Dark Souls 2

Users who are viewing this thread

YYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Killed the last giant on first try.  :grin:
Died 50 time before it tho, that boss was easier than the mobs.

I hate getting swarmed by 4-5 mobs.  :neutral:

Also killed the Pursuer with help from a phantom.

I'm loving this game more than the first.

Can anyone tell me how the Zweihänder compares to that of first DkS? Is it the relatively fast godly stunlock weapon that it was in the first game? Can I flatten even big enemies with it?

Rebelknight said:
YYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Killed the last giant on first try.  :grin:
Died 50 time before it tho, that boss was easier than the mobs.

I hate getting swarmed by 4-5 mobs.  :neutral:

Also killed the Pursuer with help from a phantom.

I'm loving this game more than the first.

Yeah, the Last Giant was a push over. Unfortunate, 'cause I really liked the character design compared to the boring old Pursuer, who was a real hassle for me to take out.

Just got the Sunlight Spear miracle, and damn does it kick ass. Praise the Sun!

\ [╦] /

Every time I co-oped with people that Giant gave them the most trouble. I understood in one case because the thing just bellyflopped on my friend and neither of us had seen that move before and he is rather large.
The Pursuer was only difficult because people kept ****ing killing me with the same ballista.

I think Sunlight Spear has a little tracking now which is why it's so much more potent.

Thanks for that. Now I can finally progress. The Mage's Tower kept kicking my ass but it was the only way I could find. I'm really too spoiled by Skyrim and all its waypoints...

Waypoints are everything that is wrong with modern gaming.

Joined a Dragon Covenant and having a blast dueling on the bridge to the Iron Keep. I thought that a spear build wouldn't be too viable for pvp (low damage) but I'm not doing too bad when I wield it with both hands. I mostly just have to be patient, wait for them to attack, dodge and then poke them and repeat.

:wink:

Just beat the final baddie. Kinda bummed since she was ridiculously easy, but then again the final boss in Dark Souls was also easy I suppose. I've still got two more optional bosses to beat and a bunch of NPCs to kill before moving on to NG+ though, not sure if I want to do the bosses in or not, since they seems ridiculously hard, but on the other hand, if I don't kill them I don't know how I'd ever hope to kill them on NG+.

Beat it last night, found a way for my build to cheese one of the endgame bosses so I kept bonfire ascetic'ing his ass and killed him over and over until I got his level up to NG++++++ (the max). Leveled up to SL200 (which I'm sure I'll regret, but this will just be my pve build I guess), never killed the final optional boss, but **** that guy, hit NG+ and started to breeze through it, took out "Artorias" mk2 without any trouble and about to make my way towards the Iron Keep next.

Also PvP seems to be a good deal more interesting in NG+, I regularly get invaded (which was surprising given my level) and have even been able to do some co-op and duels without any down time. My build works okay as long as I don't get cocky, I barely do any damage since I'm a spear user, but I keep my equip load under 30 so I can roll away, hit them once, and then roll again. My favorite is when they decide to use Estus (which I always thought was looked down upon in pvp, but oh well), since it lets me one shot them with a Sun Spear.

After having been essentially unable to sit down and enjoy the game for a good two weeks, I finally blew essentially every minute of free time this weekend on this game. I've come to the conclusion that it's quite possibly the single best action RPG on the market, now and into the forseeable future.

Gotta say I agree. I particularly like the innovative online play. For example...

I just found out that the Mirror Knight boss summons actual players to help him, and that you yourself can be summoned by the knight!

I was also looking at a list of all the weapons and armor that I've collected and it's massive!

Also, just found Gower's ring...

...and when you put it on, you can actually see the ghost of a guy hanging onto your back to protect you from backstabs! Talk about a cool design.

Moose! said:
Gotta say I agree. I particularly like the innovative online play. For example...

I just found out that the Mirror Knight boss summons actual players to help him, and that you yourself can be summoned by the knight!

I was also looking at a list of all the weapons and armor that I've collected and it's massive!

Also, just found Gower's ring...

...and when you put it on, you can actually see the ghost of a guy hanging onto your back to protect you from backstabs! Talk about a cool design.

I just fought the Mirror Knight (or as they now say, Looking Glass Knight) yesterday, and he seemed to only spawn in random enemy NPC black phantoms, copies of others found in areas like the Belfries. I know in Demon's Souls, when you fought the Old Monk it would tell you if you were fighting a player, I got no such message in that fight. How does one get summoned?

On another note, I have to say after having been to many of the areas in question in regards to the whole lighting debacle, I can safely say that by and large, the lighting in this game is perfectly fine, and in fact, amazing in its execution in some areas. You don't necessarily need a torch, per se, in many areas, but there will be parts where you will find yourself wanting one as you stalk through the darkness, and lighting sconces helps immensely with fighting and just making the area more hospitable in general. There's one boss fight in particular that's made much more user-friendly by lighting some hidden torches, and some enemies will fear torches, which will absolutely save you in one particular area.

The environmental effects themselves are perfectly fine. The issue, at least in the picture of the salamander pit, is not the lighting, since on the descent one can see the pit looks perfectly fine were it not for the area-specific red atmospheric effect which kicks in. Honestly it looks better, and in fact fine without. The god-ray effects from lighting sources are beautiful as well, I honestly had to stop for a minute and stare multiple times at the beautifully sublime portrait of
Drangleic Castle
framed against the dim sun. The level design, barring only one blessedly-short area which I loathed (which still had its redeeming qualities), is honestly never better, combining and expanding upon the best aspects from Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. I have to say,
The Shaded Woods
is probably my favourite area in any Souls game. I walked a couple steps in nervously, heard the ambiance, saw the bloodstains and instantly ran back for a torch. Brilliant design.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
How does one get summoned?

If you leave a Red Soapstone sign in Drangleic Castle, there is a chance that he will summon you.  :razz:

Vermillion_Hawk said:
On another note, I have to say after having been to many of the areas in question in regards to the whole lighting debacle, I can safely say that by and large, the lighting in this game is perfectly fine, and in fact, amazing in its execution in some areas. You don't necessarily need a torch, per se, in many areas, but there will be parts where you will find yourself wanting one as you stalk through the darkness, and lighting sconces helps immensely with fighting and just making the area more hospitable in general. There's one boss fight in particular that's made much more user-friendly by lighting some hidden torches, and some enemies will fear torches, which will absolutely save you in one particular area.

Lightning hasn't been an issue for me either - only thing I've noticed is some damn ugly textures, but I wouldn't say that any of them are bad enough off putting, they are mostly environment textures. All the character models and textures look rather nice.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Brilliant design.

I've been coming around to the design more on NG+. I still don't like the sprawl, but individual areas interconnect quite nicely in a way that I didn't quite notice on my first play through.

Moose! said:
I've been coming around to the design more on NG+. I still don't like the sprawl, but individual areas interconnect quite nicely in a way that I didn't quite notice on my first play through.

I was going to mention earlier, actually, that the geography of Drangleic is not nearly as disconnected as some people like to say. You can see the major landmarks, mostly, from Majula, and vice versa in the case of the
Tower of Flame
although
Harvest Valley and the Iron Keep
make absolutely no geographical sense, both in relation to the other areas and in the way one gets from one to the other. That was the only instance of me being genuinely confused as to how in the hell those two areas were related, though.

Do it from the in game menu.

Huh, found something weird in the Old Iron Keep. I'm at the last bonfire and I'm looking out of the right eye, and I see this strange shiny object (not an item, looks more like a phantom) standing in a church. When I position my screen just right, the screen suddenly starts to get dark. I can also see it from the top of the Iron Keep, and again my screen goes dark. I wonder what it is.  :???:

Back
Top Bottom