Business guide

Users who are viewing this thread

KiriKaneko

Veteran
Business Guide - Nova Aetas V3.0

Introduction

I just started this game recently and was having a hard time understanding how businesses work. I couldn't find the information I needed so I found out myself. I'll present my findings here:

In order to open a business you first need to apprentice in the related skill in the town you want to open the business in. For instance, if you wanted to open a dyeworks in Praven you would need t oenter the guild located in the marketplace tab of Praven, talk to the guildmaster and hand over 375 florins to begin your training, complete your training, then pay the guildmaster to set up the dyeworks business (it will be the only option available since it's what you apprenticed in)

If you then wanted to open a dyeworks in Suno you would have to go to Suno, apprentice in dyeworks and learn the skill again, then buy the business. You can only apprentice in one skill per town, so if you apprentice in bakery and find that the bakery business only brings in a loss then you can never have a business in that town because you already picked the bakery skill for that town.

You can ask the guildmaster for information on how much money each business makes. However, when you prepare to set up the business the value is vastly different. What's more, the actual money you make from the business is not either of these figures. The reason for this is because of the new ways in which businesses function.

Even after you buy land for the business your business is not fully operational. You must visit your business to hire workers and invest in the business. When you have 5 workers and bought all the investment options the business produces as much money as what the guildmaster says it should. Buying these upgrades costs about 5k regardless of the business type

Best Businesses for Each Town

The table below shows the value of all the best businesses per week in Calradia except for the Aztec towns:

Rivacheg - dye - 5200
Zendar - winery - 2400
Ahmerrad - dye - 2400
Wercheg - wine - 2200
Bariyye - dye - 2000
Hashalla - linen - 2000
Tihr - wool - 1800
Veluca - brewery - 1600
Sargoth - brewery - 1500
Narma - dye - 1400
Jalkele - ironworks - 1.4k
Aldurias - linen - 1300
Mithridias - dye - 1200
Tulgar - dyeworks - 1200
Praven - oil - 1.2k
Suno - brewery - 1.2k
Aldeburgh - dyeworks - 1.1k
Halhmar - dye - 1000
Durquba - dye - 900
Ichamur - dye - 900
Yalen - dyeworks - 800
Dhirim - dyeworks - 800
Curaw - ? (I got dyeworks in these when I didn't know any better, I'll update the info soon)
Novgored - ? (I got dyeworks in these when I didn't know any better, I'll update the info soon)
Reyvadin - ? (I got dyeworks in these when I didn't know any better, I'll update the info soon)

Hierosolyma - workplace doesn't appear in this city, do not buy a business here. It is possible to have a business but you will need to own a business in another city and talk to the guy in your business who will teach you (bug?). In that case you can have a winery here. However, it still won't appear in the tab after you buy it so you cant invest or hire additional workers, it brings in 350 denars per week without upgrades

Costs

Businesses cost 8-15k each. You must invest about 5k in them after they are fully established to get the full benefit. You must also pay for training, financial info (or just check my guide ;D) and test fees. As such, businesses end up costing about 15-22k each to get fully operational after about 10 days of training at workplace. Most will pay themselves off in 4 months, some take as much as half a year with Rivacheg only taking 1 month plus the 1 week starting up period. You should buy business in order of productivity as I have listed and be aware that you cannot hire workers or invest in a business while you are in training (your business manager will act like a workplace manager and either train you or tell you to come back the next day for training). You can use your workplace manager if you finish your current apprenticeship and talk to them before you start your next. You can only apprentice in one craft per city and can only build a business of that type in that city, so check my guide or the guildmaster financial info (75 florins) to be sure you are getting the correct business, there's no going back once you choose a trade to apprentice in! (unless you have a save file to reload)

Merchant Guild Upgrades

Merchant guild upgrades do not appear to affect the productivity of a business. Each upgrade grants you 200 prestige (I think that additional upgrades give an extra 200 prestige, or it might be a bug causing +200 prestige to pop up on my screen 5 times). Guilds will automatically upgrade after about 3 months. The only reason to invest in the guild is if you can't wait, but you are better off joining every guild and leaving them to upgrade themselves. A guild won't upgrade unless you have joined it, so you aren't at risk of missing out even if you leave it til late game to join the guilds (you are recommended to join quickly for the businesses though)

Please sticky if this is useful!

Thankyou very much to Quintillius for informing me about business upgrades!

The info of the guildmaster is based on full workrate. You need to hire workers (5 I thought) to get things running. So if you place a dyeworks in Dhirim + fully upgraded, you should easily get 2000 Florins per week.

Omg I never knew this! Thanks for the info, this is a game changer for me!

I just came on to say that I got the dye skill in Rivacheg (for the prestige when the guild gets upgraded) and on a whim decided to check the value. So I made an extra save, built one and waited for my first revenue, I got 1200 for it! That's only one week but it does seem they vary greatly. So am I to take it that the value the guildmaster says is based on 5 workers?

Ok I fully upgraded and bought workers in the Rivacheg Dyeworks for an additional 5k, 20k total. My first paycheck is 5.5k! So I'd break into profit after 5 weeks (the first week is spent starting the business)

The guildmaster only said like 2k, but presumeably thats without all the workers. I'll post more info soon :grin:

Thankyou!

Also one other thing please, I heard you say somewhere that there is a 60% chance per week of a trait event, but I'm at week 20 and I've had about 3 of these events so far. Why?

1) You might have bad luck.
2) Some traits require extra conditions such as being female, a vassal or more.
3) Some trait menus give a better/worse trait of the same type, so you keep the trait icon.

So businesses are actually profitable? I saw the non matching numbers and stopped trying to even make businesses, stuck with housing so far. I may have to get a few enterprises, turn this pile of loot from the new world into a stable income.

Yes, almost every town can have a profitable business. The only exceptions are the new Saranid town which lacks a workplace, this means if you try to apprentice there you can be trapped in apprenticeship forever. However, if you have a business elsewhere then talking to your guy in your business counts as working. However, even if you complete an apprenticeship at that town and buy a business your business doesn't appear as an option so you cant hire more workers, invest or even disband the business, meaning it applies a constant drain on your cash. The mongol city is inaccessible. I haven't tried making a business in any Aztec cities because even if you pay for peace you have to sneak in and there isn't a merchant guild in the street. I'll see if one appears in the city menu when I conquer it

Most of the business give 1 - 1.5k per week with 5 workers and full upgrades. Since the majority of best businesses are dyeworks it takes about 20 weeks to pay off. That's a little longer than vanilla but in the long run you make more money. However, you also need to pay for financial info at 75 per go, the apprenticeship at 375 one off, and the tests at 150 per go. It's still worth it since it's a lot less hassle to set up than colonies and requires a much smaller time and cash investment to make profitable. Some businesses give relatively large returns. For instance, the best location is Rivacheg which gives 5.5k per week on dyeworks, taking only 1 month to make a profit. This is exceptionally high compared to every other business but there were some 2k - 2.5k businesses as well. I'll upload the info in a few hours by updating the original post

Its a shame we get locked in to a single trade, when I asked the guildmaster it suggested wine would make the most money in Zendar, about 2k, its making like 2.6k fully upgraded, which is great, thats more than i make off all four of my current houses, but I have the nagging suspicion that Id have ended up making more money with a dyeworks, depending on how the efficiency and other upgrades work I could see a situation where it could have made me more money. I guess ill end up restarting anyway, so I can always just check then, i slapped down my farm in a poor location earlier to test if the sickle and all that was working, dont want to have to run out into the boondocks to use my farm.

Is there really any point in farming? If you need the money to start your first business or get a bandit farming group going you can just solo cathars for half an hour

KiriKaneko said:
Is there really any point in farming? If you need the money to start your first business or get a bandit farming group going you can just solo cathars for half an hour
To increase prestige, and also roleplaying purpose.

Well the bonus of the farm is food it gives you a lot of food so you can use it when you're at war with all the other kingdom (if you make your own castle before having enough right to rule) but it does lack a Well for water :grin:. 4 Field gives you 3000-4000 florins if you sell your grain to different town and more if you sell the seed too.

KiriKaneko said:
Yeah if you cheat yourself a gun and ammo im sure thats easy, until then you are doing like 2-4 damage a hit to the warhorse riding plate mailed cathars.

In any case i only built a farm to test whether something was broken or not, and mostly just use it as a chest while im non faction. Im debating making a colony, but im worried that will make me my own faction or something and then ill get mobbed by the whole map.

Don't need t ocheat yourself gun and ammo just go to Uxhkal ruins find the 3 chest and the king harlaus sword, travel and visit all the tavern you will find a Firearm seller quick enough that's what i did and buy the wheellock pistol 125 p damage and then just kill cathars and sea raiders, buy appartments.

Dynastiew said:
Well the bonus of the farm is food it gives you a lot of food so you can use it when you're at war with all the other kingdom (if you make your own castle before having enough right to rule) but it does lack a Well for water :grin:. 4 Field gives you 3000-4000 florins if you sell your grain to different town and more if you sell the seed too.
Wait! That's not what should happen!

I did it at the start of the game on a 6 str 0 ps build without cheating. The thing you need to understand is that AI cavalry is horrible at cornering. Get yourself a saber, a scimitar or a cleaver and start the fight, then ride around them in circles hacking at the heads of the horses to dismount them. Once dismounted they are considerably better at turning so don't get greedy, ride around the infantry and only turn in to take the swing when none are nearby. Also be aware that sometimes a cavalry will suddenly run out sideways from the group and you risk running into them and your horse rearing, watch out for it. You can jump if you cant avoid it, it will still make your horse stop but it wont rear up so you can get moving quickly. Cathars have a very narrow range on their weapon, only the very tip of the weapon will damage you and on horseback they suck at judging distance so even if you mess up and they get a swing they will probably either miss or swing to close causing the swing to whiff. Once they are dismounted just take your time headshotting them, I used a hunting bow with bent bolts, eventually steel bolts. The only problem is it's time consuming to dismount them all since with 0 ps and a 30 damage saber it takes about 4-5 swings per horse and the more that get dismounted the fewer openings are available and the more time you spend kiting the cavalry away from the dismounted cavalry. I'd imagine with 10 ps/pd you could kill them very quickly since horses would go down in a couple of hits and you could just shoot the last few down and very quickly shoot the infantry but I always play pure int so I can skip the companion training phase and eventually get to 10+4 skills

Back
Top Bottom