Brief observations about army & kingdom mechanics in e1.2.0

Users who are viewing this thread

bearmans

Recruit
A couple things I wanted to point out about the way things seem to progress at ~850 days in a beta 1.2.0 playthrough:

The mercenaries joining losing factions seems to be working as intended mostly. However this doesn't actually seem to benefit the losing faction in the slightest, and the reason why seems to be is that mercenaries also can mostly/only recruit from the faction they're employed from. Since the losing faction is already losing battles and thus already burning through all possible recruits, this just exacerbates that problem.

When I noticed Battania was starting to lose against Vlandia, I also noticed large quantities of lords and mercenaries running around with armies of 20 men or in many cases less. Obviously having 10 8 man armies isn't much better than having only 1 80 man army- in fact,. probably worse. Battania got wiped out pretty quickly after I noticed that.

Probably mercenary factions shouldn't recruit from villages at all, and should instead just generate units of their minor faction at a modest rate so that they're actually useful instead of detrimental for factions who aren't already doing well. It also might be better for losing faction lords to be willing to travel abroad to allied or neutral factions to do recruiting when things get sparse at home.

After a not-very-long period of time, almost every lord, winning or losing, leads an army consisting of ~90% recruits. That doesn't seem to change much as time goes on. There needs to be more passive exp gain, I think, so that this doesn't become the natural state of things even when a lord isn't constantly rebuilding his army. It might be better, too, if this exp gain is a flat amount distributed evenly so that lords who can't muster many troops generate more elite troops faster- this could also help losing factions (although, this may eventually generate a reverse snowball under some circumstances).

I'd also like it if some mechanic was available to the player to allow them to stay somewhere and train their army at a low-modest pace. I don't feel like recruits should really be as common for anyone except when just starting to muster a new army. Better that this be somehow requiring an action or time rather than the leadership full-passive, I think.

Also, leveling leadership should probably occur more easily outside of leading armies, it doesn't make much sense that as an independent clan leader running around with a 200 person army for hundreds of days (even with predominantly 60+ morale) my leadership skill is still sitting at 21.

--
I have some other thoughts on how things progress, but I'll save them as separate topics I'll bring up elsewhere. Please share your opinions and experiences if they differ (or if the same!), too. Thanks!

+1 for the merc clan good idea and for the recruit army yes its a problem but they just have to increase the perk "raise the meek" . i use a mod for this and its great but don't seem to aply for ai

Back
Top Bottom