Custom Settlements Original Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the worst bug is that if you capture a town or castle, it starts you as a rebel faction, and doesn't add that town or castle to your current faction.  Ah, it is a wonderful job, though.  Guy must be Chinese.  This brings back memories of the good old days of Dionisia...

sounds great! waiting for a stable release before i take the plunge...would love to incorporate it into my mod eventually.

Yeah, I would ask that too, I own all three settlements, main one is a castle town, and I have companions ready to become lords.  How do I do that?

Francisian said:
Very good then but i have that haringoth error to report aswelll :???:

I went to that casttle village and "bought" 3 peasnt groups, i got 3 red eroor messages, 2 grouos were going to custow but the other one satyed behind and i coudlnt talk them into coming(surrender or die or leave), the other 2 groups didnt came in because the third one was behind doing nothing :cry:

Ohwelll im going to try buiyng one at a time :wink:

Juts thought you should know :cool:

SCRIPT ERROR ON OPCODE 22:
invalid script parameter
ID: 1; LINE NO; 1:
at script create_peasant_heard

Do not get me wrong, I can copy the error message but I'll be damned if I have any clue to as to what it means...

Corporal_Nim said:
Francisian said:
Very good then but i have that haringoth error to report aswelll :???:

I went to that casttle village and "bought" 3 peasnt groups, i got 3 red eroor messages, 2 grouos were going to custow but the other one satyed behind and i coudlnt talk them into coming(surrender or die or leave), the other 2 groups didnt came in because the third one was behind doing nothing :cry:

Ohwelll im going to try buiyng one at a time :wink:

Juts thought you should know :cool:

SCRIPT ERROR ON OPCODE 22:
invalid script parameter
ID: 1; LINE NO; 1:
at script create_peasant_heard

Do not get me wrong, I can copy the error message but I'll be damned if I have any clue to as to what it means...

Perfect, thats the red text I wanted to see heh.  I have a fix for that and will update shortly, and include some of the stuff that was going to wait for 0.4 (AI management and making a companion into your steward).  Might not break saves, not sure (haven't added any new scenes or anything gamebreaking in the game_start code).

To make a hero into a Lord/Lady, talk to them in the castle.  I'm fairly certain I have that written atleast two places (in first post and the description in file repository heh).  To get a hero with you in the castle they must be in one of the first 2 slots after yours.  I'll think about allowing you to do it in your manor too, though I prefer that you knight them, etc. in your castle, just feels more right heh.

Also note that you can still get peasants in the outdoor scene as encounters, and peasants will randomly leave villages and come to yours if your settlements prosperity is high (I didnt notice the error because I never bothered doing it the old way cause its harder heh), also travelling peasants sometimes spawn and wander aimless around low prosperity villages (if you see the message about them leaving their village you can try to track them down).

really want to play a stable version
I download 0.1 in 21/12 and you release 0.3 in 22/12
after download 0.3 I see those post about the unstable
damn it but I like this mod :evil:

This mod is a truly heroic effort! You sound like you're having fun making it too, "a labour of love" if you will, and that's a great thing. It's certainly putting the "life" back into the medieval world of Calradia!

Here's some more ideas you might like, and please note I am trying to use terms from the mod to help with perspective, I'm not telling you what to do! Use your ideas for your mod however you like, man. :wink:

Village chapels and priest: This would be a buildable upgrade to an economy1 or 2 village, using church_a and church_tower meshes (CommonRes) from edit mode. You could even go so far as to have church_a in eco1 and the tower on eco2. The church's purpose would be to "hear confession" or "forgive your sins" or something, that would give you an honour point once per week. So for evil people it would 'redeem' you and for honourable types it would be further piety. Another idea (kind of stolen from Stronghold 2) would be that you could "hold a Mass" in which you would pay money to increase the village's prosperity. I think there are enough "rises over time" improvements, so I like the idea of one in which you can control, though at a cost (literally). Later on, the priest might have quests for you? I'll work on that if additional quests becomes a feature.

Ruined castles: This is an idea for a "military 0" building. I like the idea that there are a bunch of castles out in the wilderness and stuff that are all decrepit and run-down. Broken walls, burnt out keeps, that kind of thing. Lots of places to run around! Maybe it would be infested with bandits? In any case, you could capture these ruined castles and repair them - at great cost - into a functioning castle. It would have to be a tough battle to obtain and a hefty cost, for balance issues. I'd only recommend maybe 1-2 ruined castles in each factions' territory. This would probably involve making "ruined" wall meshes and stuff. I don't know how difficult that is, but I suppose you could start with the existing wall meshes, and that's a good thing, right?

Inhabited battle scenes: A lot of battles you have on the world map are in desolate areas. I'd like to see some battlefields, especially in "heartland" areas take place on farmland, orchards, maybe even have houses and huts in the background! Agincourt was fought in the fields between two villages. Fields with fences, small huts and things would make for great tactical advantage, and give you an idea on the carnage of war on ordinary life. Oh, even better - random npc townsfolk who fled either army! Having civillians in a combat scene would be awesome.

Bandit Camps: Those suckers can raid you, why not be able to raid them? These would exist as "neutral" bandit faction villages, and have bandits instead of townsfolk defending them, but would have prosperity just like other villages. Ideally you'd have the option to raid them for wealth, or subjugate the bandits, making them a neutral village from which you could recruit bandits or trade. And It would give honourable types something to raid and it would kind of help the world make sense with all the bandit types running around anyway. This would tie in nicely with the ruined castles idea. Those could be 'bandit strongholds'. Next, we'll have bandit lords!!! You know, that's not a bad idea... :wink:

Holding a Tournament at your Castle: I may have mentioned this before (so forgive me if I have), but it wouldn't be too hard to implement. You could have a "herald" who you could tell to announce the tournament, and it would only be doable once a month or something. Then it would just port you into an arena scene, though ideally it would be an open field with a list, with the knights' tents arrayed on a field, a village or castle (or both!) in the background. Maybe some wooden stands, like the early scene from A Knight's Tale (movie). On a personal note, I never really liked the city arena type tournaments. The early ones were held in a big open area anyway, and a battle scene would accomodate that more appropriately. Plus it would be cooler to fight in a bigger area in arena tournaments!!

Hmm, that might do for now. It's a lot of text to get through! Suffice to say that I have plenty of ideas. :wink: Also on a related note, if you're looking for some help (big or small) or anything like that, please PM me! I'll be more than willing to help out with writing quest dialogue, creating companions, making scenes, anything like that.

Thanks for reading through my ideas. Hope you find something you like! :smile:

-Lance

Alright, heres Custom Settlements 0.35, link in first post is updated as well, and the content of the first post as well.  This is half of what I planned for 0.4, but I figured I wouldn't wait since I wanted to fix the peasant problem, and at that point might as well include my new changes.

Main Additions
Settlement Management AI:  Stewards (for your settlement) and Lords/Ladies (patrolling nearby their settlements) improve the prosperity and production (up to 60) of the settlement.  Lords/Ladies will give any prisoners they get to their settlements, and will add troops to their settlements (current formula is if lord has more troops than settlement to split the different and add it to the settlement, or if the settlement has more but the lord has over 50 troops, then to give half of the extras to the settlement).
Stewards: Improve prosperity and production in your settlement, will lead your garrison army in battles.  More functions coming.

Many other small changes, like in your "Manage Settlement" menu theres a new option to "Name Party" which will rename your party with your name with Lord/Lady or King/Queen in front of it.  Also 1 heroe can often be found in settlements with villages (econ1) but no tavern yet (econ2) outside hanging around (and you can hire them).  Also when a settlement doesnt have a manor yet another 1 or 2 of your hero companions in your party will show up in scene hanging around.

To make a steward or Lord, you must bring the companion you want, to inside your castle indoor area.  To bring a companion in, the companion must be in one of the first 2 spots in your party list after you.  Additional requirements for Lords are that you have a fully upgrade settlement, i.e. a Castle Town, and that you have claimed an extra settlement for them to own.

do the lords or ladies you make upgrade a settlement? or did i miss something and you give them a fully made settlement?

also i coudlent control the settlements in 0.3 which i got today

Pali Gap said:
I think the worst bug is that if you capture a town or castle, it starts you as a rebel faction, and doesn't add that town or castle to your current faction.  Ah, it is a wonderful job, though.  Guy must be Chinese.  This brings back memories of the good old days of Dionisia...
I'll see about a quick fix for that, but note that in my plan there won't be any non-settlements, so any time spent on such would only delay my eventual goal of an all settlement overland map heh, with no appreciable benefit from the fixing of that bug.

Dalizon said:
do the lords or ladies you make upgrade a settlement? or did i miss something and you give them a fully made settlement?

also i coudlent control the settlements in 0.3 which i got today

you can only manage and organize the settlement you claim for yourself, and then you can only claim more settlements for your faction after you've become king/queen (i.e. have a castle town) and you can't manage or organize these.

lords and ladies settlements will upgrade if they meet the requirements to upgrade (excepting the gold and reputation).

lords settlements start as camps or whatever they were when you give them to them.

lords settlements gain the things needed to meet the requirements over time, production and prosperity go up on their own if the lord is nearby, and the lord will put troops and prisoners into the settlement if they get extras.  peasants will go to the lords settlements more often when the prosperity is higher.

Lancien said:
This mod is a truly heroic effort! You sound like you're having fun making it too, "a labour of love" if you will, and that's a great thing. It's certainly putting the "life" back into the medieval world of Calradia!

Here's some more ideas you might like, and please note I am trying to use terms from the mod to help with perspective, I'm not telling you what to do! Use your ideas for your mod however you like, man. :wink:

Village chapels and priest: This would be a buildable upgrade to an economy1 or 2 village, using church_a and church_tower meshes (CommonRes) from edit mode. You could even go so far as to have church_a in eco1 and the tower on eco2. The church's purpose would be to "hear confession" or "forgive your sins" or something, that would give you an honour point once per week. So for evil people it would 'redeem' you and for honourable types it would be further piety. Another idea (kind of stolen from Stronghold 2) would be that you could "hold a Mass" in which you would pay money to increase the village's prosperity. I think there are enough "rises over time" improvements, so I like the idea of one in which you can control, though at a cost (literally). Later on, the priest might have quests for you? I'll work on that if additional quests becomes a feature.

Ruined castles: This is an idea for a "military 0" building. I like the idea that there are a bunch of castles out in the wilderness and stuff that are all decrepit and run-down. Broken walls, burnt out keeps, that kind of thing. Lots of places to run around! Maybe it would be infested with bandits? In any case, you could capture these ruined castles and repair them - at great cost - into a functioning castle. It would have to be a tough battle to obtain and a hefty cost, for balance issues. I'd only recommend maybe 1-2 ruined castles in each factions' territory. This would probably involve making "ruined" wall meshes and stuff. I don't know how difficult that is, but I suppose you could start with the existing wall meshes, and that's a good thing, right?

Inhabited battle scenes: A lot of battles you have on the world map are in desolate areas. I'd like to see some battlefields, especially in "heartland" areas take place on farmland, orchards, maybe even have houses and huts in the background! Agincourt was fought in the fields between two villages. Fields with fences, small huts and things would make for great tactical advantage, and give you an idea on the carnage of war on ordinary life. Oh, even better - random npc townsfolk who fled either army! Having civillians in a combat scene would be awesome.

Bandit Camps: Those suckers can raid you, why not be able to raid them? These would exist as "neutral" bandit faction villages, and have bandits instead of townsfolk defending them, but would have prosperity just like other villages. Ideally you'd have the option to raid them for wealth, or subjugate the bandits, making them a neutral village from which you could recruit bandits or trade. And It would give honourable types something to raid and it would kind of help the world make sense with all the bandit types running around anyway. This would tie in nicely with the ruined castles idea. Those could be 'bandit strongholds'. Next, we'll have bandit lords!!! You know, that's not a bad idea... :wink:

Holding a Tournament at your Castle: I may have mentioned this before (so forgive me if I have), but it wouldn't be too hard to implement. You could have a "herald" who you could tell to announce the tournament, and it would only be doable once a month or something. Then it would just port you into an arena scene, though ideally it would be an open field with a list, with the knights' tents arrayed on a field, a village or castle (or both!) in the background. Maybe some wooden stands, like the early scene from A Knight's Tale (movie). On a personal note, I never really liked the city arena type tournaments. The early ones were held in a big open area anyway, and a battle scene would accomodate that more appropriately. Plus it would be cooler to fight in a bigger area in arena tournaments!!

Hmm, that might do for now. It's a lot of text to get through! Suffice to say that I have plenty of ideas. :wink: Also on a related note, if you're looking for some help (big or small) or anything like that, please PM me! I'll be more than willing to help out with writing quest dialogue, creating companions, making scenes, anything like that.

Thanks for reading through my ideas. Hope you find something you like! :smile:

-Lance

Great post!  We're thinking on the same page, thats for sure.  Or you're reading my secret design documents! O_O heh.  heres my most up to date design document of main planned features:
patrols
caravans
enemy settlements
raidable, conquerable, degradeable settlements
dynamic objects, doors, ladder, and more
upgradeable indoor areas and special areas
spouses, children? more interaction with heroes
overlandmap with only settlements

Churches and Thieves dens are some of the special buildings I want to add when I start working on when I come to version 0.8, and your church ideas are great for the implementation.

Currently my settlement "Ettlesen" is a ruined keep area.  And I'm thinking when I get to version 0.5 I'll start adding more ruins to low level settlement scenes to make them more immersive (since you'll want signs of the raiding).

About inhabited battle scenes, I've considered it, and am still, but my main concern is that it might slow things down.  Like if you're going to add 10 more agents to a scene, would you rather it be more troops to make the battle more fun, or 10 peasants to be running away?  So I've delayed on that heh.

I've got plans for bandit controlled camps and rogue lords :wink:  but those will wait til I've moved to 1.0+ when I've got a world of all settlements and factions that build from the ground up for AIs (that kinda stuff is in a design document I don't plan to touch til atleast version 1.0).

Currently tournaments are on the list of things I want to do, but they're more complicated than the benefit at the moment compared to other things, especially since they've already been done in the Native mod.  The mock battles (idea of which i got from you in another thread heh) currently are a low level form of what I'm thinking for how to do tournaments (you might notice the troops all wear tournament armours).  Ideally I'd like any tournaments and other derivatives of mock battles to take place in the settlement scenes themselves (hence why I put an area area in Custow, unused as of yet).  Charfield would likely have a tournament area like the big open fields you mention.

Currently the main thing I'm hoping to get from others is settlement scenes (once I've got 10 or more I plan to make a new overland map with only settlements), as they are time consuming and require a lot of effort and inspiration to make good ones.  While I feel I'm getting better at it, it's not my strong suit heh, plus it delays the game mechanics of which I'm more focused on.  I've included a helpful guide in the second post of this thread for making a group of 9 scenes to the required specifications, and a shell settlement in the module source code compilation in which to test it.

I also want more quest dialogue and companions, though I think those will become more important for version 0.9 and up

I feel that as im so interested in this mod, and taking great interest in it, I would give out a few idea's

My first idea, sence I like brutality, would be the ability to force people into slavery.
    For example, I go on a little stroll, walking in the glass that is green, then i walk upto a pretty village. I would think to myself, I killed off everyone in the last 4 villages, why dont i force these people to work or fight for me. Then go on in the village with my army and kill half the population, and the other half either fight me to the death or give in and be my slaves, from there you can have 3 options
- Join my army (a slave warrior would be weak and cheap and abundant)
- Go to my settlement (the slaves all go to your settlement as prisoners, and be like prisoners)
- Go to my #Lords/Ladies# Settlement #settlement name# (they go to your lords/ladies settlement as prisoners

My second idea is to help build up your lords or ladies settlements
    When your in a village you can talk to the elder and instead of telling them to go to your settlement you tell them to go to a specific settlement that you or a lord/lady owns......only to the new upgradeable settlements though
    Or maybe, what I belive would be pretty cool, is that you can move population from your settlement and send them to another one through the village elder...or stewart, whichever is there. Like "I want to send a group of peasents to #settlement name#", then they go to that settlement and add to the population there

My third idea would be to take away the group cap, or increase it
    I was thinking that the battles would be much bigger, and possibly better when you posses an army of 300-400, instead of being stuck around 103, like I have been.

Thanks for your time to read these few ideas and hope to have more for grabs in the future, oh and Great Work on the mod, im enjoying it better than most :grin:

Dalizon said:
so, how long in game days you think til the lords and ladies settlements show anything?
Hmm, I've got them set to pretty quick for prosperity and production gains, which I'll prolly lower later on.  2 months and theyd have enough of those to reach castle town.

however, they also require peasants, troops, and prisoners.  lords/ladies gain 1 troop on their own every day or so, and they'll occasionally add troops to their settlements, that part of it would take a while to get to military upgrade requirements, id say about 300 days if they never lost a troop and you never gave them any.
they wont gain any prisoners however without fighting and winning, so on their own theres no sure way to know how long that would take, it would depend on how strong they are and what they do and where they are.

you can add troops to the lords and that would increase the rate they add troops to their settlements, you can also give them prisoners and theyll start adding them to their settlements.

as for economical upgrades, once they get around 60 prosperity id say every few days theres about a 1 in 6 chance of a peasant party deciding to leave its village and go to a lords settlement, and those parties usually have around 4 peasants, so maybe 50 days for a village and 200 days for a town?

roughly on par with the time itd take a player to upgrade their settlement.  it all will be adjusted based on feedback.

Dalizon said:
I feel that as im so interested in this mod, and taking great interest in it, I would give out a few idea's

My first idea, sence I like brutality, would be the ability to force people into slavery.
    For example, I go on a little stroll, walking in the glass that is green, then i walk upto a pretty village. I would think to myself, I killed off everyone in the last 4 villages, why dont i force these people to work or fight for me. Then go on in the village with my army and kill half the population, and the other half either fight me to the death or give in and be my slaves, from there you can have 3 options
- Join my army (a slave warrior would be weak and cheap and abundant)
- Go to my settlement (the slaves all go to your settlement as prisoners, and be like prisoners)
- Go to my #Lords/Ladies# Settlement #settlement name# (they go to your lords/ladies settlement as prisoners

My second idea is to help build up your lords or ladies settlements
    When your in a village you can talk to the elder and instead of telling them to go to your settlement you tell them to go to a specific settlement that you or a lord/lady owns......only to the new upgradeable settlements though
    Or maybe, what I belive would be pretty cool, is that you can move population from your settlement and send them to another one through the village elder...or stewart, whichever is there. Like "I want to send a group of peasents to #settlement name#", then they go to that settlement and add to the population there

My third idea would be to take away the group cap, or increase it
    I was thinking that the battles would be much bigger, and possibly better when you posses an army of 300-400, instead of being stuck around 103, like I have been.

Thanks for your time to read these few ideas and hope to have more for grabs in the future, oh and Great Work on the mod, im enjoying it better than most :grin:

all good ideas.  0.4 is mostly about spawning special parties on the map to help you (like caravans and army patrols).  i think ill make it possible to spawn your own peasant groups and be able to send them where ever you want like you said, and thats a perfect extra option for the peasant elder i think.

ill be working on raiding in 0.6, so ill try ton keep these ideas in mind for that.

Lancien said:

-Lance

In the medeval times, the tournaments they held consisted of

1) Archery

2) Jousting

3) Mock battles (multiple men on both (there were usually 2 teams) bring their own weapons) with opposing barons/lords and their friends

4) One on One sword(or something like that) fighting.

anyone else got any ideas? .........

Great work! The player character is a saint, he/she always asks peasants "what can I do for YOU?" :grin: When this is done this should be integrated with the script that allows you to command lords (first seen in Age of Machinery, I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom