Crashes - Gathering of Fixes

Users who are viewing this thread

In big events with a lot of players, some people are still crashing,
This is probably due to our large number of textures and models and we are working on improving this.

For you guys I made a quick list of things you can do to fix your crashes.

1. Load Textures on Demand
A important setting is Load Textures on Demand.
IT MUST BE ON!

When you start Warband click on the "Configure" button;
Configure.png
Make sure that "Load Textures on Demand" is clicked.
Configure2.png
Hit OK.

2. Update Warband
Some people are still running a old version of warband, the latest version is 1.134 Make sure you have it!

If not download it here;
http://www.taleworlds.com/download.aspx?type=2

3. Defragment Hard disk
A funny and important part is that the game can't load the resources fast enough from your hard drive.
To fix this, Use a defragmenting program;

For instance a good and free program is MyDefrag;
Download and install this program:
http://www.mydefrag.com/Manual-DownloadAndInstall.html

Run it and make it defragment your harddrives, what it does is making your loading times shorter, it should fix the problems your having.

4. Update your drivers
Old drivers can get you into lots of trouble, Make sure you get the latest, especially for video card drivers.

If you own a ATI video card look for your latest drivers here;
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

If you own a Nvidia video card look for your latest drivers here;
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

5. Force Single Threading
Some people reported their crashes fixed with this one;
So I throw it out here.

When you start Warband click on the "Configure" button;
Configure.png
Make sure that "Force Single Threading" is clicked.
thread.png
Hit OK.

6. Lower your settings!
Even if your FPS (Frames Per Second) seem to be good on the settings you have, your memory might still get in trouble.
Try turning down some settings, It will probably fix your issues.

Things that are important;
- Texture details.
- Grass/Tree density.
- Model details

We are really putting the engine in its limits, with all these players and high detail materials, Although for the next patch we are probably going to remove all native stuff to make clients not load it. This will be lots of work but will probably help you guys with bad computers.

I noticed you have checked- Use Pixel Shaders and Force Vertical Sync, no idea what these mean but should they slow down or speed up fps when checked?

Also during the line battle the only time i crashed or got timed out message was when the admin kept on changing the map.

Freshly install your video card drivers

1. Install Driver Sweeper http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28Setup%29-download-1655.html.
2. Download the latest and stable driver of your video card.

1. Boot your PC in Safe Mode.
2. Uninstall the graphic card's driver.
3. Restart your PC and boot it in Safe Mode again.
4. Run Driver Sweeper and clean your display.
5. Install the new driver and restart your PC.

Run Mount & Blade Warband in Windows XP Service Pack 3 compatibility mode.

1. Right click on the M&B Warband Icon and choose properties.
2. Click on the Compatibility tab.
3. Tick the first box and select Windows XP (Service Pack3) from the drop down menu.
4. Click the Apply and OK buttons respectively.

DannyT said:
I noticed you have checked- Use Pixel Shaders and Force Vertical Sync, no idea what these mean but should they slow down or speed up fps when checked?

Also during the line battle the only time i crashed or got timed out message was when the admin kept on changing the map.

I noticed that checking Use Pixel Shaders appears to have helped my frame rate significantly.

My brother was crashing frequently while playing this mod and we found out that running warband in different OS compatibility helps a lot, I than tested this on my computer and saw a significant increase in FPS even tough I never experienced any crashes with or without compatbility mode on.

PS. Someone should sticky or merge this thread.  :wink:

I was experiencing loads of crashing and bad lag with a decent computer

q6600 @2.4
4gb ram
250gts

Setting the compatibility mode to "windows service pack 3" did wonders.

Not only it dramatically increased my fps and now able to play full graphics with shadows on (only smoke gets me down to 30fps) but it fixed my crashing problems 100%.

People having problems should try this and report here

Antialiasing seems to have been the issue for one person I know. He was crashing constantly until he turned it off. Furthermore, I've always had it off, and have never experienced a crash, and I certainly don't have a high-in computer.

So, my suggestion for everyone is to try turning Antialiasing off if you have not.

I am currently using an i7 @2.80ghz , 8GB of memory, and a GTX 260. I have all the driver software up to date, but I have tried all of these suggestions and none of them seem to work. I can play with the graphics on low but its still crashes while looking bad. I've tried using dx7 with the same result. I have tried downloading the game from taleworlds instead of steam and reinstalling the mod and still no dice. I have tried running the game in different OS compatibility. I have defragged my pc, but it hasnt changed anything. It doesn't matter what I do, I still crash only after a few minutes, sometimes I am lucky enough to be able to play a whole map.

It all started with the release of P4(and carries onto P5). In all mmmod, waterloo 1 & 2, Prussia 1+2+3, not once did I experience a crash. No matter how I play with the settings or how differently I run the game, I still crash. If there are any other suggestions or things not mentioned in this thread I would be grateful to know them, it is really frustrating trying to play the game, but only to crash every 5-10mins. (and then join back in to wait another round) I really love this mod and I hope I can solve this problem soon because its beginning to lose its fun.

Joshly said:
I am currently using an i7 @2.80ghz , 8GB of memory, and a GTX 260. I have all the driver software up to date, but I have tried all of these suggestions and none of them seem to work. I can play with the graphics on low but its still crashes while looking bad. I've tried using dx7 with the same result. I have tried downloading the game from taleworlds instead of steam and reinstalling the mod and still no dice. I have tried running the game in different OS compatibility. I have defragged my pc, but it hasnt changed anything. It doesn't matter what I do, I still crash only after a few minutes, sometimes I am lucky enough to be able to play a whole map.

It all started with the release of P4(and carries onto P5). In all mmmod, waterloo 1 & 2, Prussia 1+2+3, not once did I experience a crash. No matter how I play with the settings or how differently I run the game, I still crash. If there are any other suggestions or things not mentioned in this thread I would be grateful to know them, it is really frustrating trying to play the game, but only to crash every 5-10mins. (and then join back in to wait another round) I really love this mod and I hope I can solve this problem soon because its beginning to lose its fun.
Same like this man (though not a PC as good, but more than good enough for this game). Even the versions are exactly like this for me too, all was fine and dandy till version 4. All I can do now is to play it in windowed mode, since it won't crash and can still look relatively good (at least much better than everything on low, where it crashes anyways)

Leberecht Reinhold said:
Do you have a 32-bit OS?
If yes, thats probably the reason... If not, i dont know.

Its strange that started crashed since mmprussia4...
Yep, Windows 7 32 bit
why?

Because doesnt matter how much memory you have, 4GB, or 400GB, a 32-bit will limit you to 3.2GB. Plus more restrictions (memory used by the OS) you get that you have much less memory than you expect.

Solutions for this? Well, you can upgrade to a 64-bit OS (you can simply upgrade, but you will have a lot of fragmentation, or doing a proper upgrading that will cost you some hours, but with a lot of benefits, not only in warband...) or say to the system that you want to allow more memory to the game. I dont remember how this is done in Win7, use google. By default it only allows 2GB, put up to a 1GB more.

Dunno if that will help, but usually crashes have something to do with loading loads of textures, or a large map, so the system dont have memory ---> CRASH.

Windowed mode does erm.. "fix" the crashing, but it is terrible to play in. However, I did manage to play the full length of the line battle today without a single crash. It works but appears a bit laggy to me, even on low graphics. (something with it being windowed?) I will use this but I hope it is not the only solution.

Uhm... it seems that the crashing that kept bugging me for soo long was stopped by disabling the "Load textures on command" option. Why were all of you telling me all the time to enable it (which was so since I installed the game)?
Gah nevermind now I get runtime errors all the time, I just can't play this mod normally

I have never experianced crashes since:

Changing to direct 7 in the main configuration
Lowering my settings to the lowest except texture detail and character detail.

I have a crap computer too:

Nvidea 7010
3gb RAM

My crashes have been fixed ever since I unchecked the three boxes under the HDR setting area.

Almost all of my crashes are runtime errors...have no idea what that means, but it's hella annoying.

Back
Top Bottom