core 2 duo E8200 question

Users who are viewing this thread

Cataphract

Sergeant Knight
Morning

As my old mobo somehow broke, i bought a core2duo e8200 with a fsb of 1333, however the mobo only supports 1066fsb because i still use an older AGP card , can i safely run the cpu at 1066fsb? Also, is this regarded as a good processor, do you know

the memory is ddr 400 aswell, will this be an issue with the fsb?

Hmm, get a better mobo (if you bought a new-old one cause it sounds like you didn't really get a good board..or maybe I misunderstood?) and get ddr2 memory...it's sick dirt cheap at the moment. You can easily get great 2x2gig sticks of DDR2 memory for maybe $70 or so...a decent mobo shouldn't be too hard to find either, and I suppose you'll then need a PCI-e gfx card as well...throw in a 8800GT since they're dirt cheap as well and still perform excellent. To be honest, with $250 - $300 you should be able to get some really great parts for that E8200...throw in another $100 for some high quality passive cooling for the gfx and CPU if you are planning to overclock and also want a quiet computer - and if you have enough space. Thermalrights are amongst the kings at the moment for this.

*edit*

And yes, to answer the question (got bit carried away :razz:), you will probably be able to run it at 1066 but as far as I am concerned the only thing that will happen is that you won't use the full potential of the CPU...can't really say what will happen in regards to stability issues. That's why you should just get a decent mobo that has the necessary bus speed. You could always try and clock the board that you have and increase the bus speed, but from what I assume it's an old board(?) (can it even take a E8200 to begin with???)

To be honest now that I think of it, I am a bit confused :razz:
Are there even boards that has AGP slots + DDR slots + capable of taking on the latest Intel chips? Or am I just misunderstanding bigtime now?

I have a 512mb 1950xpro agp graphics card, and the asrock i bought is the only mobo around that has both AGP and pci-express, it also had both ddr and ddr2, as i lack the cash i had to do this.

So can i run the processor at 1066 fsb with ddr400 memory?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4CoreDual-SATA2%20R2.0&s=n

Too bad it only can have 2gigs of ram max, but i guess i buy a proper mobo when i upgrade my gfx later.

To be honest I'd return that board and get something that's more up-to date along with a gfx card. Can't really come up with any good suggestions though since I don't really know of too many good single PCI-e boards...think that standard is 2 these days. You might as well cause if you are gonna play any recent games you probably won't have too pretty results otherwise.

Thanks for your help, i just have to try manage with that processor and mobo, as gfx card is out of the question this month, and i need a PC asap :smile:

Still i guess it will perform better than my old 3800x2

Back
Top Bottom