Coolest feature scrapped, what is the reasoning behind that?

Users who are viewing this thread

The AI argument is a non-starter. In a single player campaign there is no reason for the AI to manage town builds. There should just be number of templates and the AI gets one from a pool after spending time and money.

A lot of games have features that exist on the drawing board but can't be implemented. Bannerlord as it is takes up an absolutely TREMENDOUS amount of space on a hard drive, it's not surprising that some of its more ambitious features will get lost in the cutdown shuffle. It's the hard choices any managing director or producer has to make at times.
Yeah, space is an issue for me as well as im trying to play from SSD with limited space and 50 gb is quite large but not like tremendous as games kept getting larger and larger in last years that some of them are even larger than 100 gb anymore. Still i hope it won't be larger than 70 gb as otherwise i can't play it from SSD but perhaps they would make high resolution textures additional download or something due i have a 1050 so i will never ever use any resolution higher than 1080p..

The AI argument is a non-starter. In a single player campaign there is no reason for the AI to manage town builds. There should just be number of templates and the AI gets one from a pool after spending time and money.
Agreed.
a lot of games have similar features don't they? like paradox, especially EUIII.
Yeah, space is an issue for me as well as im trying to play from SSD with limited space and 50 gb is quite large but not like tremendous as games kept getting larger and larger in last years that some of them are even larger than 100 gb anymore. Still i hope it won't be larger than 70 gb as otherwise i can't play it from SSD but perhaps they would make high resolution textures additional download or something due i have a 1050 so i will never ever use any resolution higher than 1080p..
Code doesn't take much "space" and its weird you think so. What they'd want to cut for space is things like unique castles and town maps, which they've already said they're implementing.

Only scrapped feature is co-op mode which was the most exciting feature about Bannerlord for many people including me but Devs stated months ago it won't be a part of EA nor full release!! If they were promising features they can't really implement why exactly they scrapped one of the most exciting features months ago then, huh??? So if those features couldn't be implemented they would have announced that long ago but they didn't perhaps because after fixing dozens of bugs and optimizing game engine for weeks adding some building options to a village is pretty simple...

Only scrapped feature is co-op mode which was the most exciting feature about Bannerlord for many people including me but Devs stated months ago it won't be a part of EA nor full release!! If they were promising features they can't really implement why exactly they scrapped one of the most exciting features months ago then, huh??? So if those features couldn't be implemented they would have announced that long ago but they didn't perhaps because after fixing dozens of bugs and optimizing game engine for weeks adding some building options to a village is pretty simple...
What on earth are you talking about? Co-op has never been promised, in fact they have clearly stated that this would be an extremely unrealistic undertaking and that they have no plans whatsoever anywhere in the near future to even attempt to implement such a feature.

What on earth are you talking about? Co-op has never been promised, in fact they have clearly stated that this would be an extremely unrealistic undertaking and that they have no plans whatsoever anywhere in the near future to even attempt to implement such a feature.
In early development they stated perhaps they could implement it to the full release then they scrapped it shortly after, in fact they also added perhaps they could add co-op mode after the full release!! And i never stated they promised such a feature would be in full release rather used it as an example to show if something is too much for them they are just saying it rather than giving false promises like some people wrongly claim here..

In early development they stated perhaps they could implement it to the full release then they scrapped it shortly after, in fact they also added perhaps they could add co-op mode after the full release!! And i never stated they promised such a feature would be in full release rather used it as an example to show if something is too much for them they are just saying it rather than giving false promises like some people wrongly claim here..
I ran the article through google translate. The article to begin with looks shady, with no references or video to back up the content. It's also 2 years old, and from every single other interview or Q&A there's been where this question has been asked, they have flat out denied they're working on such a feature and also explained why. So I don't see why you ever got your hopes up for such a feature, it was very clearly not coming.

@Crotiz
If TW are developing their mod API well and with flexibility, the idea will be jumped on by a modder in no time. Heck, I'm tempted to look into BL modding possibilities, just to see if this is possible. But it all depends on how good the BL mod-API is.

To be honest, co-op shouldn't be so hard if it were only in battles, and I'd be inmensely happy with that. Like one player plays and the other joins as either a companion or a regular troop. That would be nice.

Regarding castle building and such, it is indeed a shame. The current mechanics are an improvement over warband, but it is true it lacks something that makes it more attractive. Specially in villages, where you can do absolutely nothing.

To be honest, co-op shouldn't be so hard if it were only in battles, and I'd be inmensely happy with that. Like one player plays and the other joins as either a companion or a regular troop. That would be nice.

Regarding castle building and such, it is indeed a shame. The current mechanics are an improvement over warband, but it is true it lacks something that makes it more attractive. Specially in villages, where you can do absolutely nothing.

It would be very tough to implement any type of Co-op in this game.

I ran the article through google translate. The article to begin with looks shady, with no references or video to back up the content. It's also 2 years old, and from every single other interview or Q&A there's been where this question has been asked, they have flat out denied they're working on such a feature and also explained why. So I don't see why you ever got your hopes up for such a feature, it was very clearly not coming.
You are failing to read mate as i wonder where exactly i stated that i got my hopes up for such a feature? And i already said it was early development and you are saying that article is too old?? You don't say!! Also it isn't shady at all, here is another one which says exactly same thing:

Im pretty sure Taleworlds talked about co-op mode in an interview not in a dev blog so im not going to waste my time trying to find the exact interview as there are dozens of them and my actual point has nothing to do with that interview nor later ones as my point is if Taleworlds was really promising features they can never implement to the game like some people claim here then they wouldn't drop co-op mode feature no matter what and keep lying about it to get people's hope up and increase the game's popularity etc but as everybody can see they aren't giving false promises which is why they scrapped co-op mode pretty quickly and keep saying it won't happen in near future in every single Q&A as you pointed out...

CASTLE BUILDING: Resonant actually talks about castle building to villages in this video and apparently it was also scrapped in a dev blog almost two years ago!! (Such a coincidence, LMAO..) Perhaps they would add it back later but it hasn't been an official feature for a long time..

Last edited:
It would be very tough to implement any type of Co-op in this game.
Do you think? You've probably given it more thought, but @Azhael said "battle only" co-op and the game already has core battle "co-op" mechanics to tap into in the form of the multi-player battle system.. There would only need to be a very limited features added to enable some kind of peer-to-peer 2-player campaign map co-op feature. For example:

- Dial in your friend's IP address
- he accepts your campaign-map Co-op session request.
- You and your army spawn into one of your friend's castle's.

...from there you can use already existing features of the game to "accompany" him into battles. If the host initiates a campaign-map battle while his friend's army is "accompanying" him, the battle proceeds as a basic online MP battle against the AI. The mechanics seem to be there, pretty much, already.

@Crotiz
If TW are developing their mod API well and with flexibility, the idea will be jumped on by a modder in no time. Heck, I'm tempted to look into BL modding possibilities, just to see if this is possible. But it all depends on how good the BL mod-API is.

Buys game to give money to developers so modders can fix it for free.

We are talking about the potential to add features which TW have told us they will not be including, not fixing things.

I'm going along with the general attitude that the feature(s) would be great and people agree it would be great, but is not being included. Therefore modders need to include it. In my mind, that's fixing a shortcoming. You can add all the fluff behind it and call it adding if you'd like.

I'm going along with the general attitude that the feature(s) would be great and people agree it would be great, but is not being included. Therefore modders need to include it. In my mind, that's fixing a shortcoming. You can add all the fluff behind it and call it adding if you'd like.
Ok, that's fair enough and I agree to a certain extent. But every game has its scope, and not everything we want will be within BL's scope of development. Sometimes you just have to make the best of a situation, and with some decent modders and a good engine, that can be done.

- Dial in your friend's IP address
- he accepts your campaign-map Co-op session request.
- You and your army spawn into one of your friend's castle's.

It isn't this easy mate as everything happening on the map must be calculated by host's CPU and sent to guest which will cause at least some lag (Assuming possible bugs and crashes got fixed) but it isn't over yet as when host is in a battle and guest is still playing in campaign then host's CPU must both handle host's battle and calculate map simultaneously that expect high end CPUs everything would fail i guess. Peer to peer co-op is much easier for turn based games like total wars so perhaps they can make co-op mode turn based somehow so guest has to wait while host is in a battle but it would butcher game's fun quite a bit..

Back
Top Bottom