Companions winning tournaments

Users who are viewing this thread

TLDR = I suggest a system that allow us send off our companions to win tournaments for us and bring us the reward.

Most of the time, in my playthrough, i end up only keeping 1 companion in my party = a healer. In my present playthrough, the more and more we participate in tournaments together, whenever i lose, 1 out of 2 tournaments my companion wins it. I feel pride whenever that happens, just like i'm happy when we are teamates in said tournament and just like i hate having to eliminate them myself. Having companions win tournament brings nothing to the table but pride for them.

There is, IMO, 3 types of companions.
-Those with good mobility and scouting skills that you send off in caravans.
-Those with utility skills that you want to keep in your party (blacksmith, engineering, healing, etc.)
-Those with fighting skills.

The latter feels right now useless to me.

Suggestion - Sending off companions to win tournaments for us

1- Have some sort of traveler in the town taverns that can inform us of upcoming tournaments
2- Allow us to send off companions to the rumored town from point 1
3- Fighter companions have a higher chance of winning based on weapon skills and athletism. They also level up said skills while participating.
4- If your companion wins, he gathers the reward and bring it back to you.

This system would fix another issue i have with the game : having to separate from my companions and never having them in my party anymore. With this system, the companion come and go from your party, which allows you to fight by their sides when they are not off to win tournaments.

Why should you get a reward that your companion deserved by winning the tournament? That seems plain unfair.
I agree. But I also agree with OP that companions should get something for winning tournaments. And I personally think that this something should be that they actually get and use the reward of the tournament themselves. That'd also be a good way to get equipment for them.

I agree. But I also agree with OP that companions should get something for winning tournaments. And I personally think that this something should be that they actually get and use the reward of the tournament themselves. That'd also be a good way to get equipment for them.

Why would you do that instead of sending them off in caravans ?

Does you clan get renown or any numbers when they win tourneys? I see them win all the time but I'm not sure if it does anything. It should at least give something.
For now I would say who cares about prizes, but if TW keeps messing with loot and party wages, it may be more important in the future. ATM roaming clan parties are kinda unstable as far as profits but it's still okay. If they further reduce loot money then peace time finances will become a problem.

I'm pretty sure that your companions already bounce around to various tournaments, so that part is taken care of.

Because combat companions make terrible caravan leaders, as a general rule.
Any companion is Worth 10x more as a caravan rater than being just like any other soldier in your army

Any companion is Worth 10x more as a caravan rater than being just like any other soldier in your army
Eh, you only need 4-5 before you are swimming in money. You can get up to 9 so there is room to have scout/surgeon/engineer in your party or use them as governors. Having a gladiator companion that went around and did tournaments and send you back money when they win would be awesome. Right now they can win, but I dont think your clan is rewarded.

Eh, you only need 4-5 before you are swimming in money. You can get up to 9 so there is room to have scout/surgeon/engineer in your party or use them as governors. Having a gladiator companion that went around and did tournaments and send you back money when they win would be awesome. Right now they can win, but I dont think your clan is rewarded.

I agree that once you get to 5 caravans you are all set, but still, why not have a 6th one instead of an extra "empire legionary" that either heals you slightly faster, engineers slightly faster or can use blacksmith, which is a skill i wouldnt even touch even if TW paid me to do so because it completely breaks the game economy.

Sending gladiators would be like sending caravans, except they come back to you. Therefore you could send your engineer to a tournament, but once its time to siege a castle, you dont, you keep him. I think it would add an interesting dynamic on par with "sending all the companions in caravans and only interacting with them to send them back after they got released from captivity". It would also bring a feeling of attachment to these gladiators and companions that i feel is lacking REAL good compared to Warband.

Well, the item reward would be gameplay wise a little strange, because you as the leader have the authority about the distribution of items. If they had personal equipment, the issue would be different.

However, you should get at least renown, because they are part of the clan.

[...] Having a gladiator companion that went around and did tournaments and send you back money when they win would be awesome.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom