Copyright

Users who are viewing this thread

Oliver Qvist

Regular
When you have created a mod and you release it, how it is copyrighted? Lets say I created a unique mod with unique features that I came up with and made myself, now I don't want anyone else to steal these ideas to make a similar mod like mine because I want to keep my mod unique. If everyone starts using my ideas I used for my mod, it will no longer will be unique.

Can mods be copyrighted? Or do I just release it and pray to god no one uses my ideas/concepts to make a better mod than mine?

Is this a purely hypothetical question or are you really going to forbid people using your ideas? If you're serious, I have to ask: What are modders doing all the work for?
There might be at least some who try to improve the overall game experience for themselves and the player and not to show everyone, how cool they are, making life for those who would like to come up with ideas even harder...
Just my humble opinion...

What IS copyrighted is the stuff you actually produced: graphics, meshes, music, sounds, code, and so on. That means that other people are not allowed to use your data. That doesn't mean that other people can't reproduce your stuff without using your actual data, unless you explicitely allow them to.

Good luck trying to keep features in a mod unique. The code is so straightforward that it's impossible to claim whether somebody's taken your idea or just coincidentally had the same one. It happens all the time that multiple modders will come up with features simultaneously.
There's also the fact that you're using a coding language, engine and assets from a game that's already copyrighted. Although there's some grey areas regarding rhe ownership of things created using other things.

What's more, the modding community here operates under a trust system. People who outright steal assets (textures, models, larger and more important scripts) without permission usually have their mods removed by moderators, but you're relying on the goodwill of your fellow modders not to take smaller bits of code, much less the ideas those scripts are based on. If somebody (or Somebody :razz:) takes your idea and builds a script on their own, or even modifies it, there's very little you can do.

@jacobhinds

Okay, sounds good.  :smile:
I guess as long as you're happy with your own mod and there's people who play and enjoy it, nothing else matters.

If they make money from it, It is the only serious illegal thing that comes to mind.

You could ask them to stop doing it and perhaps ask Mod DB or whomever hosting the download to consider the case, but at the end of the day really it is up to them being a reasonable person or not.

Always ask for permission, and always do consider sharing and helping out if you can.

Oliver Qvist said:
When you have created a mod and you release it, how it is copyrighted? Lets say I created a unique mod with unique features that I came up with and made myself, now I don't want anyone else to steal these ideas to make a similar mod like mine because I want to keep my mod unique. If everyone starts using my ideas I used for my mod, it will no longer will be unique.

Can mods be copyrighted? Or do I just release it and pray to god no one uses my ideas/concepts to make a better mod than mine?

Hmmm...it's just a game you know, not our job or our wife.  :mrgreen:

My mod is totaly on osp, because i think it's better to give a maximum of resources : better mods, more completes, and i'm happy if i can play at my realistic joustes in a new mod.

But it's just my opinion  :roll:

And i think we are not the stars (modders) , the imortant is the game > and the mods/ unofficials expansion, and a lot of osp for make better mods...

:?:

Maybe, that's a question of characters or cultures, i don't judge ! and i may be wrong...

I just wanted to say, it is better to have a mod with "tavern animations + combats enhancement" rather than a mod with "tavern animation" and a mod with "combat enhancement"...

I'd just like to make a point that people seem to be confusing actual mod code/assets with mod ideas (the question the OP asked.) The fact is that you simply cannot copyright an idea. Full stop, end of story. Copyright is to protect you from somebody taking your actual original work - scripts or other assets - and passing them off as their own. Anyone can freely make their own work based on your idea. (and can even profit from it, if other conditions allow.)

FantasyWarrior said:
Hmmm...it's just a game you know, not our job or our wife.  :mrgreen:

My mod is totaly on osp, because i think it's better to give a maximum of resources : better mods, more completes, and i'm happy if i can play at my realistic joustes in a new mod.

But it's just my opinion  :roll:

And i think we are not the stars (modders) , the imortant is the game > and the mods/ unofficials expansion, and a lot of osp for make better mods...

:?:

Maybe, that's a question of characters or cultures, i don't judge ! and i may be wrong...

I just wanted to say, it is better to have a mod with "tavern animations + combats enhancement" rather than a mod with "tavern animation" and a mod with "combat enhancement"...

What Fantasy and Jacob said, basically.
Modding is a hobby and modders, believe it or not do, it is -in most occasions- for passing their time creatively and make something that they and other people will enjoy. "Stealing", besides pretty accusatory and needless in a free resource depository, actually involves money. If you go and steal Warbands core code system(somehow) and exploit it economically, yes, that is stealing and a serious copyright issue. But if you(any you, not you personally) want my textures or models, then take them.

Hypothetically, I made a model to put it in my mod and give it to people. Wouldn't it be a bit silly if I said "NO! This is mine! Noone will use it but me!"? That sounds a bit childish and immature, t be honest.

This is a personal opinion and completely up to anyone to judje and form an opinion. But as Jacob said, modding community is built on trust and that's not helping it. If I don't share, I cannot expect anyone to share. :wink:

Oliver Qvist said:
What makes your mod unique is not ideas (every modder has more unique ideas than he can hope to implement in a lifetime), but the way they're combined together and implemented to provide a unique playing experience. Give two different modders the same set of ideas to implement, and you will get two very different mods.

Lav said:
What makes your mod unique is not ideas (every modder has more unique ideas than he can hope to implement in a lifetime), but the way they're combined together and implemented to provide a unique playing experience. Give two different modders the same set of ideas to implement, and you will get two very different mods.
Well said.

Back
Top Bottom