Character builds

Users who are viewing this thread

Selothi

Baron
So yeah, as we all know, the Eagle and the Radiant Cross, aside from being a great mod, also offers the player new ways to ... well, play. With guns, we can have horseback shooting, or you can stand with your men and fight, but those same guns also make your chances of survival far more volatile. So I was wondering, what character builds do you all use in tEatRC ? Simple knight with sword ? Footman with handcannon ?

Personally, I always tend to do a character who wields a Double Barrelled Caliver, a Flintlock Pistol and a mêlée weapon from horseback. It's fun, versatile, and very powerful. Lately, I thought of an idea: an all ranged build. So I've tried it out: Double Barrelled Caliver, Khergit Bow, Barbed Arrows and Cartridges, and whatever armor happens to float my boat.

Well ... It's weird, the two ranged weapons both supplement themselves and cancel themselves out. When on horseback, using a gun, you have to target important targets due to long reload time, whereas using a bow, you just spray anything that moves, due to the huge speed of those things. However, to take down an Aristocratic Cavalryman, you might need two-three arrows, whereas a good shot to the back, and they're dead with a gun. So yeah, you've got the slow behemoth and the quick wasp in one build, and also forsaking the use of mêlée weapons.

Anyway, with this build, you can't realistically solo. Get your horse chopped down from under you, and you're dead. However, when fighting with an army, it becomes far more fun. You get to pin-point the big cavalry, lords and other targets of import, your men do the normal job. I personally use an all-cavalry army with this build, 'cos otherwise, it gets too hectic having to protect infantry with ranged weapons.

So, yeah, thoughts ? And of course, your own builds (and pictures, you're more than welcome to !)

I like to use the same setup , Double Barrelled Caliver, a Flintlock Pistol and a mêlée weapon from horseback.

Though sometimes I carry a Piedmont Caliver and Double Barrelled.

It depends what kind of concept I used for my character. All of them ride horses, coz this is Mount&Blade! :wink:
One character (Connor McLaud, a clansman) uses a 2h sword, 2h voulge/bardiche/axe and the Redeemer with cartridges.
Another one (Jan Czartoryski, based on Polish XVII-century nobleman) uses a 1h sabre, the Zepulyos lance and a caliver.
Third one (Henri de Cabernet, a Swadian bounty hunter) wields a caliver and 1,5h-sword plus shield with the Swadian eagle.

I thought about creating an infantry guy but I usually don't have too much patience to run all the way to the enemies :grin:

Hah, yeah, I have an infantry character (Marsille, Baron du Douche and his "Knights du Douche") and heck is it hard. My last battle with him, and we were a bunch of Laurians, maybe 50 or so, with my party of 60, facing about two Vaegir Boyars and the two Cossack parties. Those guys are what really screwed us. When you have seventy guys riding around you shooting at your tightly-packed ranks, thinks don't go well. Even with good armor, one heck of a 2H sword, and the Hand Cannon, we lost pretty quickly before even the infantry arrived, so yeah. Heavy cavalry really screw you, you can't get a hit and they trample you ...

I've played as infantery for long time, double barrel, halberd and shield (useful when you just want to take a look while your troops wait behind)

Now as knight (with a hunter horse) I just change halberd for lance. I have a lot of problems if I'm dehorsed  :lol: Time to order cavalry "Follow me!"  :oops:

My character is usually on foot with his men after riding out with my cavalry for a quick blast with my hand cannon to the enemy cavalry then its back to my lines and dismount. I use a halberd, Hand cannon and a redeemer. The hand cannon gives me a first devastating blast to large enemy groups but takes to long to reload. So I switch to the redeemer for fast pot shots at standard bearers and horsemen. Then when they get close out with the halberd to deal death one to one. Then I remount to charge down the last stragglers

I really think guns add a ton to this mod, but, I find I really only use it as a situational weapon. I use a two handed axe and most battles I'm usually chasing down enemy cavalry, trying to keep them from my infantry(Laurians) and really only take out the gun when I'm chasing someone on a faster horse or the battles winding down and I'd like to have some fun picking infantry off. :eek:

Ill use a repeater rifle, lance, and my trusty flamberge. I usually remain mounted on a heavy charger (to better withstand enemy ranged weaponry) and shoot with my gunners, then lead the cavalry in a devastating counter charge. I prefer heavy armor, but wear a stylish hat with cap at all times.

. I don't know why, but in the first week (In game) I got an elephant gun, repeater, hand cannon and redeemer.

Well my Build would be:

Large Bag of Cartriges, The Redeemer Rifle, Shield and Sword.

The Build is amazing because it takes a few (5-10 I forgot) bullets until you have to reload. Then if you don't have enough time, just take out your wacky sword and own them all.

Siege:

Hand Cannon, Redeemer and 2x Cartridges

This build is amazing again because you would rush in with redeemer, then when you get to a mob, switch to hand cannon and blow everyone up. BEST BUILD EVER GUYS

After releasing this version I've finally had time to sit down and play a character without exiting and changing things every 5 minutes :razz:.
Anyways, after reading a book about Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, I decided to play a cuirassier, the type of heavy cavalry which would have been deployed by the Catholic league during the 30 years war, that gave Adolphus so much trouble. I haven't gotten all the equipment yet, but I've got the basics: a good horse, two guns, a sword and heavy armor. I have been using their tactics and it's been loads of fun so far: I charge at the the enemy infantry, as I approach I shoot a gun, change to the other one, shoot it aswell and then draw my sword and smash the first line and start slashing like crazy. It's quite dangerous but fun as hell.

Exactly how I tend to do it, though with light armor and against the archers. See, Laurians don't give a **** about their arquebusiers, so they leave them to advance towards the enemy while the infantry stays in a tight group. So, I lead my cavalry towards them, doing whatever possible to avoid any of those idiots from rushing inot the mass of glinting pikes, and decimate their ranged units. Unload the two shots from my Caliver, unload the one shot from my pistol, slash slash slash, get away, reload the pistol 'cos it takes less time, and attack the enemy cavalry with a shot to the shoulder (seriously, I almost always end up shooting the shoulder)

Doing this the third time round, and it just never gets boring !

I usually ride a hunter, and have a fast one handed sword as my main weapon. Then either two pistols or The Redeemer, depending if I want to look nice or if I want to kill a lot of people with a big gun. I ride around shooting, then cutting. So, pretty much the same thing as a lot of people.

I also tried a foot archer in the last version and it worked out really well. I ended up doing more damage with a bow than I would with a gun since I hit almost every time and could shoot quicker. But I like the gun shot sound, so I use them.  :grin:

I vary my charecter builds wildely, as I like to try things from every angle and type as possible, but here is my favorite: Armored in general Reiter with the slightly bacon colored half-plate, helm, and splinted greaves. I am armed with a sword, two pistols (going old style on you guys), and a large bag of cartridges, and I ride atop a champion courser. I am a master rider, shooter, duelist, runner, horse-back shooting extrodinaire, with a band of faithful Reiters to back me up in a fight. I am also a mercenary, selling my blade and loyalty to whoever pays the most (and who is winning. I am notorious for switching sides at the slightest change in the tide) and fighting in every tournament, jousting match, and tourney in the land.

I like to play a Swadian Knight like build. Heavy Armor for extra protection vs. anything. Lance to get some kill with charges and a twohander to make sure i live to see another day. Mount is of course charger. works pretty well when charging with Swadian knights. If the fight is a siege i might use an reapeater rifle.

I prefer a polehammer or halberd to lance these days, since you can beat the crap out of it and couch it too (though they are a bit short)

Military scythe makes a good melee weapon too, since you can couch it, poke, bash, and use a shield with it.

I'm back to my favorite after trying a few different builds. I fight on foot with my state gunners using a repeater with a pistol for those moments when loading a weapon gets you killed and a bastard sword for those few that get close enough to need run through.This way I know when to advance or withdraw with my men. I find if I'm off riding around on my horse I lose track of my infantry and get high casualties. I wear Imperial state armour as I have become a Imperial purist and only hire state troops. That also means I hate mounted archers.

Back
Top Bottom