Combat Delay

Users who are viewing this thread

We know. It's clunky. It's uncontrollable and undependable. It's seems like it's going to stay this way and was designed this way.
People have been saying this since MP beta but I think we just let it go. I would like a option to disable chain attacks. For me personally that would help a lot.

I disagree. Am I the only one who finds the combat mostly good? But I know what you mean though. Sometimes the physics feels strange maybe due to wonky physics simulation? Just a guess.

With it being clunky and uncontrollable and undependable that is not true for single player. I have proof below with a video.
I have played some multiplayer and still feel like I'm in control. However, when I dueled some high-level players there is some strange physics at times. I have not dueled enough yet to make up my mind due to a lack of population in duel servers.

Sometimes in multiplayer especially it feels like the character is underwater... but this doesn't happen often in SP so assuming it is some performance issues in MP maps.

Last edited:
I disagree. Am I the only one who finds the combat mostly good? But I know what you mean though. Sometimes the physics feels strange maybe due to wonky physics simulation? Just a guess.

With it being clunky and uncontrollable and undependable that is not true for single player. I have proof below with a video.
I have played some multiplayer and still feel like I'm in control. However, when I dueled some high-level players there is some strange physics at times. I have not dueled enough yet to make up my mind due to a lack of population in duel servers.

Sometimes in multiplayer especially it feels like the character is underwater... but this doesn't happen often in SP so assuming it is some performance issues in MP maps.

The fighting in your video looks very stable and responsive. I don't play singleplayer at the moment, so I can't really say anything about that. On multiplayer it is definitely a thing though.

@WhiteEyedSh4rk
There is an intentional additional block delay when you feint in one direction, and then quickly try to block in the opposite direction, that's the instance when you feel the unresponsivness of the blocking to its fullest.
The community got pretty enraged about this issue, and it the block delay has been a very controversial subject, during Beta and upon EA release alike, even more then delay on release of attacks, that has no place in a game like this as well.

Last edited:
@WhiteEyedSh4rk
There is an intentional additional block delay when you feint in one direction, and then quickly try to block in the opposite direction, that's the instance when you feel the unresponsivness of the blocking to its fullest.
The community got pretty enraged about this issue, and it the block delay has been a very controversial subject, during Beta and upon EA release alike, even more then delay on release of attacks, that has no place in a game like this as well.

I try to clearly differentiate between the intentional delay when blocking or hitting and this strange lack of input recognition. People often treat it as the same thing and I feel like the devs are just seeing it as criticism on their "intended" combat system, which some of it is, but I am specifically criticising the lack of input recognition, that often (but not allways!) happens, which I do believe is definitely not intended by them. The combat was actually better at one point, but something just made it more unresponsive.

Last edited:
75fps stable on 75hz freesync monitor, i7 7700k + vega64 + 16GB ram, on SSD, usually arround 40-50 ping.

Although in the earlier builds, i sometimes had to wait up to 10 seconds from when i join the server, to load the textures, otherwise people are transparent and ground is half black.

75fps stable on 75hz freesync monitor, i7 7700k + vega64 + 16GB ram, on SSD, usually arround 40-50 ping.

Thanks.

So I think we can exclude the possibility of it beeing cpu, ram or ping, because mine are pretty much equivalent to yours. I suspect, that it might have something to do with fps and/or the monitor. My fps was on stable 60 at one point, but throughout the patches the fps got very unstable. Now its allways jumping up and down between 40 and 60. I thought it doesen't matter, because even 40 fps seems planty enough for me, but who knows. I also have a very old screen, that might also be (or be part of) the problem.

Although in the earlier builds, i sometimes had to wait up to 10 seconds from when i join the server, to load the textures, otherwise people are transparent and ground is half black.

Strangely enough, this wasn't the case in my game earlier, but now it is. I think it appeared around the time of ea release, maybe a few patches later. Do you remember when it changed in your game?

And @GitiUsir, do you have an old screen and/or unstable fps too?

Im not sure about the texture loading thingy, it was happening to me in the late Beta, early-mid march.
I was messing with a lot of files, trying out SP armors (which we haven't seen before that) and such, maybe i left something behind.
Perhaps with the last beta patch it went away, or with verifying files in steam.

Always make sure to do a CLEAN install of the drivers, meaning go into safe mode, deinstall the drivers, restart, turn off internet and anticirus, install the latest drivers, then restart, turn your internet and so on. I found those particular steps on the internet, and since i've been doing so, it's never been causing me issues like it was proven it did before.

It has given me similar headaches.

EDIT: What is your usual ping/do you check if it has spikes when that happens, and what are your dl/ul internet speeds?

Last edited:
Im not sure about the texture loading thingy, it was happening to me in the late Beta, early-mid march.
I was messing with a lot of files, trying out SP armors (which we haven't seen before that) and such, maybe i left something behind.
Perhaps with the last beta patch it went away, or with verifying files in steam.

Always make sure to do a CLEAN install of the drivers, meaning go into safe mode, deinstall the drivers, restart, turn off internet and anticirus, install the latest drivers, then restart, turn your internet and so on. I found those particular steps on the internet, and since i've been doing so, it's never been causing me issues like it was proven it did before.

It has given me similar headaches.

EDIT: What is your usual ping/do you check if it has spikes when that happens, and what are your dl/ul internet speeds?

Hm I didn't really mess with any files, keep my drivers up to date and verified the game files many times already, I'd try the "clean installation" but to be honest, I don't know how to go into safe mode and manually deinstall the drivers :smile:

My ping is around 24-28. It doesen't rise when I experience these issues. The online internet speed tests all say something different, but my download is never unter 50mbps and my upload is about 10mbps.

Same here. Not getting a black ground but textures load a lot slower as in previous versions, sometimes they don't load at all (enemy becomes suddenly naked, losing his hair or disapears competely for a brief secs (manily occurs when someone dies)). This results in quite some fps loss. Never had such issues in the beta

Same here. Not getting a black ground but textures load a lot slower as in previous versions, sometimes they don't load at all (enemy becomes suddenly naked, losing his hair or disapears competely for a brief secs (manily occurs when someone dies)). This results in quite some fps loss. Never had such issues in the beta

I only experience this at the start of games, for quite some seconds, but thats a different topic.

And @GitiUsir, do you have an old screen and/or unstable fps too?
My rig is bad. On paper shouldn't be bad, I bought it some years ago i5, medium graphics card, no SSD, 16Gb. The guy who assembled it must have hated me and it never worked top notch. In MP I had FPS drops constantly.

I said it may happen in single player as a possiblity, really I only experienced it in MP, so my first thought was that it was ping related. You know if a guy with bad ping enters a server it may delay all updates, that was my guess.

But yes, my FPS were bad and my monitor is medium quality, 60FPS default. My ping was ok.

My rig is bad. On paper shouldn't be bad, I bought it some years ago i5, medium graphics card, no SSD, 16Gb. The guy who assembled it must have hated me and it never worked top notch. In MP I had FPS drops constantly.

I said it may happen in single player as a possiblity, really I only experienced it in MP, so my first thought was that it was ping related. You know if a guy with bad ping enters a server it may delay all updates, that was my guess.

But yes, my FPS were bad and my monitor is medium quality, 60FPS default. My ping was ok.

Try disable vsync, limit FPS to 60,
my monitor also lags if I leave FPS uncapped and turn on vsync.

Try disable vsync, limit FPS to 60,
my monitor also lags if I leave FPS uncapped and turn on vsync.
Thanks I will do it.

Even if my PC doesn't work too well, please note that sometimes I was unable to block and others I was surprised for being too good. That's the issue, something was changing the response to my input.

its so far along now i think its pretty clear the plan is to keep combat the way it is for the most part. once the mod tools are in our hands combat will make a big change and the player base will steer away from native.
Pretty much with singleplayer and its devoid of life campaign too, I try to see the best of this and take Bannerlord as if it were gmod: an empty playground for a community to make the best out of it, even though I hope TW proves me wrong and by the final release we have an stable and fun game.

I finally managed to capture a really good example of it. At the top left corner you can see my mouse moovement and left/right button clicking. You can clearly see the delay at my last hit. My actions are already over for a long time when the character executes them.

I have experienced this also immediately in SP. It's very hard to guess what could be the root cause of this issue.

My best guess is, that the game punishes the button-press conflicts and combines the press and mouse move during attack (mouse move after attack button release). I mean pressed both mouse buttons the same time (which is visible in your last video) will probably cause ignore the last action (that would make sense after all).

The second part is really just a guess, but I personally think the attack button is combined by your mouse move trace in its complete path. I have the feeling that the combat mechanic combines the right button press and the mouse move even after the right button is released (in it's complete move path). I think the game interprets this as a complete path of the slash. And even after you release the right button but you move your view with mouse, it still considers you are performing the attack (right mouse) and it ignores your left mouse press.

Back
Top Bottom