Burgundians

Users who are viewing this thread

Laksmi

Regular
So, how about treating the Bugundians as rebels? There are three options as I see it.

1) The rebellion is already in progress when the game starts, and are essentially the Rebel French.

2) The rebellion is not yet in progress. You meet Philip of Burgundy in an English castle and run the revolution as in 0.95x

3) The King of France is a claimant to the Duchy of Burgundy. I'm not sure how easy this would be to implement, but it would be the most realistic way of doing it.

As far as I know, the Burgundians never rebelled - they just took the side of Edward III when the war began, as they supported the English claim to the throne. Considering most of England spoke French as a first/second language then, it would've been difficult to tell the difference between English and Burgundian troops except for their colours. If you're going for that kind of accuracy, you might as well program the individual factions, houses, mercenaries, etc who were fighting against each other during the war. How difficult would it be to implement any kind of accurate politics in the game? PURDY DAYM. The 100 years war wouldn't have been very 'playable', keep that in mind.

As far as I know, the Burgundians never rebelled - they just took the side of Edward III when the war began, as they supported the English claim to the throne.

Technically I suppose the English are the rebel French. Or vice versa depending on who you think has the better claim. But I still don't think it is simply a case of supporting the English claim to the French throne, although it is perhaps a more accurate simplification than any that I have suggested.

Considering most of England spoke French as a first/second language then, it would've been difficult to tell the difference between English and Burgundian troops except for their colours.

I have to admit that I am not 100% up to speed on the time period, but this sounds wrong to me. Early 13th century nobility mostly spoke French, but by the 14th century I thought it was out of vogue even with the nobility.

If you're going for that kind of accuracy, you might as well program the individual factions, houses, mercenaries, etc who were fighting against each other during the war. How difficult would it be to implement any kind of accurate politics in the game? PURDY DAYM. The 100 years war wouldn't have been very 'playable', keep that in mind.

I had playability in mind when I made the suggestion. I have never been a fan of the argument "It can't be made perfect, so it shouldn't be improved at all." I really enjoy the rebellion aspect of 0.95x, and the beauty of it is that it doesn't have to change the overall game if you don't want it to.

Does anybody else have an idea of how the politics of the latest versions can be harnessed for 100 Years War?

Back
Top Bottom