Cost of Maintaining troops

Users who are viewing this thread

eragoen

Knight at Arms
Please please please reduce this - at the moment I have a medium tiered army of 60 men - it costs me 250 dollar a week! I can't raid villages / fight / raid banks to keep up with that!

I think lots of people also think this is an issue - so please sort in the next release :smile:

eragoen said:
Please please please reduce this - at the moment I have a medium tiered army of 60 men - it costs me 250 dollar a week! I can't raid villages / fight / raid banks to keep up with that!

I think lots of people also think this is an issue - so please sort in the next release :smile:

Why cant you raid villages or fight with 60 men?

I dont think it's a problem, only natural for a landless nobody not to be able to maintain a large party.

I don't have any problems with it. I spend near $200 dollars a week maintaining and replenishing a mid-tiered 50-strong US infantry army. Constant raiding and ransoms keep my income high enough (around$700) to maintain my army.

Just stay on the offensive and sell your loot, and have a good amount of money and food before you even start building an army.

tommylaw said:
eragoen said:

Why cant you raid villages or fight with 60 men?

I dont think it's a problem, only natural for a landless nobody not to be able to maintain a large party.

Read "to keep up with that" I can raid etc but I can't make enough to keep up with that amount + I don't want to be negative with all the settlements (I want to take some).

THat's your choice, but still, unless you have own land, you can't really complain about being unable to maintain an army, it's only realistic.

I´ve been thinking (dont laugh, i did, really). The regular troops from USA and Mexico (and maybe Comanches and Apaches, but for other reasons) shouldnt cost anything or cost very little. Their wages comes from the goverment and since you are not supposed (you can now cos a feature from native was left on the code) to be able to recuit them unless you join them, i think it would be balanced.
On the other side, private armies should stay expensive to keep the lawman, outlaw and bandit groups as small as they should be (in my opinion none of these groups should have more than 40 men per party).

Yes, a lot of people have been complaining about this.  I think troop maintenance is something that should be reduced.

One of the advantages of releasing a beta is being able to balance things like this.

Articulo34 said:
I´ve been thinking (dont laugh, i did, really). The regular troops from USA and Mexico (and maybe Comanches and Apaches, but for other reasons) shouldnt cost anything or cost very little. Their wages comes from the goverment and since you are not supposed (you can now cos a feature from native was left on the code) to be able to recuit them unless you join them, i think it would be balanced.
On the other side, private armies should stay expensive to keep the lawman, outlaw and bandit groups as small as they should be (in my opinion none of these groups should have more than 40 men per party).

Regulars are good troops. Reducing/removing wages for them would remove any challenge and the necessity to keep on the offensive. I thinks it's fine as is, as long as you have the foresight to not recruit larger armies than you can support.

yellowmosquito said:
Yes, a lot of people have been complaining about this.  I think troop maintenance is something that should be reduced.

One of the advantages of releasing a beta is being able to balance things like this.

I second that. I have a constant debt of 300 dollars, and i tried to pay it back but it i can't get enough. Even though i play with relatively small amount of troops like 30 something.

I like the shortage of money, that makes the game challenging, but this is not the case with 1866, it is simply annoying.

Average Joe peasant said:
Regulars are good troops. Reducing/removing wages for them would remove any challenge and the necessity to keep on the offensive. I thinks it's fine as is, as long as you have the foresight to not recruit larger armies than you can support.
To balance it it could be harder to tier them up, meaning they need more experience than other nonregular units.
Right now playing with the USA or Mexico if you find yourself without a war to make you have to disband half your army (unless you want to break any kind of inmersion and play like a bandit), and its a ***** to get high tier troops just to get rid of them a month later.

In my opinion maintain prices rise way too quickly. 10 tier 1 units cost couple dollars per week but when they are at tier 2 and 3 the cost is around 30 dollars a week! Maintain prices should be relatively low till mid tier and then rice quickly for elite units.

It also doesn't help that basically the AI can wipe out all but the highest-level of troops. Basically, until you can get your troops up to the max tier, you're going to have pay them wages when they don't even do anything at all. Even then, with max-tier troops the AI units have unfair stat bonuses over your troops (Enemy Outlaw can snipe Player's Veteran Regulars from across the map with pistols, Player's Veteran Regulars can't hit anything past 10 meters or so even when using rifles), so you may still get wiped out then, and you'll also end up with a sizeable debt.

Banastre said:
It also doesn't help that basically the AI can wipe out all but the highest-level of troops. Basically, until you can get your troops up to the max tier, you're going to have pay them wages when they don't even do anything at all. Even then, with max-tier troops the AI units have unfair stat bonuses over your troops (Enemy Outlaw can snipe Player's Veteran Regulars from across the map with pistols, Player's Veteran Regulars can't hit anything past 10 meters or so even when using rifles), so you may still get wiped out then, and you'll also end up with a sizeable debt.

Heh here's my saving trick at the moment - I get the best of the best units and say get a 100 dollar debt - then take them into a siege where lots of them will die - ta da I lose my debt and keep 20-30 weaker men :smile:

It's fine if you don't hire more troops than you can pay for and don't blow all your money on a nice gun. It encourages much more fiscal responsibility, because you can't just load up a gigantic party to do all your work for you and only pay them 1% of what they earn for you.

Penis Colada said:
It's fine if you don't hire more troops than you can pay for and don't blow all your money on a nice gun. It encourages much more fiscal responsibility, because you can't just load up a gigantic party to do all your work for you and only pay them 1% of what they earn for you.
It cant be much balanced when you get outnumbered even by many gang factions. Just 5 minutes ago i had to fight two Cottonwood leaders up to +160 men with my tiny and very expensive (and not yet elite) 58 US Army men.

BTW The nice gun you can get it early and without pay. Usually after the 10th day you dont have to worry anymore about the quality of your equipment.

Average Joe peasant said:
Then flee!
Level up your trailblazing ability, have horses in your inventory, etc. You can pick your battles.
You cant always flee. I was waiting (camp mode) for Custer to move so i could follow and then those assholes came out of nowhere and i didnt have time to pause the game and flee.
My trailblazing is 10, so no problem there. But i dont want to be fleeing the whole time, and thats the way its gonna be since there is no way ill ever be capable of paying a 100 men army. Much less a 100 elite men army.

Look at Extended Gameplay III. On that mod you have low tier troops (low cost), mid tier (still low, but a little higher) troops, high tier (expensive, but affordable) troops and elite tier troops (more than 10 and you´ll be ruined in a month). You can chose between a large low-mid tier army or a small high-elite tier army. Or something in between.

Id like to be able to rise a 100 US Recruits army, be able to keep it and then decide if i can afford to upgrade some of them and how, maybe make 20 of them Regulars and get rid of 40 Recruits to compensate...

You can afford large armies in this mod, upgrading your trade skill helps alot with selling loot, and owning a few villages and a town prints money for you.

Back
Top Bottom