Version number
e1.8.0
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
Yes, I used mods.
Dump identifier (optional)
2022-09-25_23.30.41_9361159b3fa9f1072151752cb4b62ddf
Summary: I have this 130+ hour save game from all the way back when the game launched managed to play it up until 1.7.0 came along. I've last played it in 01/31/2022 but i believe that when 1.7.1 came around i coudnt load that save anymore, at first i thought it was mods but i've been testing with another save from the same time and that one is fine with the same mods (now updated to 1.8.0). I have already tried using the steam BETAS feature to go back to a previous version but 1.7.0 and 1.7.1 versions crash at start up even when reinstalling the game from the ground up with absolutely no mods.
Normally i would never ask for help in a forum for a savegame that i've modded but in this case i really believe it has nothing to do with mods and it was worth the shot getting a dev to look into the savegame.I have been trying to fix this one for over a year now, reinstalled the game multiple times to no avail.
I don't know if i should just post my .sav file here, if that's necessary i should post it a soon as possible.

How to Reproduce: Try to load my save game
Have you used cheats and if so which: in this particular save game i have used the "make war" and "make peace" commands multiple times.
Scene Name (if related):
Media (Screenshots & Video):
Computer Specs:
GPU: RTX 2060
GPU Driver Version: 516.94
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
RAM: XPG 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte A520 AORUS ELITE
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): HDD

language_data.xml seems to be a new file for 1.8.x and Steam doesn't remove it if you downversion to 1.7.x, the game seems to crash when trying to parse the file and it will look in all the language folders not just the selected language so delete them all.

Also I just went and checked downloads of ImprovedGarrisons for 1.8.0, 1.7.2, and 1.7.1 and only the 1.8.0 version contained a language_data.xml file so you may want to double-check all the mods you intend to run.

Hey, once you install a mod to your save file, disabling it wont change anything. I can still see your mods implemented to the save file. You need to manually remove the mod files, verify the integrity of the game files and try to reproduce the issue on a new campaign. If the issue is persistent on a new campaign after these steps please let me know.

Hey, once you install a mod to your save file, disabling it wont change anything. I can still see your mods implemented to the save file. You need to manually remove the mod files, verify the integrity of the game files and try to reproduce the issue on a new campaign. If the issue is persistent on a new campaign after these steps please let me know.
I've reinstalled the game multiple times by this point but never tried following the steps layed down on " How to remove modifications " Im gonna try doing that and installing the game at the current version if it doesn't work im going to try peforming the same actions and installing it at 1.7.0

Should report back in a few hours.

Edit: Also just a clarification, there's no problems creating new campaigns with or without the mods i use even when not uninstalling the mods and just disabling them on the launcher. I also have a save game from around the same time that is working just fine in the current version with the same mods.

Last edited:
Did all the steps provided in " How to remove modifications " and re-installed the game at 1.8.0 tried it first without mods and the savegame crashed then tried with mods and the same savegame crashed again, tried the other savegame i have with the same mods and it worked (It doesn't work without mods no surprises there).

Then once again peforming all the steps in " How to remove modifications " i installed the game selecting the 1.7.0 build and not only the game crashes at startup i can't send the Crash Report.

Unfortunatly i forgot to save the crash report from the 1.8.0 test so if necessary i can go back and try again.

If the line before your exception and stack trace in rgl_log for your 1.7.0 crash mentions a language_data.xml you'll want to double-check that you deleted them all. Steam will happily redownload them anytime you verify files or change version even if not going to 1.8.0.

If the line before your exception and stack trace in rgl_log for your 1.7.0 crash mentions a language_data.xml you'll want to double-check that you deleted them all. Steam will happily redownload them anytime you verify files or change version even if not going to 1.8.0.
Can't find a single instance of "language_data.xml" on my 1.7.0 install of the game don't think that's it. Another thing to mention is that everytime trying to do a clean install of Bannerlord 1.7.0 Steam gives an alert of "corrupted update files" that fixes itself after you ask steam to retry, i even verified the files after that and nothing came up and no "language_data.xml" files were found.

Here is a Community Crash Report i get when trying to open the savegame with mods version 1.8.0:

Last edited:
Sounds pretty hairy. ImprovedGarrisons in particular has changed a lot about how it handles save data over its many versions. If you're determined to rescue it, I would check the save header for the exact versions of Bannerlord and mods being used at the time, and rebuild that. Make sure to also follow appropriate cleaning steps such as backing up and removing saves and configurations made in newer versions. If the game won't launch in the old setup, seeing the rgl_log for that would be helpful.

Sounds pretty hairy. ImprovedGarrisons in particular has changed a lot about how it handles save data over its many versions. If you're determined to rescue it, I would check the save header for the exact versions of Bannerlord and mods being used at the time, and rebuild that. Make sure to also follow appropriate cleaning steps such as backing up and removing saves and configurations made in newer versions. If the game won't launch in the old setup, seeing the rgl_log for that would be helpful.
Yes right now that's what im trying to do but the game won't even launch when playing 1.7.0 version even after a clean install.

You should be able to find it in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\logs
If the folder is empty, next time it crashes choose not to upload a report, I vaguely recall the crash uploader might delete logs after uploading them.

You should be able to find it in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\logs
If the folder is empty, next time it crashes choose not to upload a report, I vaguely recall the crash uploader might delete logs after uploading them.
So i booted the game again to make sure i was getting the right logs and for some reason this time it decided to not crash at startup but it did crash when i selected the savegame i wanted to open. If i select my oder savegame that has the same mods and was updated to 1.8.0 it doesnt crash but i didn't try opening that save yet.

Starting a new campaign works just fine.

Trying to find a way to send you the crash logs

Last edited:
Huge update, after for whatever reason the 1.7.0 build of the game decided to stop crashing i managed to load one of my earliest backup saves from version 1.5.5 in the same playthrough that started all this. Somehow after doing that the game stopped crashing when trying to load my newest save on that playthrough (the save i've been trying to fix this whole time with your guys help) there are no mods active and i decided to "Save as" with a new name just as a backup.

Now im going to try and update to version 1.8.0 and see what happens.

Update: My save game now works (without mods) in the 1.8.0 build of the game and now im going to try it with the mods. I would consider this issue resolved as if it crashes again with the mods it's not really the developers fault.

There's still an issue when downloading Bannerlord on steam were it always alerts for corrupted files but fixes itself when asking steam to retry installing the game.

Very strange, glad it's working though. Is there any change with Steam's error message if you clear the download cache? (Settings > Downloads > Clear Download Cache)

Back
Top Bottom