Combat Delay

Users who are viewing this thread

Combat Delay

60 fps, 24 ping but the combat still seems to have a strange delay at random occasions. I hit or block, but my character executes the action way too late and gets hit. Either through the delay in blocking or because of holding a hit for way longer than he should (even if I just tipp LMB and not hold at all).

This Comment explains it pretty good
I agree. The wind up animation is another thing. Actually I like it and it has a reason to be.

I think it's something about too many calculations in combat. The game takes the input from mouse and keyboard but it doesn't update in time, so sometimes you feel like you can't block anything, and other times you do some clicks and are surprised later when the animations update the input super fast and the other guy is wrecked.

It may happen in SP too but it doesn't ruin the game.

I mainly play on the eu duel server, where it seems to occur often, especially at night or when many people are on the server, but it happens not only there. I heared of many others complaining about it (also regarding singleplayer), but I didn't really found something about this issue on the forum, so I make this thread to try to gather as much information about this as possible, to bring some attention to it. Unresponsiveness is a no go in a combat system, that literally depends on milisecond reaction accuracy.

Its really hard to capture it on video, because you can't see when i'm actually clicking, but you can see the animations getting executed in an extremely fast succession. That happens because of the delay. The game doesen't recognize my clicking at first and then, when I'm actually already doing another hit, it tries to squeeze the last animations in, before the new ones, which leads to an absurdly fast animation chain. (I slowed the part down so you can see which actions I mean).

EDIT: This is a really good example. At the top left corner you can see my mouse movement and left/right button clicking. You can clearly see the delay at my last hit. My actions are already over for a long time when the character executes them.

Please make a post in this thread, if you experience similar issues with delay in combat. Also feel free to post more videos of it, to better show the issue.

Last edited:
We know. It's clunky. It's uncontrollable and undependable. It's seems like it's going to stay this way and was designed this way.
People have been saying this since MP beta but I think we just let it go. I would like a option to disable chain attacks. For me personally that would help a lot.

We know. It's clunky. It's uncontrollable and undependable. It's seems like it's going to stay this way and was designed this way.
People have been saying this since MP beta but I think we just let it go.

We shouldn't just accept it, the strange delay clearly isn't intended and it could get improved for sure!

I would like a option to disable chain attacks. For me personally that would help a lot.

Why? Chain attacks are pretty useless.

Its a little better than when i started beta 9 months ago. there have been so many threads asking taleworlds to overhaul combat (mostly for mp) since then and the few that have gotten dev responses usually yielded no results or even acknowledgement of there being a problem.

its so far along now i think its pretty clear the plan is to keep combat the way it is for the most part. once the mod tools are in our hands combat will make a big change and the player base will steer away from native.

Its a little better than when i started beta 9 months ago. there have been so many threads asking taleworlds to overhaul combat (mostly for mp) since then and the few that have gotten dev responses usually yielded no results or even acknowledgement of there being a problem.

its so far along now i think its pretty clear the plan is to keep combat the way it is for the most part. once the mod tools are in our hands combat will make a big change and the player base will steer away from native.

As far as I know, these threads are concerning the combat system in general. There is a certain delay in combat, which is clearly wanted by the devs (link), but that is not what I mean! I mean a delayed response between mouse and game, which "often" happens, but there are games which are just fine, with no delays. I would describe it as fps drop without actual dropping fps.

i could be wrong but i think you're just experiencing the speed and responsiveness that bannerlord is intended to run at not a kind of performance issue or bug. when i play warband mp then immediately switch to bannerlord mp the responsiveness drop is just astounding and it feels like something is wrong in the same way you're saying.

i could be wrong but i think you're just experiencing the speed and responsiveness that bannerlord is intended to run at not a kind of performance issue or bug. when i play warband mp then immediately switch to bannerlord mp the responsiveness drop is just astounding and it feels like something is wrong in the same way you're saying.

I have exactly the same feeling with SP for both games. It's not just a MP issue, it's embedded in the way combat works at the moment.

I would argue that given that this affects both SP and MP, it should be on high priority for a fix.

If it would be intended, it would occur "allways", but it mainly happens at night or when many people are on the server. There isn't any signt of something beeing wrong. No package loss signal, no significant fps drop, no high ping, nothing. Don't get it mixed up with the general delay. which is "allways" there.

Last edited:
This very issue made me rage quit and uninstall the game since I gave up on trying to play Singleplayer and only had Multiplayer left. This and the lack of dedicated servers are the two most massive issues that ruin MP to me. We plead with TW to fix the issues, yet they show no interest in our specific concerns. They appear to be fighting their own community, and are trying to appeal to some idea and audience that doesn't even exist.

This very issue made me rage quit and uninstall the game since I gave up on trying to play Singleplayer and only had Multiplayer left. This and the lack of dedicated servers are the two most massive issues that ruin MP to me. We plead with TW to fix the issues, yet they show no interest in our specific concerns. They appear to be fighting their own community, and are trying to appeal to some idea and audience that doesn't even exist.

Its really not easy to please both the loyal old players and the new ones, they vastly different opinions of how the game should be. The forum gets flooded with reports about issues every day. If enough people complain about one specific thing, the devs will care about it eventually. Thats why I made this thread, to gather complains about this issue, so it will get recognized by the devs and doesen't get dismissed as just another thing some people don't agree with. It is clearly not something the devs intended, so it is in everyones interest, to take care of this.

i have to disagree. there have been multiple threads far more fleshed out than this one with concise statements from an overwhelming majority of the community (most in beta before release) with hundreds of replies. few of those garnered dev responses and when they did it wasn't usually to address the issue people were trying to raise.

tw is not going to budge on their new combat system as it is very intentional. its not like new players are out here disagreeing that changes need to be made. pretty sure everyone can agree combat is clunky at best compared to warband...

doesn't really matter though since this game will be 100% better at full release when we can leave native behind.
thanks for a base to build off of i guess.

i have to disagree. there have been multiple threads far more fleshed out than this one with concise statements from an overwhelming majority of the community (most in beta before release) with hundreds of replies. few of those garnered dev responses and when they did it wasn't usually to address the issue people were trying to raise.

tw is not going to budge on their new combat system as it is very intentional. its not like new players are out here disagreeing that changes need to be made. pretty sure everyone can agree combat is clunky at best compared to warband...

doesn't really matter though since this game will be 100% better at full release when we can leave native behind.
thanks for a base to build off of i guess.

I found a lot of complains about the combat system and its "build in" delays, but I didn't find anything, concerning this particular issue. I am not talking about this! Strangely enough, at the end of the beta, I didn't have any problems with the combat system at all. I even had stable 60fps, imagina that! I don't think its the combat system itself, they just changed something, which made it more unresponsive.

I found a lot of complains about the combat system and its "build in" delays, but I didn't find anything, concerning this particular issue. I am not talking about this! Strangely enough, at the end of the beta, I didn't have any problems with the combat system at all. I even had stable 60fps, imagina that! I don't think its the combat system itself, they just changed something, which made it more unresponsive.
I agree. The wind up animation is another thing. Actually I like it and it has a reason to be.

I think it's something about too many calculations in combat. The game takes the input from mouse and keyboard but it doesn't update in time, so sometimes you feel like you can't block anything, and other times you do some clicks and are surprised later when the animations update the input super fast and the other guy is wrecked.

Exactly! This is what I try to say, your explanation is way shorter and better :grin:

Put simply: it's really ****ing bad and needs to be changed.

Y'know, instead of ADJUSTING THAT ONE NUMBER IN ONE RANDOM UNIT'S SHIELD HIT POINTS (WHICH NO ONE EVEN KNEW IN THE FIRST PLACE) FOR THE FIFTIETH TIME AND CALLING IT A NEW PATCH TALEWORLDS

Put simply: it's really ****ing bad and needs to be changed.

Y'know, instead of ADJUSTING THAT ONE NUMBER IN ONE RANDOM UNIT'S SHIELD HIT POINTS (WHICH NO ONE EVEN KNEW IN THE FIRST PLACE) FOR THE FIFTIETH TIME AND CALLING IT A NEW PATCH TALEWORLDS

That wouldn't describe the problem at all and noone would knew, what I want to get changed. And these numbers can easily get changed, bigger things need more time, thats why you mostly see these little changes. That doesen't mean, that they aren't working on other things at all. But lets stay on topic.

The delay just completely ruins the combat. I think it would be a worthy improvement over the old combat if it wasn't for that bull****. Blocking in M&B is challenging enough without a stupid delay rendering 20% of your correct blocks never actually happening.

Back
Top Bottom