Comprehensive VC guide!

Users who are viewing this thread

Celticfury3

Regular
So Ive decided I want to at least attempt to put together a comprehensive video guide to help people with VC as it is probably one of the richest in game-play experience in the series.

So... If there is anything you want covered just drop it dwn below or PM me and Ill throw it in :smile: Hoping I can make it well enough to nubs out! Sláinte!

I guess it would help to add a few tips for easy recruitment in the early game (while restricted recruitement is activated that is) : going to farmstead, monasteries, pagan hofs etc... Casual warband players are often struggling with this sytem at first.

Probably a short tutorial on complex formations (shieldwall, ranks etc...) and their impact during the battle ? Took me a while to understand how important shieldwalls were once used correctly.

But most of all plz tell them how important it is to get -20 reputation during early/mid-game.

Utfred said:
Probably a short tutorial on complex formations (shieldwall, ranks etc...) and their impact during the battle ? Took me a while to understand how important shieldwalls were once used correctly.

Yes, and especially a primer on why troops blocks are not oving to the exact place you point (due to save formation positions), I think a lot of people would benefit from that.

A section on  proposing alliances, and how you have to use the mesenger system instead of the companion-envoy system, and need to be at war with a common enemy.

Traits, how they're gained and what they do, lotta people seem to need help with that.

Really you could look through the quick questions thread and see what comes up frequently.

Faol said:
Sláinte agus táinte.  :grin:

An bhfuil Gaeilge agat? Cé as thú?

Utfred said:
I guess it would help to add a few tips for easy recruitment in the early game (while restricted recruitement is activated that is) : going to farmstead, monasteries, pagan hofs etc... Casual warband players are often struggling with this sytem at first.

But most of all plz tell them how important it is to get -20 reputation during early/mid-game.

Agreed, thanks for throwing that in there because I might have forgotten to. I'll tell them about the rep too, if they wanna play scumbag/viking style

kraggrim said:
Utfred said:

Yes, and especially a primer on why troops blocks are not oving to the exact place you point (due to save formation positions), I think a lot of people would benefit from that.

A section on  proposing alliances, and how you have to use the mesenger system instead of the companion-envoy system, and need to be at war with a common enemy.

Traits, how they're gained and what they do, lotta people seem to need help with that.

Really you could look through the quick questions thread and see what comes up frequently.

Could you elaborate on the blocks, and as to why the troops do not go exactly where one places them? I absolutely know what you are talking about but I don't know why that is or why the save formation is causing/affecting this. PM me or add me on steam if the explanation is a bit lengthy. steam :Celticfury3

Also ya'll think I should wait until patch 2.025 or start now and see what 2.025 brings. I ask because there are some pretty big changes on the trading economics from 2.023 to 2.025. Thanks for the suggestions m8's.  :wink:

Basically it starts off with the various divisions (spearmen, cavalry etc) spread out a bit so they're not all in one bunch, done by distance/position from player. When you tell everyone to go to one position it remembers this and treats the point you send them as the player, and sends them in the same overall positioning.  Same with "follow me", they'll go along in that configuration.

Even if your entire army only consists of one division (say infantry), if you're using the "everyone" command then it still follows this, which is where people get confused and angry I think.

You can resave them in a different configuration through one of the f1-4 menus, by positioning each division individually where you want them (relative to the player) then using the appropriate option.

That's how I remember it anyway. It should be explained under game concepts somewhere too.

kraggrim said:
Basically it starts off with the various divisions (spearmen, cavalry etc) spread out a bit so they're not all in one bunch, done by distance/position from player. When you tell everyone to go to one position it remembers this and treats the point you send them as the player, and sends them in the same overall positioning.  Same with "follow me", they'll go along in that configuration.

Even if your entire army only consists of one division (say infantry), if you're using the "everyone" command then it still follows this, which is where people get confused and angry I think.

You can resave them in a different configuration through one of the f1-4 menus, by positioning each division individually where you want them (relative to the player) then using the appropriate option.

That's how I remember it anyway. It should be explained under game concepts somewhere too.
Ah now that makes more sense haha. Do you know about why when following troops go to your left? Is this a customizable or a hard coded feature? Also since you probably know more than me about the guard unit, or whatever it is called, does that work in any unique way with formations and orders?

Not sure what you mean about troops going to the left. I think when following the overall configuration is set with its direction relative to the player, not the enemy, so if you're not facing directly towards the enemy it can be a bit weird. That might be it

Dunno about the guard unit, never actually used it.

kraggrim said:
Not sure what you mean about troops going to the left. I think when following the overall configuration is set with its direction relative to the player, not the enemy, so if you're not facing directly towards the enemy it can be a bit weird. That might be it

Dunno about the guard unit, never actually used it.

What? I am nearly positive when you set the line to follow you they get in line/formation etc., and form directly on your left shoulder? Ive noticed the AI lords do this as well, they travel on the far right position of their infantry formation. Im going to do some testing and read up on other threads as well as your info some more before I make the guide so as to not confuse anyone with misinformation.

kraggrim said:
Good idea :smile:. i don't use follow that much so could very well be remembering wrong.
Same here, but I find it useful when my troops are otherwise and Im about to meet the ugly side of some bastards axe, follow orders get them to me so that they absorb blows lmao

Back
Top Bottom