern.
Harkon Haakonson said:
Diablo 1 and 2
Diablo 1 and 2 are ARPGs and not everyone who likes RPGs like ARPGs. I do like them, but diablo's getting really old. Diablo 3, I can't play since my internet connection is not good.
Like people have said, ancient games. Still good though. And D3 is nothing like them. I wouldnt even call it Diablo anymore, but it has the same lore....raped lore

Jhessail said:
To which crowd games like DA2 and ME3 have shamelessly pandered towards, hence my assumption that you liked them too but just didn't mention them because they got panned by so many fans.

I was given the impression that ME3's combat was widely considered to be the best in the trilogy. ME1's combat solely consisted of accumulating tiny bonuses and spamming Marksman while waiting for Lift to cool down, and ME2's was a dumbed down contard TPS with very little mechanical interaction for powers. They could tone down the biotic explosions in 3, but beyond that it's the most mechanically interesting and provides the most robust gameplay experience.

It's the goddamn ending that has people up in arms and taking a good look at the other flaws in the series.

The quest log was ****ed up as well. You could not complete a lot of quests unless you randomly went everywhere or scanned all planets  or you just searched the internet. The questlog told you nothing of use. Kinda similar to Skyrims quest log, only worse imo.

Well, yeah, but the quest log alone wouldn't have gotten Biodrones to start hating on BioWare.

They'd be going 'OMG 99% OF THE GAEM WURS ORHSUM EXCEP 4 LOG, YAAAYY SHOUTOUT TO ME1 INFANTORY WOOOOOO1!`!!~!~11'

I'm expecting Jhessail to start railing against Biodrones any post now. :razz:

Nah, I'm pretty exhausted on that front. And I have no sympathy for the people who only got angry over the ending of ME3, as it was clear from ME2 already that the writers had no ****ing clue what they were doing with the series. But try to explain that to Biodrones...

As for combat, I haven't even touched ME3 but reliable sources have informed me that the combat is mechanically broken, as certain Biotic and Tech-skill combos instakill anything short of bosses and as the skills recharge so quickly, it isn't a "novel tactical solution" but rather an INSTANT-WIN button you can press as often as you want. ME2 apparently had better combat. Doesn't really matter, simplistic cover based shooter with stupid AI isn't my cup of tea.

Iridetheshortbuss said:
Give me a demo of this game and then maybe it'll get my funding  :wink:
There will be a demo of the full game, when it's released.

You want to go to Reddit and its r/gaming to roast hipsters. Or to Something Awful. Both have massive pretentious circle-jerks, when they are not too busy dissecting the all-important social messages in games. Like whether Lara's moaning is too sexual in the new Tomb Raider and how awful it is that Crystal added a RAPE SCENE (that's not actually a rape scene) in the game.

Back
Top Bottom