"Data Access Violation" problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Right, so as folks might or might not know, relatively recently I upgraded my PC to use Window 7 64-bit. Now, on the whole, it has been a major improvement, though as the thread would suggest, there is a rather annoying issue I would like gone.

First of all, I have tried googling the details of the problem, but couldn't find any potential solution that was within the realms of trustworthiness or free-ness (not paying $30 for a year's worth of something I can't guarantee will work).

Well, so that I don't start rambling about only semi-related stuff, when I'm playing a game, or even trying to start up some (I'm looking at you E:TW) after a while, the computer does the "XXX has stopped responding" thing that plagues everyone's screen at some point, checking the event log comes up with "Exception code: 0xc0000005". I've went through the usual scan with the AV and it didn't flag anything up, and I had even done a complete wipe of both hard disks, so I'm guessing those aren't the problem. So if anyone has any experience with how to resolve this problem, whether it be from personal or otherwise, I would be rather thankful of such.

Oh, and I'm not sure if it's related or not but it seems it could be, with certain games (ARMA 2 and Forged Alliance come to mind), trying to install them ****s up because of CRC errors, though that may be due to ****e disk drives as well.

Access violation errors are 75% of the time caused by corrupt or badly written drivers. On a 64 bit Windows OS you can up that to 99%.

If it's gaming I'd assume graphic or sound drivers are the likely culprits. If you've got the latest sound & video drivers installed try rolling them back or otherwise getting a couple of different versions and see if they improve things any. Unfortunately when it comes to windows the code monkeys seem incapable of writing x64 drivers for some reason.

Other possibility is a duff ram chip. You can try running memtest86 or the like to stress test the ram and see if it returns any problems.

Well, I've got the graphics driver downloading now, and see if that was the issue. If not, well it'll be fun trying to find the audio driver :razz:

About the duff RAM, wouldn't that just cause bluescreens rather than just crashing the process?

Well, memtest86 doesn't want to cooperate apparently. Even though I'm sure I did things bloody well correctly.

I installed the windows bootable ISO thingie, extracted from the zip, then chose the burn disk image, as the site stated. My boot priority also has the disk drive being the highest on the list, so as far as I can see, the thing should've worked, right?

Back
Top Bottom