Comments: 3.0 Released

Users who are viewing this thread

TeHo said:
I get alot of error messages too :sad:
One is something like "ERROR NO SCRIPT UNIT LORD_GET_HOME_"...
Yes, it happens.
3su7.png

nfah.png
a-a-nd
yr6y.jpg

Ok that's good I actually like that their all identical, that means I won't be drawn towards one clan's troop and stick with them the entire game. But now I have another question: Which are better, ashigaru (village recruits) or samurai (town & castle recruits)? Because it seems like the samurai are waaaaay better (they seem more well-armored, generally skilled and tougher) than the normal ashigaru troops.

Mangowarrior said:
Ok that's good I actually like that their all identical, that means I won't be drawn towards one clan's troop and stick with them the entire game. But now I have another question: Which are better, ashigaru (village recruits) or samurai (town & castle recruits)? Because it seems like the samurai are waaaaay better (they seem more well-armored, generally skilled and tougher) than the normal ashigaru troops.

Well, Ashigaru would be the Peasent troops, and the Samurai would be the Noble troops.. what's the difference? Peasents are recruits from villages, they are basicly Farmers with a darn pike. Samurai are warriors that train since the very day they are born in the arts of war and all.

So Samurai are the best choise if you wanna win.. be warned tho, they are expensive and their Wages are higher than a regular Ashigaru.

But I prefer balance, I suggest at least 20 Ashigaru Gunners ( Veteran Gunners ), 30 Elite Spearmen and 20 Hatamoto Guards (Or officers, depends on the clan you are from). Cavalry is optional.. if you are gonna get them.. well.. 10-15 of them will suffice.

CrazyFoxhound said:
Mangowarrior said:

Well, Ashigaru would be the Peasent troops, and the Samurai would be the Noble troops.. what's the difference? Peasents are recruits from villages, they are basicly Farmers with a darn pike. Samurai are warriors that train since the very day they are born in the arts of war and all.

So Samurai are the best choise if you wanna win.. be warned tho, they are expensive and their Wages are higher than a regular Ashigaru.

But I prefer balance, I suggest at least 20 Ashigaru Gunners ( Veteran Gunners ), 30 Elite Spearmen and 20 Hatamoto Guards (Or officers, depends on the clan you are from). Cavalry is optional.. if you are gonna get them.. well.. 10-15 of them will suffice.

I don't mind them being expensive, I'm a very wealthy lord (praise the tournaments!), so wouldn't samurai gunners be a lot better in terms of skill, kill count and life-span than the ashigaru veteran gunners? I do understand that balance is good (I keep balanced armies in garrisons) but I want a personal elite army of Japan's finest warriors & marksmen as a slaughter party to do some damage whenever I'm at war. [In my opinion the only way I have found the ashigaru gunners to be effective (they are outstanding against anyone with poor armor such as looters, northern raiders, and bandits but against other clan lords they aren't really effective unless they're at point blank range) is when it's close quarter combat which is very risky since the gunmen become absolutely useless when engaged in melee and only become useful again once they get a good distance from the fight.]

So I'm really big on accuracy and have decided to make a list (this list is for anyone who cares) of all the proper clans pronunciations (these are the ones I know for sure).
(An even better list was posted by jacobhinds on page 115, go there for the pronunciations, I now declare this comment to be obsolete, but I will leave it here as a testament to my effort)

Uesugi Clan - "Oo eh su gee" Clan
(correct pronunciation of "Uesugi" given by jacobhinds - Japanese language student)

Date Clan - "Dah teh" Clan

Tokugawa Clan - "Toe ku gah wah" Clan

Mori Clan - "More ee" Clan

Chosokabe Clan - "Cho so kah beh" Clan

Oda Clan - "Oh da" Clan

Takeda Clan - "Tah kay dah"

Hojo Clan - "Ho Jo" Clan

Shimazu Clan - "She mah zoo" Clan

Ryuzoji Clan =
jacobhinds said:
"Ree-yu-zoh-ji"
Clan

jacobhinds said:
(it's hard to specify which "o" i'm using in english, but the "o" sound in ryuzoji sounds like the o in "pot" or "box". the letter "i" is always pronounced "ee")
(correct pronunciation of "Ryuzoji" given by jacobhinds - Japanese language student)

(These clans are not in the Gekokujo module for warband, but there are in TW: Shogun 2 and if you ever wondered what the correct pronunciation was here it is)

Imagawa Clan - "E mah gah wah" Clan

Hattori Clan - "Hah tor E" Clan

Again these are the clans that I know are most likely being pronounced correctly, but sadly this is list does not include all the clans in Gekokujo and yes these pronunciations are probably the most basic things you could ever comprehend as a human being but this list was for all those who are really big on accuracy and want to be correct with the pronunciations. The Uesugi pronunciation is completely weird, I would never have guessed that it was suppose to be pronounced the way it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eRsdXBmaig&list=FLwieSLEElJxetAnD96_nTiA&index=3 This is where I learned and confirmed the proper pronunciations of all the clans in the list and it also includes Japanese historical figures (really cool video to check out).

Mangowarrior said:
Uesugi Clan - "Rue eh sue G" Clan

just to calm the japanese language student in me, this is closer to "Oo-Eh-Su-Gee" with a hard G as in Gekokujo. in the video it kind of sounds like an R at the beginning, but I think that's just bad sound quality because japanese romanization is completely phonetic, with a couple of exceptions like は and へ.
if you want to be able to pronounce virtually any romanized japanese word, you might want to look up japanese pronunciation. it's really simple and you'll no longer be staring at words like a baka gaijin. once you know the vowels, they're pronounced letter-for-letter and how they look, far more so than english where pronunciation is completely random.

e.g. Ryuzoji = Ree-yu-zoh-ji

(it's hard to specify which "o" i'm using in english, but the "o" sound in ryuzoji sounds like the o in "pot" or "box". the letter "i" is always pronounced "ee")

I'm sorry but your interpretation of a phonetic alphabet is awful, e.g. in Shimazu you said that the last syllable was 'tzu'. I have no idea how to pronounce that, it's alien looking in terms of phonetics,.

11sparky11 said:
I'm sorry but your interpretation of a phonetic alphabet is awful, e.g. in Shimazu you said that the last syllable was 'tzu'. I have no idea how to pronounce that, it's alien looking in terms of phonetics,.

Sorry, from the video I tried my best to convert the sounds I heard into understandable words, it didn't help that their was music playing in the background which made it even harder to hear. I guess tzu is pronounced a little strangely (so I'll edit it), I say it like tsu. A long T (I hiss a little bit), a quick S (very quick, it's almost like I skip it entirely but I don't or it would sound like two, the s also sounds like a hiss), and finish with oo (sorta sounds like "oo cake! I want some", again quick oo). When I say the clan names I like to say them really fast so the word just blends together (like the campaign guy from TW: Shogun 2 does).

jacobhinds said:
Mangowarrior said:
Uesugi Clan - "Rue eh sue G" Clan

just to calm the japanese language student in me, this is closer to "Oo-Eh-Su-Gee" with a hard G as in Gekokujo. in the video it kind of sounds like an R at the beginning, but I think that's just bad sound quality because japanese romanization is completely phonetic, with a couple of exceptions like は and へ.
if you want to be able to pronounce virtually any romanized japanese word, you might want to look up japanese pronunciation. it's really simple and you'll no longer be staring at words like a baka gaijin. once you know the vowels, they're pronounced letter-for-letter and how they look, far more so than english where pronunciation is completely random.

e.g. Ryuzoji = Ree-yu-zoh-ji

Yea I'm not a Japanese language student so I trust that your information is a lot more accurate than mine and I will edit my post accordingly, thank you for the correction.

11sparky11 said:
Perhaps pronounced zoo? Because most of us have likely heard of Sun Tzu's Art of War and I pronounce it that way.

Ok so I just watched the intro to the Shimazu clan campaign in TW: Shogun 2 and I am pretty sure the way the man said was "Shimazu (She mah zoo) lands have always provided for their people". So Hazzardevil nailed it, thank you btw. I will further edit my post in light of this confirmation.

So I just noticed something strange, the faction name is Ryuzoji but the ruler is Great Lord Ryuozoji, was this intentional?

r2lIW2i.jpg

english speakers always pronounce japanese words wrong on first glance, mainly because they miss out a lot of letters by default. also japanese has a lot of syllables that look weird in english, like Tsu and Ryu.
an important thing to remember is that there are no emphases, so takeda is not "ta-KEE-da" or "TA-kee-da", but is run together in one go.
also don't get your pronunciations from the announcers in shogun 2, they almost always overpronounce everything so you can hear what they're saying. for example "sun tzu/sun tsu" probably sounds like "sunsu" to a filthy nanban like myself, and something like "watashi-tachi" sounds like "tash-tach"

from my experience this is the closest i can get the pronunciations:

Uesugi
oo-eh-soo-gee (try not to emphasise the "soo" too much, the vowel is almost silent)

Date
dah-teh

Oda
oh-da (for all these words, "oh", it is pronounced like the o in "port", or "door", without the "r" sound)

Mori
moh-ree/moh-lee (R in japanese is a mixture between L and R)

Takeda
ta-keh-da ("keh" as in "kept")

Tokugawa
Toh-koo-gah-wah

Miyoshi
mee-yoh-shi ("shi" is always pronounced "shee")

Amako
ah-mah-koh

Otomo
oh-toh-moh

Nanbu
nan-boo

Asakura
ah-sah-koo-rah

Chosokabe
choh-soh-kah-beh

Hojo
hoh-joh (don't forget that the "oh" is short, and pronounced like "door". )

Mogami
moh-gah-mee

Shimazu
shi-mah-zuu (the "u" at the end is sort of silent. it sounds sort of like "sh'mazz")

Ryuzoji
reeyu-zoh-jee (i put "reeyu" as one syllable here because in japanese it's counted as one "mora". I could go on but to put it simply, you say it quickly)

Satake
sah-tah-keh

Satomi
sah-toh-mee

Urakami
oo-rah-kah-mee

and, for good measure:

Shōgun
shoohh-gun (the "shooh" is home to one of these bastards, (ō) a long vowel. some people write "shogun" as "shougun" which is slightly better because it avoids confusion; most people ignore diacritic markers. but i'm rambling, to pronounce it, say the word "door" and hold that o for twice as long. that's the ō.)

Teppō
teh--pohh (this is incredibly weird to read, but when you get two consonants, a silent syllable is added before. so you say "teh-[rest]-pō". don't forget the equally weird ō on the end)

Quick question: I'm curious as to why you chose mon to be the Japanese currency for Gekokujo. Was mon the true historical currency during the sengoku jiadi period?

Mangowarrior said:
Quick question: I'm curious as to why you chose mon to be the Japanese currency for Gekokujo. Was mon the true historical currency during the sengoku jiadi period?

yep
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_mon_(currency)

if you're thinking of koku a la shogun 2, that refers to a measure of rice harvest rather than actual money. for example they say that the income of some domain might be 100,000 koku. anyway i'm not even sure if they used koku before the edo era.

Heh funny thing is while I wrote that comment I Wikipedia-ed Japanese currency (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_currency) but didn't see mon on the list, so I assumed that mon wasn't a historical currency :razz:. woobs. Well then that makes total sense, and that's the end of that. Another thing I'm curious about, is it possible to customize the equipment your men use? When you select troops you can click the "talk" button and then ask to see their equipment it pulls up everything in their inventory. Lets say I don't like the fact that their Date Retainer Armor only has an armor value of 35 for body, could I put in Kozane armor (and maybe a suji mempo kabuto to make them look like Japanese demon warriors  :grin:) in their inventory and take out the Retainer armor and go into battle seeing them wear the Kozane armor?

Another Question: Do the guns/firearms count as bows or crossbows? If they do count as bows then do they benefit from the "power draw" skill? It seems like the firearms fire crossbow bolts but I may be wrong about this, I would appreciate it if an expert could enlighten me with the truth.

Mangowarrior said:
Another Question: Do the guns/firearms count as bows or crossbows? If they do count as bows then do they benefit from the "power draw" skill? It seems like the firearms fire crossbow bolts but I may be wrong about this, I would appreciate it if an expert could enlighten me with the truth.
in this the guns work the same as crossbows so they dont have a powerup like power draw the power comes squarely from the gun things like firearm skill increases your accuracy with the gun

Back
Top Bottom