Native Completed Calamity and John's Team Tournament | CJ's TT

How many random plains re-rolls does it take to make you rage?

Votes: 22 27.5%

Votes: 8 10.0%

Votes: 5 6.3%

Votes: 5 6.3%

Votes: 7 8.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • 8+

Votes: 31 38.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather have ninja archers, at least you can ambush them in the trees and have room to maneuver. Arena is just so cramped.

no Battle on Ice, Forest Hideout, Canyon. It would be nice to see Desert town being played competitive. Its a interesting map that seems like a nord town version of village. Reminds me a lot of dust or w.e. that CS map is. Arena is fine, its boring map that really doesn't have much tactics involved in it but none the less a balanced map. Battle on ice, boat spawn is significantly at a disadvantage. Also add Random Steppe, I have noticed that Random Steppe provides a flatter map most times then random plains.

findecanno said:
I would rather have ninja archers, at least you can ambush them in the trees and have room to maneuver. Arena is just so cramped.

Most of the tree areas are on hills, how do you manoeuvre on hills?

You don't need to use a horse. Just because a map has some horse unfriendly areas doesn't mean its a bad map. If that was the case, pretty much every map but random plains would be banned.

findecanno said:
You don't need to use a horse. Just because a map has some horse unfriendly areas doesn't mean its a bad map. If that was the case, pretty much every map but random plains would be banned.

Think you're missing the point.  The entire outline of Battle on Ice is hilly,  thick wooded terrain - it promotes archer spam, hiding, and poor manoeuvrability.  If that's your idea of a fun match then all the power to you - I don't see many echoing your feelings here. It is being omitted for the same reason Random Steppe is omitted.

If people have an issue with arena and are planning on registering a team send me a PM.

Otherwise, let's keep it concentrated on issues with the rules and anything else tournament related.

You guys would have much more success doing this after naste finishes, or taking your issues with naste to Marnid and resolving them that way. He is an excellent tournament organizer and has shown he puts in the work, administrates fairly, and is competent; dividing the community by running multiple tournaments may not be the best idea.

If you choose to go ahead with this, best of luck, but don't expect a BkS team.

We've talked to Marnid about the issue

He even helped some with the idea of this tournament

I believe we have his full support and as far as I know we don't have issues with Naste, the issues are with the teams that are involved in it and the failure of them to schedule matches with other teams

I don't see it as dividing the community.. clans should be able to handle 2 matches a week no problem. (Naste isn't even once a week.. our rate we are lucky for one a month) Guess the key word is "should". Marnid runs excellent tournaments, but the structure is flawed due to teams dodging and avoiding matches and being horrible at organizing a match in general.

This tournament is meant as a way for every team to fight once a week. Also someone new, or one that you haven't seen in awhile. By having deadlines and realistic penalties with this style of tournament I hope to squash the issues with previous ones.

Shame you won't be in it - but that's your choice.

I feel you may have the opposite problem with this tournament, though. Instead of NASTe, where teams take their own sweet three weeks to play a match, teams may just say '**** it' and quit in this tournament. This format worked in Kitten's tournaments, but that was a year ago, and the novelty and innovation that came with those tournaments is long gone.

Wish you luck either way.

Eternal said:
I feel you may have the opposite problem with this tournament, though. Instead of NASTe, where teams take their own sweet three weeks to play a match, teams may just say '**** it' and quit in this tournament. This format worked in Kitten's tournaments, but that was a year ago, and the novelty and innovation that came with those tournaments is long gone.

Wish you luck either way.

While I'm the first person to admit that NASTe is going slower than I'd like, I don't think it's solely because teams are lazy. There's also lack of incentive unless you're on the bottom, and even then it sometimes seems like too much effort to work your way up. It's a problem every tournament has had so far. Teams that get down don't bother getting back up, and teams that are on the top don't really have anything to do but wait. Priorities need to be set by the tournament admins to decide which things are more important for the tournament: broad acceptance and lax scheduling, or a rigid timetable and pruning of inactive teams. The first option leaves you with plenty of teams that play at their own pace, while the latter insures that your tournament will end on time and won't get bogged down by inactivity. It's really a matter of preference. If there's a desire to play, it shouldn't be an issue, but in the end nobody can make somebody else sit down and play.

The "issues" with NASTe that Rhade mentioned all really come down to that. I can't make a team sit at their computer and play, but it lessens the odds of teams actually playing if I boot the less enthusiastic teams off the ladder. The format is intended for over a dozen teams, but we don't have that many active teams to work with, so unless I want the same 5 or 6 teams to scrim each other endlessly throughout the season I have to keep the other teams in place to play matches once in a while. It's unfortunate that they bog down the ladder, and it's been particularly bad this season, but what am I supposed to do about that? Kicking teams off hurts the ladder, and keeping them on hurts the ladder, but at least they sometimes play matches. :neutral:

Maybe this format will give teams more incentive to actually play matches. In the end, that's what I want the most. It doesn't have to be by my rules in my ladder, it just needs to happen. This has novelty by variety, which may keep the interest of teams better than a worn-out ladder system, at least for a while. Hopefully long enough for it to finish. :razz:

Personally I think it's a problem with the community. I'm glad to see a new tournament and people trying to fix the issue, but the apathy and "**** it, we didn't really want to win anyway, it's just a game" mentality leaves only ~2-3 top tier clans with the motivation to scrim at a solid pace, followed by a lot of ambivalent nancies bringing up the rear.

Agree it's a community problem.  There only seems to be a handful of NA teams that are serious enough to competently schedule matches.

Nevertheless, here's hoping that something new/different will spark the interest of the community.

I know Cal has been putting a lot of time and effort into making sure this tournament is successful... he hasn't even been rubbing his epeen in my face on mumble as much recently. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom