Cloudy Years - Devercia's RPG, Signup/planning

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devercia

Grandmaster Knight
RP thread

This topic was moved from Fun Stuff

Well I decided to try my hand at hosting a forum RPG. I've been inspired by Horse and in his absence need a creative outlet.

Before I get into the details I'd like to point out what I expect this to be. This will be survival/adventure in a low-fantasy world

Hosting/game Style

First I'd like to point out that the style of play will be very spontaneous and ad hoc. I won't be useing any sort of book or system. There are not dexerity points or level ups. Your skills and abilities will develop, evolving and devolving with circumstance. As the player, you will also never be presented with a quantification of your abilities, only a vague description. I like to write my own story and think turning game elements into quantifiable variables cheapens the story element.

This will require a little more effort on the players part to not only play to the story, but to reason, and not just game the numbers. You will simply have to trust me to be fair, however, stupidity begets stupidity, so don't expect mercy from me. The game will be quite harsh and death will be a threat.

Basically, a PC will have a handful of players assigned to it. The main player does everything, but only has priority for 12 hours(the time element may be changed later). otherwise one of the others may usurp the 'turn' for lack of a better word.

I am open to civil criticisms, but do not turn this into an opera. I reserve the right to eject someone for any attempt at ooc manipulation, including rhetoric.

There will be a separate RP only thread.

Players will need to provide properly fleshed out role play elements and display a grasp of good RP, includeing playing by your characters personality and motivations. This is a hint, your character will need these things.

The game will be centered on survival, both wilderness and social. There will be focus on group dynamics, as well as open plots.

Play Structure

As the GM, I will describe the setting and play NPCs. NPCs might be farmed out to other players as the game moves on. I will start by giving a history of your village and the setting.

Personal information will also be sent by PM. This information is considered introspection, its you characters personal memories and thoughts. As the player you can define the characters thought, think of the character as 75/25. 75% player driven, 25% GM driven. What ever you decide to do with the musings I send by PM is up to you. These musings will be along the nature of how you think others view you, or whether or not you feel sick etc.

PCs will be given turns. These turns come in several types: Long, medium, short and combat. These turns are asynchronous. Engaging in a long turn may mean your character sits out the next set of turns if the other characters are doing shorter turns.

Long turns take several hours or more, and the player is expected to provide a vague description of what his character intends to do during that period. Long turns are mostly consist of travel or sleeping.

Medium Turns span a few hours. They usually center around a single activity, such as fishing.

Short turns are anywhere from a minute to an hour. They are specific actions like shopping, or step by step activities that need to be explained to the GM or other players. A discourse could be considered a short turn, but PCs may RP their discussions in any logical situation regardless of the turn. This is the case with any set of activities that can be done simultaneously. 

Combat turns are matters of seconds. They are vague descriptions of minute actions. Engaging in melee with an axe is a combat turn. So is maneuvering, charging at an enemy, or loosing an arrow. Certain circumstances may cause certain characters to miss combat turns. Two characters brawling  in wrestling match are likely to be stuck together. Free characters might get several turns during this time. Some circumstances also cause compulsory actions that deny the player from making a decision. These are usually reflex actions or fear effects. An archer dropping his bow, pulling a dagger and charging at an enemy that is engaging him is an example.

After engaging in a turn, I will describe the results, as well as nuances of the methods used. As an example, you may wish to cut a man down after he insults you. This would be a combat turn. What you will receive as a result is a run down of the factors of the situation. This sort of action is obviously based on anger, so you should expect your character to act ferociously and without much deftness. Be careful because these motives and circumstances, both internal and external, will effect the details of your action in your turn, and the consequences. Your opponent's will receive similar treatment. He may have insulted you in the attempt to provoke you, which means he will be ready and expect rashness, or he might have just been careless and completely caught off guard by your violent reaction.

World Development

If you have played Unreal World, you'll have an idea if only you transport it into a low fantasy medieval setting. The world, at least where it starts, is scarcely populated and stricken with poverty. Even your simple possessions will have real value. The feudal system is in swing, as well as a sort of caste system.

Magic exists, but is rare. It is also not "I cast magic missile" magic, it requires hard training or some rare aptitude, and is grounded in the very least a sort of game-specific pseudo-science, such as alchemy. Makeing a rock levitate wil be a true achievement, and not degraded to "minor magiks."

This will be expanded when I get some characters and players. I leave it vague for the characters players make to impact it.

Character Development

You may submit character ideas here. I will choose and modify how I see fit. If I choose your character, your the primary player of it. I'm looking for convincing characters with real motivations, traits and faults. There will initially be 4 PCs.

Here is some basic background. Your characters live in a small rural village. They are all serfs and impoverished, but I might upjump someone. The village is surrounded by forests. None have ventured more than 30 miles away. The village has 5 or so families, with a few singular inhabitants. Subsistence is the occupation of most. The climate is wet year round, mild summers, unpredictable winters. The village is part of a huge but undeveloped fiefdom controlled by a knight. 3 days a week are set aside for communal service to the village.

IF you want me to expand this, just ask questions. The first RP post will paint a much more detailed picture.

Some RP information will be sent by PM instead of publicly on the forums. Your characters will know things other PCs and NPCs may or may not. Considering or discussing such knowledge will help to make characters a bit more unique. PMs will also give hints on your relationship with other characters. As GM, I will also inject personal memories of your characters into the PMs. Your character will be based on your proposal, but I will throw in some things with the PMs to facilitate group dynamics.

The basics of what I need for characters are:

Name: (First only)
Age: I would like to have 1 middle aged character and 1 youth and 2 20-somethings. If you wish to deviate, just ask, I'm open.
Occupation: (Remember the setting, your piss poor in nowheresville forest with communal duty, Most of your time is spent on subsistence work. This is still a primitive communal society, it is likely you have a handful  of specialties that you are only mediocre at executing.)
Short Term Condition:
Long Term Condition: basic health, deformities etc.
Height and Bone Mass: (weight and build will be defined by circumstance)

Personality: (I'm looking for motivations and traits here. I suggest looking at http://www.russellrowe.com/Myers-Briggs%20Typology%20System.htm#What%20is%20MY%20Myers-Briggs%20Type? tables 1 and 2, you don't have to subscribe to the theory or anything. tables 1 and 2 are about 10%down the scrollbar. The links on the page a linked to will auto scroll to them. It can give you some ideas to play with.)

Send in a pic like the ones for the other chars. I can edit them if need be or make one for you based on description.

additional RP info in encouraged. I Have laid down these ground settings and such, but I am always open to suggestion, at least in this preparatory stage.

Players

None yet

To get this going, I am going to make a single character that will be public for a time.

Characters:

Arildrac-1.jpg

Arildrac of Beansville
Short Term Condition: Chilled, Sated and Rested
Weapons/Tools:
None
Clothing/Armor:
Lenin Undershirt: A tan sleeveless loose knit undershirt with sweat stains.
Lenin Loincloth: A strip of cloth about a meter long.
Woolen Tunic: A long-sleeve, upper thigh length, loose woven garment. Its is in new condition and quite warm and of good quality.
Woolen Hosiery: Light tan, tight woven, loose-fitting hose. It's a bit threadbare, but good quality.
Leather Skullcap: made of stitched rabbit hides, poor quality. 
Felt Low-boots: Made of felt sewn to leather soles. Felt straps keep the felt tied down to the ankle. Good quality, but not comfortable or durable.
Accessories/Containers:
Simple Leather Belt: Simple strap, no buckle.
- Hempen Satchel: Made of coarse woven hemp with a should strap. Has a volume of 1.3 liters.
- - 25 sprigs of widow's wart
- Leather Waterskin: 1 liter
- -Water 1/1 liter
Herblore: You have picked up on some of the local wisdom of herbs, being able to identify them and have intuition on their properties.
Farming : You've worked in the fields for most of your life. You know a thing or two about the very basics agriculture and your muscles are quite toned.
Rangering: You often take long walks in the local wilderness looking for herbs. You have sharp eyes and the area within 5 miles of your village is very familiar to you.
Long Term Condition: Underweight, mild chronic knee pain.
Height and Bone Mass: Short, average.
Personality: Lacks willpower, socially reserved, courteous, respects authority, dislikes the conflict of argument and debate, unorganized, physically observant, appreciates beauty, always active, self-interested, naieve, appreciates tradition and ritual.

History Influences
You were raised by your maternal grandmother Gertrude after a sickness killed your parents. She was not an appreciated member of the village and many suspected her of witchcraft, even cursing the village with the pestilence that killed so many. She was a demanding guardian and ruled over your childhood with great authority. She died when you were 15, before you ever made any show of will to her other than a runaway attempt at the age of 7.  She had taught you the value of rituals and herbs in everyday life. With this knowledge your personal enterprises have revolved around what florae you could scrounge from the local countryside and farm on the minuscule garden you cultivate. As such only the hunters have a better understanding of the lay of the land, and only beyond a days walk. Your long walks have kept you healthy and energetic even as you have aged, but you've noticed your knees are not as supple as they used to be and tend to start aching in the afternoon. You have not been fed well for much of your life causing your growth to be stunted in your adolescence and you've made little progress since. You work hard and the physically demanding nature of the farm labor on the communal day has strengthened what muscles you have. Like most of the serfs of Beansville, you've never ventured far beyond a days walk.

Those old enough to remember Gertrude do not value your place in the village and seek to ostracize you. You are not married, nor have had much of any chance to be. The closest friends you have are of a younger generation and are but a handful. Years of witnessing petty squabbles have turned you off of any socially abrasive actions, not matter how constructive, including debate and criticism. The natural beauty of nature is harsh and wonderous to you ever since you ran away from Gertrude as a boy.

M4.jpg

Name: Alan
Short Term Condition: Fed, Rested

Weapons/Tools
Hunting bow - A solid heartwood yew self bow, 45 pound draw weight, no re-curve (Medium Quality)
22 home-made arrows - Medium weight arrows with goose feather fletching and razor sharp flint broad-head tips (High Quality)
Small Knife - A crude iron knife with a 5 inch blade (Low quality)
Clothing/Armour
Wool Singlet - Loose knit, stained, smelly and scratchy sleeveless under shirt (Low Quality)
Linen Foot wrappings - Loose knit, stained, smelly and scratchy (Low Quality)
Fleece Jerkin - short sleeve, waist length sheepskin vest, quite mangy (Low Quality)
Wool mantle - a yellow loose knit mantle and hood with a long tale.
Leather bracer - A strap of leather on the left arm
Linen Trousers - Threadbare, mud stained white trousers (Low Quality)
Felt-Leather Boots (High Quality)
Accessories/Containers
Leather Belt (Low Quality, Brass Buckle)
- Leather quiver: Holds 12 arrows
- - 12 home-made arrows - Medium weight arrows with goose feather fletching and razor sharp flint broad-head tips (High Quality)
- 10 home-made arrows - Medium weight arrows with goose feather fletching and razor sharp flint broad-head tips (High Quality)
- Small Knife - A crude iron knife with a 5 inch blade (Low quality)
- Field Prepped Crane: 0 days old
- 2x Flat Leather belt pouches: 1 litre each, 2/3 full
- - Flint and steel
- - Whetstone
- - 3 dried venicen strips: tough and stringy
- - Flat Rye bread: 3 days old, bland and grainy
Waterskin (1.5 litres)
- Water 1.5/1.5
Comestibles
Field Prepped Crane: 0 days old
3 dried venicen strips: tough and stringy
Flat Rye bread: 3 days old, bland and grainy
Woodsman - Basic outdoorsmanship, good for man self sufficient tasks in the wilderness
Hunter - Some experience with archery, and tracking, you also tend to be patent and don't hesitate with violence.
Fletcher - You have atalent for flint knapping and some good experience with crafting arrows. You picked up some crude knowledge of bow construction on the way.
Long Term Condition: Quite healthy, if a little undernourished. Missing left pinky.
Height and Bone Mass: 5'11" stout skeletal build
Personality: A quiet person, very willful, respects authority to a certain degree, organized, strives for a peaceful environment, optimist.

Notable NPCs
Should players wish to take on an NPC, they need only ask.

Beansville:
Melder1.jpg

Age ~65
The patriarch of the Bean Family, an elder of Beansville and yeoman. The most respected person in Beansville. He is known to have his mind on his money and prestige in the community. Howard makes his living off his orchards in the autumn and his swineherd in the winter.
M2.jpg

Age ~35
A yeoman, the village courier and son of Howard Bean. He knows the most about whats down the road and is also one of the few that can read and write. A bit boorish but good natured. Howl uses his freehold as a logger and charcoal maker.
Felder1.jpg

Age ~60
The matriarch of the Sheer Family, and elder of Beansville, communal fiduciary and serf. She thinks of nothing but work and getting it done, prudence and planning be damned. The sheer family is known for keeping livestock of many sorts and adapting their communal duties into their private enterprise.
F1.jpg

Age ~35
Daughter-in-law of Fern, a  shepherd and serf. Her husband died in the pestilence, leaving her to raise their only daughter. Pensive and reclusive.
Fchild1.jpg

Age ~10
The local know-it-all child and serf. She is not particularly deep, but is full of gossip she is more than willing to share.
Melder2.jpg

Age ~70
The patriarch of the Lentil Family, an elder of Beansville and freeman. A gossip and manipulator. He uses his intelligence to steps on others in order to advance his own ends. Despite this, the practical plans he puts forwards in village meetings garner him respect. The Lentils have a wide variety of skills and occupations. They are the closest thing to consignment merchants in Beansville, and are agreeable in trading their personal possessions, for the right price.
F4.jpg

Age ~45
A craftswoman, gardener, and freeman. She is the daughter of Howard Bean, and married to Okim Lentil. She is said to be adored by her Father-in-law. A willfull and objective woman, she is probubly the most compassionate in the village.
M1.jpg

Age ~40
A freeman and the closest thing to a metalworker in Beansville. Okim's skills are base and crude, but what little metalworks he provides is invaluable. Lazy and self-aggrandizing, Okim uses his skills for the sake of those that know him best.
M7.jpg

Age ~20
The grandson and son, as some might say, of Omar and a freeman. Son of Okim and Lilith. Shadreich is a reclusive and isolated eccentric. The Sheers and Fawns would agree that he is a do nothing layabout, tolerating his idleness only on account of the very common view that he is not right in the head. Conversations with him are bizarre, either at the height of enthusiasm or the most curt of disinterest but sometimes show a glimpse of uncanny insight blanketed in babble. He spends much of his time pacing and wandering the village, either staring into space, intently at the most mundane objects, or drawing incomprehensible images in the dirt. He is likely the least judgmental person in Beansville, but just simply is not interested in those that relish in practical affairs.
Felder2.jpg

Age ~60
The matriarch of the Periwinkle Family, and elder of Beansville and serf. Growing senility has left this person a bit of a loon.
M10.jpg

Age ~40
Anna's second son and serf. Daegan is a devout believer of the Sacred Bones cult. The cult centers around the believe that artifacts of the dead lend power to homes and communities that they reside in. He is a flax farmer and a rhetter.
F3.jpg

Age ~20
Anna's grand daughter and serf, one of the only handful of maidens in Beansville. Her mother died in childbirth, her father never returned from the Levy that he joined 8 years ago. She seems to have developed wanderlust having very quickly run out of suitors. She is a weaver and dyer.
F7.jpg

Age 17
Anna's second grand daughter and serf. A boisterous gossiper, but dislikes conflict.
Melder3.jpg

Age ~65
The patriarch of the Fawn Family, an elder of Beansville, village reeve and freeman. This man expects discipline and order under all circumstances in every act. His conviction to his arbitrary sense of right and wrong borders on ritualism. Generally unpleasant to work with, but honest to a fault.
M3.jpg

Age ~40
A Hunter and freeman Jahim is a son of Jhonus Fawn, he is exempt from Communal Duties, instead supplying meat on feast days or when game is available. Week long hunting excursions have given him an enlightened image of the local area and landmarks as far as 70 miles away. He is often away on hunts. He most often appears to be displeased.
F2.jpg

Age ~35
Jahim's wife, she is a tanner, butcher, supplying the town with meat and leather. She is also known to create items from leather. Dutiful and friendly
Mchild1.jpg

Age ~15
Son of Jahim, hunter, tanner and freeman. Curious and always trying to 'be a man.'

Post freely. OP is still under construction. Suggestions welcome.

Short Term Condition: (?)
Long Term Condition: Quite healthy, if a little undernourished. Missing left pinky.
Height and Bone Mass: 5'11" (How do I define bone mass?)
Personality: A quiet person, very wilful, respects authority to a certain degree, organized, strives for a peaceful enviroment.

Weapons/Tools
Hunting bow (Medium Quality)
27 home-made arrows (High Quality)
Small Knife (Medium Quality)
Clothing/Armour
Wool Singlet (Low Quality)
Linen Foot wrappings (Low Quality)
Leather Tunic (Low Quality)
Leather Gauntlets (Medium Quality)
Linen Trousers (Low Quality)
Accessories/Containers
Leather Backpack (Medium Quality, Holds 4 litres)
Leather Belt (Low Quality, Brass Buckle, Can hold Waterskins etc.)
Waterskin (1.5 litres)
- Water 1.5/1.5
Flint and steel
Sharpening stone

Woodsman - Basic outdoorsmanship Eg. Making small fires, splitting logs
Hunter - Proficient with a Bow, can skin and butcher small animals
Fletcher - Very experienced making arrows, whilst mediocre at bow making

Sushiman said:
Short Term Condition: (?)
Height and Bone Mass: 5'11" (How do I define bone mass?) Thin, Stout etc.
Personality: A quiet person, very wilful, respects authority to a certain degree, organized, strives for a peaceful environment.

Weapons/Tools
Hunting bow A solid heartwood yew self bow, 45 pound draw weight, no recurve. (Medium Quality)
27 22 home-made arrows medium weight arrows with goose feather fletchings and razor sharp flint broadheads (High Quality)
Small Knife A crude iron knife with a 4inch blade.(Medium Quality)(Low quality)
Clothing/Armour
Wool Singlet Loose knit, stained, smelly and scratchy sleevelss undershirt. (Low Quality)
Linen Foot wrappings Loose knit, stained, smelly and scratchy(Low Quality)
Leather Tunic Fleece Jerkin: short sleeve, waist length sheepskin vest, quite mangy (Low Quality)
Wool mantle: a yellow loose knit mantle and hood with a long tale.
Leather Gauntlets (Medium Quality)
Leather bracer: A strap of leather on the left arm
Linen Trousers Threadbare, mudstained white trousers(Low Quality)
Accessories/Containers
Leather Backpack (Medium Quality, Holds 4 litres)Leather quiver: holds 12 arrows
2x Flat Leather belt pouches: 1 liter
Leather Belt (Low Quality, Brass Buckle,)
Waterskin (1.5 litres)
- Water 1.5/1.5
Flint and steel
Sharpening whetstone

Hunter - Proficient with a Bow, can skin and butcher small animals Can field prep animals, and clumsily butcher, basic tracking skills
Fletcher - Very experienced making arrows, whilst mediocre armature at bow making

Made some changes in bold. These were mostly to match up and balance your character to the setting. Does they check out with you? I might flesh out some of the item descriptions further to meet my own standards(its just flumf). I will also need to work you into the village society. You can make a suggestion if you wish. I know its pretty lean for the moment.

EDIT: reasons for change:

Gauntlets are quite difficult to make and outside the expertise of the village. Most everyone is a generalist in their careers.
Backpacks in the way we think of them for the same reason, there are more primitive versions I would be happy with, but your would need mention it to be so.
Bowyer: I'm a bowyer myself, unlike with fletching, there is a great deal of theory in bow design in addition to technical skill. Your amateur status is enough for a simple 45# bow.

Short Term Condition: Fed, Rested
Height and Bone Mass: 5'11" Stout build
Personality: A quiet person, very wilful, respects authority to a certain degree, organized, strives for a peaceful environment.

Weapons/Tools
Hunting bow - A solid heartwood yew self bow, 45 pound draw weight, no re-curve (Medium Quality)
22 home-made arrows - Medium weight arrows with goose feather fletching and razor sharp flint broad-head tips (High Quality)
Small Knife - A crude iron knife with a 5 inch blade (Low quality)
Clothing/Armour
Wool Singlet - Loose knit, stained, smelly and scratchy sleeveless under shirt (Low Quality)
Linen Foot wrappings - Loose knit, stained, smelly and scratchy (Low Quality)
Fleece Jerkin - short sleeve, waist length sheepskin vest, quite mangy (Low Quality)
Wool mantle - a yellow loose knit mantle and hood with a long tale.
Leather bracer - A strap of leather on the left arm
Linen Trousers - Threadbare, mud stained white trousers (Low Quality)
Accessories/Containers
Leather quiver: Holds 12 arrows
2x Flat Leather belt pouches: 1 litre
Leather Belt (Low Quality, Brass Buckle)
Waterskin (1.5 litres)
- Water 1.5/1.5
Flint and steel
Whetstone

Hunter - Proficient with a Bow, Can field prep animals, clumsily butchering and basic tracking skills
Fletcher - Very experienced making arrows, whilst amateur at bow making

Ok, more finalised list. Made a few small changes. More to come soon

I made a quick character, anyone wants to use, go ahead.

Name : Emma
Short Term Condition : Rested, Hungry
Long Term Condition : Chronic back pain
Height and Bone Mass : 5' 7" , Slight
Personality : Loud, but dislikes conflict. Gossips a lot.

Weapons/Tools
Skinning Knife - A small 2" blade for skinning animals
Leatherworking Kit - A small hammer and a few pins and studs to manipulate leather
Clothing/Armour
Woolen vest - Medium knit, scratchy but warming (Medium Quality)
Linen Hose - A pair of white undergarments (Low Quality)
Felt Shoes - Shoes cut under the ankle. Whilst being of low quality, they are surprisingly comfy (Low Quality)
Linen Dress - A dark blue dress cut just below the knee, does little to protect against warmth, but is very robust (Medium Quality)
Accessories/Containers
Simple Belt - Little more than a length of rope tied around her waist
Small Waterskin (Holds half a litre)
- Water (0.5 litres)
Leather Satchel (Holds 1.1 litres) - A well made satchel for everyday use (High Quality)

Leatherworking - Can craft items from leather - (Proficient)
Fabric Dying - Can dye cloths to a limited range of colours - (Poor)
Weaving - Able to use a loom to make cloth from different materials - (Lacking)
Sewing - Can make clothes and containers from weaved fabrics and leather - (Skilled)

Good good.

As far as personality, There will probably be some additions and editing on my part. Not so much to change it but to broaden or refine it so that it can help with my writing. Personalities will also develop during the game.

The families in Beansville are becoming more defined. I made some new portraits, so I will be making additions eventially.

Your characters will need to be inserted into a family. They can also be loners, but they won't be respected much. Each family has its own personality but they are not set in stone, so don't feel like you have to find their niche. Its assumed your character has spent a significant portion of their life n Beansville, so a knowledge of the locals is to be present. 

Also, with our permission, I'd like to display your PM with my replies.

Devercia said:
Sushiman said:
Just a few ideas/questions. Is this going to be more of a story, or a game? My ideas only really apply if it's going to be a game.

Both.  The player defines the actions of the character instead of choosing from within a given set of option. The characters personality, motivations, physique, environment, a randomizing factor and just about every circumstance I can draw from will influence just how well the decision plays out. In the end it will rely on my own creative narrative.

1. Containers: Don't use volume, say how many items they can hold.

iamahorse said:
Items
You may only carry as many items as your current pack(s) will allow as well as the four small items you may keep in your pockets. Every item will have a size designation and depending upon the size you will be limited to what you can carry. The item sizes are the following:

Tiny, Small, Medium (=4 Small), Large (=8 Small), Huge

You can carry a near infinate amount of tiny items while you can only carry a huge item with great difficulty and only after meeting its DC
I choose to use volume as a rough guideline. Its not so much that your container can hold exactly so much. When a character puts a new item in a pack, I will tell him how much space he thinks is left. "You feel your pack is full, but you think you could stuff a bit more in." There is no real calculation, I'm just going to use my judgment. The purpose is not only to limit what can be carried, but to provide me with a literary out if some minor inconvenience befalls you, like your overstuffed pack spilling its contents, or busting a stitch.

2. Skills: Proficiencies. The higher the skill, the more items, and the better quality you can manufacture.
I had planned to have basic skills be universal with affinities based on past experience. For instance, instead of being a 'novice' or a 'professional' or some other loosely subjectivised number, have instead a past experience. Why I prefer this is because being a 'professional hunter' does not necessarily cover everything a hunter might do. Since the players and characters decide what to do and how to do it, and given the dynamic nature I plan to give the game, I need something that will cover a broad spectrum. If the skills were specifically valued while undefined in scope, it presents me with a bit of a problem.

in addition to this, your characters natural talents will come into play. Your character might be strong of body and short of limb, these circumstances can aid and hinder many different actions.  Specific skills that overlap several affinities would be easier for your character. To use the previous example, if your character has hunting experience, with rangering( that is, long treks) and was a scout in the army; there is some serious overlap there, you can expect to be an expert in something as specific as recognizing a particular track, or starting a fire. You might even be able to read smoke signals.

(under consideration) Talent varies dramatically, but experience is usually something you either have or don't. The proficiencies you describe are there, but they are determined on the fly by mixing talent and experience into a circumstantial environment. I'm planning on defining talents based on personality and physique, room for those that can't be logically tied to either. I might think with a good roll that if the previous hunter was reserved, he probably would stand to be more patient with slowly tracking and stalking his pray for long periods of time. This is one of the reasons why I want character with real motivations and psych preferences. It tells me how this character would approach the situation.

The initial story is coming together in my head. However I am of two minds on whether or not to start it now.

If I start now, we can have a sort of trial run with the game system to iron out any holes. With only 2 PCs and only one with a player, any problems I encounter will be easier to manage. I also think it will show potential players how this game works, functioning as a demo to stimulate interest. During this period there may be a lack of social interaction with players for obvious reasons. I wonder if this may portray the game badly.

If we wait till we have some more players, I can tie in their characters to the environment beforehand, rather than having them appear out of nowhere and trying to justify their existence and lack of mention to this point. This problem can be slightly alleviated by inserting them into the holes in the family trees.

What do you guy(s) think?

I've started writing the intro, and hopefully it will be done in a few days. It will be significant in legth, and I also need to tie up the loose ends, as well as allow for openings for other players. I've decided that the character Alan(Sushiman) will be a Fawn. I'll also need to make a portrait.

Hey Deverica,

Looks good and I'm interested to see where you'll take this.

I can sign up as Howl Bean, if you want. Potential problems: a) I won't be around for three weeks in Nov (but can probably post once or twice a week in that time) and b) I'm not very familiar with the mechanics of these things.

When it starts there will be a public character(Arildrac.)Feel free to take his turns. For the start at least, there will only be him and Alan(Sushiman.) The playability of the NPCs depends on how the story goes. Not even I know. I do have several avenues and events in mind, but the randomness of the....random element, plus the decisions of the players could take it anywhere. After the first few turns, Ill try to work in any other players/characters. Luckily by then, the feel for the game will become apparent, and people will be able to judge whether or not they want to play it.

Anyway, I'm expecting the first few turns to be a bit clunky while we all get our sea legs.

OK guys,

The intro turn is up. You can take any action you wish, within reason.

You can execute your tern in several ways. Simple commands are just fine, but inner dialog and simple actions (IE nothing that requires me to moderate) are encouraged. More complex actions that do require my moderation are fine, so long as you don't post the results, that's for me to do. Longer story style RP commands are encouraged as well. I don't want to do all the writing :smile: Just keep it to your character.

Don't worry about mucking it up, these first few turns will have a trial and error quality to them.

Redundant inventory items are scratched out. This is because they fit into multiple categories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom