Custom Settlements Original Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
wickedshot said:
general dynamic scene object placement

Please tell me when you've got any news on this (besides not being possible :razz: ), I guess more than just a hand full of modders have found this a hard nut to crack.

Awesome job though, and kudos.

Hey guys how do i change the settlement name? And btw i lost my station garrison button T_T what happened?Can't train craftsmen nor can i get more recruits T_T

wickedshot said:
Great post!  We're thinking on the same page, thats for sure.  Or you're reading my secret design documents! O_O heh.  heres my most up to date design document of main planned features:

I am actually a lolcat. And yes, "Im in ur computer, steeling ur mods".

wickedshot said:
Currently the main thing I'm hoping to get from others is settlement scenes (once I've got 10 or more I plan to make a new overland map with only settlements), as they are time consuming and require a lot of effort and inspiration to make good ones.  While I feel I'm getting better at it, it's not my strong suit heh, plus it delays the game mechanics of which I'm more focused on.  I've included a helpful guide in the second post of this thread for making a group of 9 scenes to the required specifications, and a shell settlement in the module source code compilation in which to test it.

I also want more quest dialogue and companions, though I think those will become more important for version 0.9 and up

This is ironic, because I couldn't code a box of cereal, but I absolutely love scene building! It's actually a lot like the TES Construction Set, only with different controls. I am expecting that I will reach 110% awesome with it in a couple of days. :wink:

I read the "guide to making your own scenes" thing and it is super handy, though I do have a question.

Do you want to have 9 vanilla settlements, or do you want any faction-specific ones? I could make a variety or focus on a specific faction; though I think attacking one faction at a time (heh) is a good idea.

Let me know what you'd like!

-Lance

edit: Also can I modify the existing settlements you've made? I'd like to add more detail and fix up a few minor things (like the cute church on a slope)

wickedshot said:
Custom Settlements 0.3 released, also linked in first post.

Major changes include:
Multiple settlements system
New settlements:
Charfield: near Halmar, big open area (max size) and flat-ish, great for horse archers.  has a nice marketplace
Ettlesen: near Yalen, in a hidden valley with ruins, interesting terrain and cool castle and towers
Can add Lords/Ladies, must have a Castle Town (econ2/military2) and have claimed an extra settlement, then enter Castle and talk to your companion and ask them.  Note only your first two troops enter the castle with you.  You can give orders to your lords on the world map; and can gather all your lords and ask where they all are, by talking to the peasant elder (will change this function to steward)

Other Changes:
Peasants sometimes leave villages and come to your settlement (and your lords settlements), high prosperity increases the chance of this.
Peasants sometimes leave villages and roam aimlessly, you can meet them on the overland map and convince them to go to your settlement, or hope they randomly find it heh.
Many other changes, like cattle follow instead of being driven.

Next thing I'm doing is adding the ability to create caravans and troop parties to guard patrol your settlements (to help out before you can get lords), and add some more settlements.  Also working on adding a steward and general AI for lords and their settlements so they grow.

Module files source code released as well, linked in second post.  Theres also a guide to how to make your own custom settlement scenes from scratch, anyone doing so can upload them and I'll try to incorporate them.

Man I just love your work lol don't mind my earilier posts i figured out the problems lol

Hello there, I see you have your 3 main options picked out for patch 4.0, :smile: glad to see one of mine is in there. Got a few more idea's, not cream of the crop like I was comming up with before im sure, but here goes.

My first idea is destructable buildings and seige weapons.
    When you seige a castle, you always see that trebuchet or catapult there in the background, but you can never use it, and the enemy walls are in perfect shape, aside from one broken down block from the body guard overskirt. It would be awsome to be able to lay waste to the walls and kill some of the defenders like you would in a real seige, some options could be:
- Trebuchet/Catapult has 3-4 shots worth during the battle, were it breaks down some of the wall, not even passable, but just for the looks.
- Maybe have an option for it in the seige menu, when you go to build your ladders or seige tower you can ask to have it bombarded as well, which will cause the walls to look more battered, and lower some of the defenders numbers
- If the damaged walls is implemented, then maybe a good shot or 2 can cause lower morale on the enemies side and higher morale on your side.

My second idea is intelligance, like, military intelligance, knowing your enemy before you even attack, some possible ways to do this would be:
- Captured lord of that castle/town while a prisoner in your party gives you 10 battle advantage when you attack the castle/town that he owns.
- Failed attacks, when you seige them....and lose, then the next battle you would have +5 battle advantage, as you know the layout, and how to get into the place.
- Captured troops, from the same faction, would give you +1 battle advantage, cuz you can "torture/interrigage" information from him, about how hiss faction fights, or the layout of the towns from the soldiers that serve in them.

My third idea is to have paved roads, and while on these roads, going from town to town, or castle to castle, your map speed would be increased by 50%, as its easier and faster to walk no a flat hard surface than it is to walk over a hilly crumbly surface.

Thank you for your time in reading these suggestions, and wish you best of luck. :smile:

@SPQR: ive considered something like that, there is the possibility given what i know, though im still not sure if its ideal compared to just having a lot of camps around in good positions.  i will be looking into it more though, and the ease of it will determine whether or not i do it (if i do id make sure to add a lot of conditions to prevent too many being placed together).

@Francisian: thats not a bug, looters are the same way, most of them have no clothes or armour, some of them do tho, you obviously just notice the girls more heh

@Soil: i believe i can do it based on the code and operations ive seen.  i dont likely plan to use it for whole building placement or destructive walls and such unless the clipping issues can be resolved, since once a building is placed inscene if it is removed you still can't walk there.  mostly i plan to use the object placement/rotations for things like sieges for ladders and opening or closing doors, if its feasible.  i'll have a much better idea of what i can do and what i will do when i get to that phase of my plan though, so don't give up hope yet heh.

@Lancien: feel free to edit the current scenes if you can make them better.  Custow was my first attempt and kinda rushed near the later scenes and the earlier scenes tended to be worse just because i knew less about making scenes in general, and i used an uninteresting scene base because i wanted to be simple in my first attempt.  Ettlesen is fairly well made in my opinion, tho it does lack a few details i meant to add but skipped over (like i forgot to add items around the merchants in some scenes).  Charfield is decently made and has a well filled market, but other than that its fairly empty (partially by design to make it free flowing and ideal for horse archers) and could use a bit more flair.
As for types of new settlements, I want a large variety meant for any faction and even new factions, since in the end anyone could end up owning them.  My next intended settlement is in a snowy mountain pass, and after that I planned to make a desert one, a river one (possibly located at a bridge) and a port city one, to basically cover all the bases.  After that I intended to just start adding as many of any type as possible.
But in general, any are nice and given the amount id like in the end (around 100 or more), theres no settlement that wouldn't be useful.

Dalizon said:
Hello there, I see you have your 3 main options picked out for patch 4.0, :smile: glad to see one of mine is in there. Got a few more idea's, not cream of the crop like I was comming up with before im sure, but here goes.

My first idea is destructable buildings and seige weapons.
    When you seige a castle, you always see that trebuchet or catapult there in the background, but you can never use it, and the enemy walls are in perfect shape, aside from one broken down block from the body guard overskirt. It would be awsome to be able to lay waste to the walls and kill some of the defenders like you would in a real seige, some options could be:
- Trebuchet/Catapult has 3-4 shots worth during the battle, were it breaks down some of the wall, not even passable, but just for the looks.
- Maybe have an option for it in the seige menu, when you go to build your ladders or seige tower you can ask to have it bombarded as well, which will cause the walls to look more battered, and lower some of the defenders numbers
- If the damaged walls is implemented, then maybe a good shot or 2 can cause lower morale on the enemies side and higher morale on your side.

My second idea is intelligance, like, military intelligance, knowing your enemy before you even attack, some possible ways to do this would be:
- Captured lord of that castle/town while a prisoner in your party gives you 10 battle advantage when you attack the castle/town that he owns.
- Failed attacks, when you seige them....and lose, then the next battle you would have +5 battle advantage, as you know the layout, and how to get into the place.
- Captured troops, from the same faction, would give you +1 battle advantage, cuz you can "torture/interrigage" information from him, about how hiss faction fights, or the layout of the towns from the soldiers that serve in them.

My third idea is to have paved roads, and while on these roads, going from town to town, or castle to castle, your map speed would be increased by 50%, as its easier and faster to walk no a flat hard surface than it is to walk over a hilly crumbly surface.

Thank you for your time in reading these suggestions, and wish you best of luck. :smile:

ill take those ideas into consideration when i start working on dynamic object placement, ill have a better idea of what i can do then.

id call military intelligence Tactics, and im thinking ill try making the Tactics skill more useful in general (first idea i have is to make the distance from your settlement that you can use the "lure enemies" option be based on your Tactics skill).
interrogation on captured lords could be interesting, ive been wanting some ideas for things to do in your prison, so ill think about that.

about roads, i dont think its possible to edit the world map dynamically during play

wickedshot said:
@Francisian: thats not a bug, looters are the same way, most of them have no clothes or armour, some of them do tho, you obviously just notice the girls more heh

I know its a not a real bug its just a feature that is funny thats all :lol:

Anyways, on a serius note, when is the next version coming :mrgreen:

Yeah, this mod is the pure essence of awesome, can't wait to see more (female) naked units :mrgreen:
Seriously now, are you planning to replace all the villages with the custom ones, or do you want to implement a certain number of them?

vadermath said:
Yeah, this mod is the pure essence of awesome, can't wait to see more (female) naked units :mrgreen:
Seriously now, are you planning to replace all the villages with the custom ones, or do you want to implement a certain number of them?

for version 1.0 i plan to have a new overland map with only custom settlements.  i hope to have atleast 10 custom settlements by then.

@Francisian: version 0.4 will prolly be out this weekend

haha its funny with the female looters because when you capture them put them in your settlement and walk around you see naked women running around everywhere  :grin:

First of all, thanks for this awesome mod, this is my first post, forgive my english im Spanish.

Well i have one problem i use custom settlements 0.35b, when i attack a caravan, a villagers etc... in other faction the relations to this faction goes down, ok, but the color of this faction isnt red so nobody atacks me even if i atacks every lord of that faction they never atack me, the relation reach -100 but nobody siege my settlements and nobody atack my party.

Some Help Please.

Thanks in Advance.

Pentodus said:
First of all, thanks for this awesome mod, this is my first post, forgive my english im Spanish.

Well i have one problem i use custom settlements 0.35b, when i attack a caravan, a villagers etc... in other faction the relations to this faction goes down, ok, but the color of this faction isnt red so nobody atacks me even if i atacks every lord of that faction they never atack me, the relation reach -100 but nobody siege my settlements and nobody atack my party.

Some Help Please.

Thanks in Advance.

i won't have that fixed in the next version (0.4), but thats exactly the kind of thing im going to get working nicely for version 0.5

wickedshot said:
Pentodus said:

Some Help Please.

Thanks in Advance.

i won't have that fixed in the next version (0.4), but thats exactly the kind of thing im going to get working nicely for version 0.5

Ok, no problem, Thanks wickedshot

vadermath said:
So, whats in the works for version 0.4?

Well the main purpose of 0.4 was another settlement and patrols, caravans, and peasant parties.

Because of 0.35 fixes i added most of the patrol part, so 0.4s improvement over 0.35 will be caravans and peasant parties.  As well as other random improvements.

The peasant parties part of it (using your peasant elder to send peasants from your settlement to other settlements) also was applicable to my earlier peasants, so now when you go to a village to get peasants you have the choice of sending them to your main settlement, or any others belonging to your faction.  Also instead of them waiting nearby your settlement they now enter it as visitors (the same way native lords visit towns without actually being garrisoned) and you can see them listed as visitors, they'll visit for a bit before actually joining.  That change came because I applied the whole visitor thing to them and caravans, and is quite nice because it allows me to make the check for them less frequent and less involved, meaning they're safe while waiting and it generally improves performance.

The caravan part is nice, because not only does it let you see your caravans when they're in your town, but it lets you see other visiting caravans from other factions (instead of them just seeming to disappear).  Caravans will add around 200 gold to your weekly profits per caravan (you can have up to 10 caravans if your trade skill is high enough).

Another nice part of the visitor thing, is that I can now check for visiting parties and add them inscene.  So if a caravan is visiting, I can make a merchant in the scene that you can shop from, and other interesting possibilities.  I'm also planning to make it so nearby patrols and lords/ladies show up in scene.

Overall should be a nice improvement over 0.35, I'm also going to try to improve the upgrade system so its more obvious whats going on and why you can't build a certain upgrade.

i was playiong today, and yhad all 10 of my patrol parites and 2 of my lords with me, i seiged a settlement and they didnt join, is there a bug for that? or? did i do something wrong?

Just some more ideas comming outa my head :smile:, suprise supirse.

My first idea was more gore, if its able to be done, what i belive would be cool is when you kill someone, its not just 2-3 lines of red on their face and a 1 second splash of blood, but insead, when they are killed, all of their clothes have blood splatter marks and you can see a definate gash on their body, were its extra red.

My second idea is more vocal sounds, perhaps more intence form of combat sounds, such as people screaming like its the end of the world, and when a a few weapons clash its more then just a little cling, but sometimes there will be a thump, sort of like someone getting shield bashed and landing on the ground with a crash.

My third idea is dealing with vassales, Maybe when you capture a settlement that is not a custom settlement, you claim it as normal, but then you can hire a lord, acting exactly like npc lords from the nords, swadians, or any of those factions, only yours, and under your control, and when you hire them, you can place them under control of the settlement you just captured, and the settlement will behave just like a regular npc settlement, only under the control of the lrod you placed in charge of it, which in turn you control him.

Thanks for your time in reading these suggestions, and I wish you best of luck, and happy holidays.

For the first and second idea, it is not related AT ALL to Custom settlements.  If you want better gore and battle sounds, try Brutality by Vilhjalmr.

And the third is a bug, not a feature yet to be added, and will be fixed in .4.  Read the topic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom