BMP-1 | File backups with the strength of an armoured vehicle

Users who are viewing this thread

hn22M.png

A few days ago, my mod started crashing to desktop and that's when I remembered that I hadn't made that file backupping application that I've been telling myself to write for months now.
So I wrote it, and I called it BMP, which, as you've already seen, stands for Back Me uP.
Bmp-1-DMSC9112086_JPG.jpg

^ THIS is a BMP-1. BMP stands for "Boyevaya Mashina Pehoty", "Infantry Fighting Vehicle".

Don't you think that making backups of your stuff, while good to do, is quite tedious and easy to forget? I do, and BMP is designed to eliminate these problems.
BMP is easily configurable to copy whichever files you want using a simple filter system, and, more importantly, can be run in a "silent" manner, so it can back your things up without interfering with whatever you want to do.
For an example, I use it myself not only for regular backups of my ModuleSystem, but also to make sure my book, which I'm currently writing, is copied safe and sound on the other hard drive partition.
I presume that such tools may exist, but I was too lazy to search for one, plus I wasn't certain that it would work as I'd want it to. This one is small, robust and lightweight, aside from being configurable. What more could you want?

q2bGG.png

Yes, I took the picture from the program and slapped it onto this post.
BMP has a GUI which allows you to configure its settings in a safer manner than the configuration file, and also allows you to change the config file's name, allowing you to "conceal" the files if you don't want to stumble in them all the time.
(For an example, you can change the names to "ZZZ_BMP.exe" and "ZZZZZZZ.randomformat" and BMP will still work. Provided you tell it to search for that "ZZZZZZZ.randomformat". The only limitation is that the config file must be in the same directory as the .exe.)

lpxhK.png
With BMP you can ditch the GUI and edit the config file itself using any text editor. (I'd advise against adding any of your own comments, because the program will re-create the file every time you use it, only modifying your settings.)

DOWNLOAD BMP-1 (20 kB)
Requires the antique .NET Framework 2.0, which you should already have installed.

So, how to use BMP. It's quite simple, really.
First of all, BMP, when out-of-the box, comes ready to make backups of your ModuleSystem, so just drop it in there. Backups will be created in a "backups" folder, but you can change that easily fomr the config file or the BMP.exe itself.
Now, what we want to do is to make BMP create backups of your files by itself, and what better place to put this than build_module.bat which you run every time you compile your mod? To make BMP work silently, use it with the
Code:
[color=navy]-w[/color]
parameter - from the command prompt, from a shortcut, or from a batch file like build_module.bat.
Just add these lines into your build_module.bat:
Code:
echo.
echo Backing files up...
BMP.exe -w
echo Backup completed.
echo.
Here's an example.
Code:
@echo off
echo.
echo Backing files up...
BMP.exe -w
echo Backup completed.
echo.
python process_init.py
python process_global_variables.py
python process_strings.py
python process_skills.py
python process_music.py
python process_animations.py
python process_meshes.py
python process_sounds.py
python process_skins.py
python process_map_icons.py
python process_factions.py
python process_items.py
python process_scenes.py
python process_troops.py
python process_particle_sys.py
python process_scene_props.py
python process_tableau_materials.py
python process_presentations.py
python process_party_tmps.py
python process_parties.py
python process_quests.py
python process_info_pages.py
python process_scripts.py
python process_mission_tmps.py
python process_game_menus.py
python process_simple_triggers.py
python process_dialogs.py
python process_global_variables_unused.py
python process_postfx.py
@del *.pyc
echo All Finished ...
echo ______________________________
echo.
echo Script processing has ended.
echo Press any key to exit. . .
pause>nul
Of course, you can do that with everything you want to backup regularly - just use
Code:
BMP -w
, having previously configured it, of course!

I created this in a short time and a lower-than-average mood, so don't play "Make the new app CTD" games with it on purpose. :razz:

Yup, some guy said to keep lazy people around: they'll always find a faster, more creative way to get the job done  :mrgreen:

Thanks, Lumos.

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. I'm currently using this not only for my ModSys, but also to make backups of the book I'm writing. It's really good to write your own software - you're 100% sure that you know exactly what the user(s) want. :wink:
I'm kinda astonished by the lack of attention, this is the only one of my tools to be... neglected in such a way. Meh, they lose!
didn't know I was such an attention whore. :lol:

On a second thought, maybe the way the first post is written causes people to lose interest... MAYBE. :smile:

A'ight, I reworked the first post AND the Nexus download. Now it's friendlier, but the real BMP is still there. :razz:
Talkng about BMPs, I'm thinking to update this one to support copying of subdirectories. I'll call it BMP-2.

Getting back on topic, I've always made manual backups of whatever I'm modding, probably after I screwed something up one day, and realised that if I had made a backup, that might not have happened, :lol: but this sounds like a neat idea.

very cool and creative program, although my mod is too bad to deserve a backup  :razz:

Lumos said:
I'm kinda astonished by the lack of attention, this is the only one of my tools to be... neglected in such a way. Meh, they lose!
This won't help, but I love to type.
My MO without tools is to make a manual backup just before doing major work, so I can undo any of the new stuff with WinMerge. I build frequently to catch silly syntax errors, even after trivial changes, so making automatic backups with every build won't work for me.
I haven't considered using tools because manual backups are so easy, you copy and paste a folder and put a timestamp (or description) in the name of the backup folder (e.g. "TLD Apr 24" or "Before troll charge test").

MadVader said:
put a timestamp (or description) in the name of the backup folder (e.g. "TLD Apr 24" or "Before troll charge test").
Thats an idea, I just put everything related to that paticular module into a common folder named "BACKUPS", and if I modify files more than once, I put the second batch of backups into a folder named "BACKUPS2".  :smile:

MadVader said:
Lumos said:
This won't help, but I love to type.
My MO without tools is to make a manual backup just before doing major work, so I can undo any of the new stuff with WinMerge. I build frequently to catch silly syntax errors, even after trivial changes, so making automatic backups with every build won't work for me.
I haven't considered using tools because manual backups are so easy, you copy and paste a folder and put a timestamp (or description) in the name of the backup folder (e.g. "TLD Apr 24" or "Before troll charge test").

Using a DVCS may help you. Even in local, just create a repository and start saving revisions, much tidier.
Then you can clone it in a public space, Bitbucket style.

The good thing about it is that you have unlimited private repos. Useful to keep your "backups" in sync.
Branching, diffs and rollbacks are a plus.

Good read about all this: http://hgbook.red-bean.com/read/

Lumos; Very ingenious, and don't forget that during holidays there's way less people here. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom