[BoP: Serva] Main Thread (Year: 198 Month 1) Rest in pasta

Users who are viewing this thread

Teofish said:
Classic domain. Whip up a big fuss to make everyone fall back in line. I bet they've noticed we ain't exactly model citizens 'round here. And that a lot of us don't even consider ourselves part of the domain anymore. And why should we? What the **** did they do to help us while Innovaganix infected our worlds? Or while the rogue "emperor" Maxim Harvey tried to subjugate an entire quadrant, and probably even more? What the blighting hell has the domain EVER done for ANY of us but sit pretty at Nueluzon and twiddle their thumbs while we fix our own problems. What the hell do we need this fancy "united armada" for if not to defend us from threats, domestic as well as foreign. So when they ask me to bleed for a war I've that barely even concerns us I say a solid **** OFF! As you have told us with your actions, fix your own pissing problems. I won't hesitate to fire on any Ishamshuk vessel that attacks or threatens me or mine. But I won't lift a finger to help the domain in any way.

pata5XK.png

Global Alliance for Space Administration
(aka Human Domain)

We feel necessary to inform Sean Ari Cauthon that no one in Pel's Aurora is a 'citizen' of any state recognized by our administration. As far as we are concerned the mega-conglomerates which have influence in this region are paying their fair dues as part of the United Fifth, so we dare say you are indeed being model 'citizens' as you put it. News will reach Earth eight months from now informing them of United Fifth revenue increases from the Outer Shroud, bringing good news, and further expansion projects will be undertaken with this in mind. All I can say is well done!

Our requests of you are therefore not rooted in disappointment with regional authorities. They are rooted in our prior experience with the Ishamshuk. In the words of James Grant they are a powerful enemy who is cruel in victory. More so than any enemy you have faced.

I for one am very surprised at how quickly Pel's Aurora seems to be thinking and breathing on its own, believing itself to be the center of the universe. I have bad news for you Captain. The galaxy - even just the tiny human-inhabited portion of it - is bigger than any of us, you or me included. Your worries about Innovaganix and your rogue emperor are meaningless, the trivial petty squabbles of a backwards and wartorn region of space. If you think that you could survive without us, you might be right in some ways - Pel's Aurora is not going to starve without our intervention, and despite its constant self-destructive behavior it seems to have largely bounced back from aforementioned petty squabbles.

But when it comes to outside threats - the Ishamshuk - you are no match, my friend. While you were struggling to make a living as a common rabble-rouser with a breaking-down starship, I was there, on Polaris, facing them down in order to relieve the besieged occupied population. Millions died. Millions more people than Pel's Aurora could muster. Does that help put things in perspective for you, Captain? I know this enemy very well. They will end you.

But I'm going on a tangent. I'll answer your questions, as they are justified. The threat posed by the former regional branch of Innovaganix had the potential to be galactic in scale. Some of the more pessimistic among us believed the Second Great Plague was about to start. Help was considered, but my colleague Admiral Blanchard reported that our doctors have verified that Innovaganix had developed and began dissemination of a cure, and shortly thereafter was defeated by the regional coalition. As far as we know the death toll caused directly by the virus was less than 50,000 people (high estimate) - which simply does not register in a population of 20 billion. Letting you solve your own problems is the smart thing to do when, as you say Captain, it barely concerns us.

We did not believe for more than an hour or so that Maxim Harvey's little empire would last long. He took advantage of a brief power vacuum that everyone knew was temporary. And seeing as  how we are just as reliant on dark matter fuel as you are, we would be foolish to defy Maxim while he still controlled that boson star. I dare say our trust in the region to police itself on this minor affair was indeed well-placed, as dark matter prices remain relatively low - for all.

It also should be said that you get out of us what you put in. Our attempts to aid regional development of Pel's Aurora were stifled by local lack of cooperation and constant war. My subordinate Blanchard tells me that several projects put forward by our charter partner InTran which would have benefited all of you were ignored by all colonies ... with the notable exception of the Dracona Republic, who always answered our call. Sadly the spare surplus resources of one poor frontier colony were not enough to commence our projects. A shame you were all too busy killing each other.

Regardless of the United Armada's stance on non-interference in conflicts among humans (barring special circumstances) this is not a problem that Pel's Aurora can fix, and it's not our problem. To be honest captain, if Pel's Aurora were lost I doubt my superiors back at Earth would notice. You only exist because the region was reported to have a high density of boson stars - which was proven true - but it will be years, at the present rate, before the production of Pel's Aurora's several boson stars matches even just Formos or Durre Manthor in distant zones. We can afford to lose you for now. This is entirely your problem, if the reports are true, and we are ready to assist - if the locals are cooperative with their obligation to provide for the United Armada in times of war with an alien threat.[1] If history is to repeat itself however... I fear you are all - yes, all of you - doomed.

Stay safe.
Viktoria Lockwood, Admiral of the Fleet, Outer Shroud Sector Command, United Armada

latest

Order of the Soaring Eagle

Our "friends" representing Earth are only telling you part of the story. Don't listen to their reasoning for not intervening in your local troubles. The truth is the United Armada wants to avoid getting involved in complex regional politics for fear of making the wrong decision. Wars among humans are a tad complicated, I'll grant them that. But I would wager the wars which raged on in Pel's Aurora were of a special nature. As Viktoria mentions but glosses over, the virus created by Innovaganix was a threat that transcended this region. It threatened Earth's partnership with the Congress of Madapar, threatened interstellar trade, and well, naturally would have exacted a cost in human life. While the Domain was busy pretending to not be fellating Maxim Harvey for his precious boson star's produce and fearing corporate retaliation, the Order was helping all of you. Order warships participated with a significant role in the war against Innovaganix as well as the War on Triterra, and our clerics worked in the laboratory alongside a league of other doctors to produce a cure - which did inevitably come to be, though Innovaganix was also successful in producing their own. Even now, Order Paladins are stationed on Kalonda providing aid and relief to a world engulfed in civil war.

The Order has been busy making friends among the denizens of Pel's Aurora while the United Armada gets bogged down in bureaucracy and overextension. Forget the protection they promise - Earth doesn't care about you. But Hercules[2] does and we have shown that. Accept our protection once again and we shall show these Ishamshuk what for!

Chapter Master Cristian Vasile
Chapter Patron Iulian Constantin
Chapter 'Phoenix'

---

[1] - Referring to the Treaty of Tokyo's Concordance, which among other things, in theory, unites all capable human militaries together in the event of attack by a non-human force. The treaty was made 198 years ago, 2000 light years away. Viktoria's interpretation is that support must be provided, but it can also be understood more simply that human colonies should at least not deliberately impede the United Armada's efforts.
[2] - Hercules, in the Alpha Centauri star system - headquarters of the Order of the Soaring Eagle and its Grandmaster.

As my friends in the order so eloquently talked around. If we have to do everything ourselves, why the **** do we need you at all? If we're expected to police ourselves against the bloody corporations you nitwits back on Talámh have seen fit to let ravage the width and breadth of your "domain", or figure out for ourselves how to depose our own tyrants. What do YOU actually pissing do for US? Except accept your monthly bribe from the corps to let them continue to exploit the people as they wish. And what guarantees do we have that wonderful laissez-faire approach you have to governing your own frontier doesn't suddenly strike you as equally convenient when an Ishamshuk fleet enters the sector? The very point of a governing entity, the very reason we humans began slowly adapting to modern hierarchies, was to centralise the power, the money, the experience and the will to act in the best interests of ALL of its citizens. Regardless of income level, social caste or location within the entity's borders. You speak of InTran as if they were an ideal fund, simply wishing to shower colonies with the means to thrive and prosper. I dealt with InTran, or tried. I've spoken to to others who have also been subjected to their abhorrent demands that they hide within the fine print of the "Here to help you" charter. And it's as big a pissing scam as anything any other corporation says. Only most of them at least have the decency to tell you outright that they're ****ing you up the cáchole, and you don't have a say in the matter. Once again, if you all on Nueluzon caught a stray whiff of SPADES and choked on your own blood today, no one in the region at large would care, miss you, or even probably notice.

The dishonesty with which this dialogue is held forces me to point out a few "details".

Firstly, the very poor choice of words especially on part of Mr. Cauthon seems to be less than productive when talking to officials of the Human Domain. I would like to ask all individuals involved for a more polite tone. That would aid in easing the tensions, don’t you think?

Addressing the main point of Admiral Lockwood and her implication of "rational ignorance" for this region’s concerns, I strikes me as quite hypocritical indeed. While I do not agree with the accusations brought forth by Mr. Cauthon, I can’t agree with the way you are describing your involvement in Pel’s Aurora, either.

Am I to believe that the operations of InTran in this region were just coincidental? Did this in turn just lead to a symbolic, desultory involvement of the Domain as a show of "good faith"? Is the immense concentration of boson stars just a fortunate event, a serendipitous discovery in an otherwise unimportant story of colonization?

I am inclined to challenge this "official version" given for the non-involvement of the Human Domain. Rather than devaluing Pel’s Aurora into a war-torn, underdeveloped cesspit of low-life do-no-goods, where all intervention would be in vain, I’d claim the opposite holds true here. We are living in a region that truly poses a new frontier, a realm filled with possibilities and natural riches – rife with opportunity and profits to be made.

What is more, the innovative potential of Pel’s Aurora is unmatched in comparison to the archaic, stagnant power structures in the old territories of the domain. This region is not caught in the deadlock of corrupt politics and ruling caste favouritism. Unlike Earth, where disputes are settled through intrigue and deceitful rhetoric, Pel’s Aurora fights it’s conflicts out in the open. This gives rise to technological advances which are unheard of in all of the domain, reaching from the deadly design of SPADES to the ingenious creations of ATOS Engineers and Scientists.

Hence I conclude that the Domain is far from playing with open cards. It would be hard to not assume ulterior motives here, beyond their platitudinous reasoning of creating a "protective wall" against vile aliens. It is the classic investor’s strategy of reaping the benefits while “socializing” the costs of your actions – and how very successful it is. Without fighting a single battle, this region has been tamed, ready to provide in case of a "wartime emergency".

I'd like to therefore end this message by formulating some demands for the greater good of our region. If we are to believe in or even unite against an impending Ishamshuk threat, the domain must first unveil the information relevant to our situation. Vague news and loosely formulated messages of an abstract threat are not going to foster any cooperation: The citizens of Pel’s Aurora need to know about the dangers they may be facing!

Additionally, regional cooperation has to be facilitated through the means of Domain-lead projects, like common development funds or shared infrastructure projects, aiding in the sustenance of disadvantaged colonies.
If all we see in response is more empty rhetoric, it should be clear to all where the Domain really stands. While I have no motivations to discredit the hard-working men and women at Nueluzon, I cannot allow myself to stand idle, either. The Domain must prove they’re sincere in this affair – otherwise, other entities may happen to fill their role...

Respectfully,
Rodi Svarvas, Regional Chairman Executive Officer, Armaments, Technology and Optimized Shielding

Blanchard
pata5XK.png
Atb2WFR.png
pata5XK.png

I am afraid, my friends, that we have no further intention of relaying this petty rubbish to Admiral Lockwood. The warp delay between Nueluzon and Sector Command doesn't warrant the drivel which makes up the majority of your communiqués. If you would like the simple truth, here it is: The United Armada is here to protect you from external threats. We do not lower ourselves to intervene in the internal politics of corporations. If you have issues with them, instead of taking it up with us, why don't you take it up with their CEOs, or your employers? Or have you forgotten that you're all employees?

The Treaty of Tokyo clearly outlines the way in which the Domain and colonies interact, and this was a necessity after the bloodshed of the colonial crisis war. And especially as colonies are possessions of corporations, we would be liable to injunction if we engaged, in the case of Deon Banner, Innovaganix assets without Innovaganix first declaring them rogue. By the time the SCEO Maslanka gave her word on this, SFMS had already assumed ownership and we were thus left powerless to intervene without massively disturbing the balance of power. Roll credits! *ding*

I'm not sure about you deputies, RCEOs, and... "captain-generals"... but we don't make unnecessary bloodshed a policy. Of course it's no surprise that elements such as yours are aghast that we haven't turned our guns upon the first thing that merely looked towards our direction in an odd way. Face it, you are a frontier. Frontiers have conflict. We do not stick our hands in your internal affairs while you would rather roll around in cesspits of blood and death. If you are discontent with the turn of events of this region, again by all means contact your RCEOs. Captains, enlist in the Armada and make a difference! But no, you would never do that. You have made this a place of chaos from the moment of your arrival.

Let's consider just a few events that have happened thus far with the loudest among you:

1) An employee of Lukkastor provoked the Uhara by invading and vassalizing one of their worlds after trespassing in their system following a request to investigate the loss of an InTran vessel.
2) ATOS began a bloody war with Ronstal and seized their assets across the Shroud. Were we to intervene in this, RCEO Svarvas? I'm sure from the perspective of Ronstal, you were the fiendish aggressor who needed to be put down. But no, this was an internal corporate conflict, which we do not intervene in.
3) A rogue Captain now associated with a band of vandals with a long history of aiming to misbehave participated in an assault against the Order of the Soaring Eagle. The United Armada is no friend of theirs, but they are humans and we would protect them as well if they fell under attack by the Ishamshuk Empire whether here or at Hercules.

Did we intervene in any of these cases? Were we to act carte blanche and stop any of you from doing any these things? Is that what you would have wanted? In none of these cases was Armada intercession even requested. We aren't a planetary police force. The United Armada, much less the domain, does not take it upon themselves to mandate what actions you may or may not perform. But the moment an esteemed war hero states pledges to assist against a very real threat, you are suddenly agitated? Because of what? A promise of assistance is that offensive to you?

I'm sure the martially inclined among you are drunk on victory and believe yourselves invincible, but I will echo in part the words of Admiral Lockwood and state that if this is an event that indeed comes to pass, if the Ishamshuk Empire should mount such an assault on Pel's Aurora (and believe me, Deputy, we have detected many more ships than the Galleon you claim to have discovered), you are very likely to find yourself witnessing the charred remains of your fleets falling back again and again as your worlds crumble around you. That is not a scenario that is favorable to any of us whatsoever, but if you will persist in your pride, your arrogance, your grandiosity, your sheer bullheadedness, it may very well come to pass.

To address the final points of Robi Svarvas, I will say the following:

We have made available what knowledge we have, and I, what I am authorized to state. We've detected several Ishamshuk vessels, which is quite unusual this far out. As Deputy Kedves has refused to make his own findings available, their purpose can only be speculated on at this point. Given their number this far away from their homeland, it seems likely that they intend to either attempt to seize control of the Outer Shroud (or perhaps the entire Shroud), or set up a base from which to perform that same goal. We referenced several times the acts that the Ishamshuk are capable of, and we do not forget our dead at Polaris. That you would ignore this and believe that this is some knavish act of subterfuge is, quite simply, offensive to their memory.

The Domain does not 'profit' off of Pel's Aurora. Any profits would be in the hands of the corporations or other such entities, which you number among. Take it up with InTran, the corporation which distributed the charters among them (except for you - you seized yours) in the first place. As mentioned by Admiral Lockwood, InTran commenced several initiatives as you suggested, but they were all simply ignored. As the legal rights are not ours in the first place, it is not our place to commence projects such as those which are the responsibility of the corporations in the first place. We and the FFEL are here as a garrison force, to protect you from external threats, not proverbially build roads. And as such, when the Ishamshuk appear poised to strike, we answer the call. We have made no demands, and said nothing whatsoever that should warrant a response such that we've gotten. But whether you like it or not, we are here to protect the region. There is no other position in which we stand. You are welcome to also serve in this capacity if you so wish, and that would even be encouraged if it were to decrease the petty squabbling that happens as-is and bring additional weapons to bear, but that is your private initiative as a corporation and as such it does not concern us. If that is an issue to you, please contact your superiors and request greater funding.

United Armada
Pel's Aurora Regional Command
Admiral Adrian Blanchard

The planetary government of Olympia politely requests the transfer of more information regarding these hostile alien incursions, what regions of space they have been sighted in Pel's Aurora, and any sort of information regarding their presence. Sharing information and being more transparent will ease relations between all parties within this region of space and those outside of it. As an Anthroson, I, Glacier, while not a human and a politician who has faced great struggle and the wanton power games of Maxim Harvey and the conflict its caused with other entities, have realized that in order to ease tensions transparency is needed, something of which to my mistake in office, I lacked both with my voting constituents and those of my allies during the battle of Meio. Of which again, I sincerely apologize for.

You claim you are not here to interfere with local matters and politics, but that you also seek to assist us in the case of alien invasion. We on Olympia find this a lofty enough goal to agree to, if albeit with a bit of caution given the local tensions that have occurred in Pel's Aurora, and request we share reports on the alien menace. Our ships will report any and all  Ishamshuk to your forces if you do the exact same. Active transfer of information along these lines will save lives and, on the note of any skeptics; prove your claimed good intentions. I am sure that such a request is not too troublesome, given that we too will be actively working towards this.

While I will not be enacting any specific measures and mandates to counter this threat as my term is nearing its end, I advise my successor to perhaps invest in listening outposts for this sector to help detect external threats and entities, and to actively share information of any xenos threat that passes into the system within our territory.

I wish everyone good luck in the face of this new potential invasion. Everyone should be vigilant.

-Glacier signing out.

Marketplace prices updated in OP. For quick reference:

Dark Matter:
B: 21.3 Funds
S: 10.51 Funds
Methanol:
B: 27 Funds
S: 13.5 Funds
Heavy Metals:
B: 247 Funds
S: 123.5 Funds
Ablatives:
B: 1729 Funds
S: 863 Funds
Atmospherics:
B: 57 Funds
S: 28.5 Funds
Spider Silk:
B: 33 Funds
S: 16.5 Funds
Helium-3:
B: 18 Funds
S: 9 Funds
Organic Minerals:
B: 20
S: 10
Nutrients:
B: 40
S: 20

Dark matter prices were halfed, while methanol went down by like 20%. All metal types increased substantially. Helium-3 has remained the same.

Next is freight jobs, then the mercenary update. May or may not put off the shipbuilder update til next turn, will decide.

So who bought 1 ablative for 1694.42 to get that price? Or better said, which people together paid over 60 thousand credits to get the ablative price so high?

Back
Top Bottom