Big list o' suggestions (caravans, weapons, heroes, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

[P]aradox

Recruit
Just writing things down as I think of them.

Caravans: Have caravans act as traveling merchants. Being able to buy from them would be great if you just want to get some food, a new horse, and maybe they could carry some weapons and armor as well.

New weapons:
Ball and chain - Carry it loose, hold down attack to start swinging it, and release to hit. The longer you hold, the more damage it does, but like bows if you hold too long it slows again. The ultimate crushing weapon.
Sling - A blunt projectile weapon that can be reloaded on horseback. Stones for ammo.
Bastard swords - How about a one-handed carry option as well?
Flail - Good against groups, can also disarm.
Polearms - Why can't I couch my lance across my horse? Jousting was done with the shield arm on the opponent's side and the lance aimed across. You should be able to couch on either side.

Friendly/Neutral/Enemy heroes: Right now you're the only guy traveling the lands who actually has a name. If there were other small armies with heroes leading them, it'd be much more interesting. Instead of just being mad at the Swadians for killing your knights, you've got a vendetta out for Sir Demitrus the Blackhearted. You may not intervene in a battle between Dark Hunters and Vaegir troops - but wait, that's Lord Ampolos, who saved your bacon from sea raiders a long time ago.

Tournaments: This is where other heroes would really shine. A town can announce a tournament that will take place on, say, Day 50. You and other heroes travel there for the games - the town offers a base amount for the purse as well as entrance fees from everyone (so the more popular it is, the more money offered). It would include:
Lists - Find out who you'll be facing, and what your current ranking is.
Jousting - Unhorse your opponent to win. If you kill his horse, you're disqualified. The winner gets his opponent's horse and armor, which his opponent can ransom back. The person who wins all the jousts gets the purse.
Archery - Ground competition at different distances, and a horse archery competition where you have to hit a target from a certain distance while at full speed. Winner of each also gets a purse.
Melee - A group of competitors in a free for all. The last man standing wins the purse.

Personal town/keep: I'm sure this has been covered before. Your own castle, at which you can train men, raise recruits, tax the peasants. However you'd also be able to call a tournament, which would raise your standing in the world. The bigger the purse you offer, the more people will come. A good opportunity to make new alliances as well.

Sounds: Armor-specific sound. When you wear cloth, rustling; leather, creaking; chainmail, clinking; plate mail, clanking. Doesn't have to be loud, I just think it should be there. When I'm riding out in full armor and I hear the clippity-clop of my horse, I think I should also be clanking like a boiler room.

Prestige items: A warhorn to increase troop effectiveness. An accounting book to keep track of money (earn more from trading/slavery). When you join one side you could get a signet ring; if you lose it, you may not be recognized, or if you find one on an enemy you may pass for one of their own. Basically items other than armor/weapons that improve your character. They could even be things just to make your character look cooler.

Followers: NPCs who aren't fighters. A healer to improve troop recovery. A smith to fix weapons. A slaver to increase capacity. A trader to get better prices from merchants. People who get attracted by your growing power/purse and join you. Basically they increase stats just by being there.

Barding: Instead of just having built-in horse armor, be able to buy armor for the horse yourself. After all, your horse is probably your most important item.

New battlefields: A simple plain would be nice, something without hills or valleys. Just two armies facing each other.

Earn suffixes/prefixes: Gain a sir in front of your name or "the mighty"/"the renown"/"the brave"/etc after it. Could be given on completing a certain mission or on defeating a certain number of enemy armies.

At taverns: Option to rest until healed/rest until party is healed.

Ball and chain - Carry it loose, hold down attack to start swinging it, and release to hit. The longer you hold, the more damage it does, but like bows if you hold too long it slows again. The ultimate crushing weapon.

This has already been suggested i think

flails are the same as ball and chains, but have multiple heads. be nice if you could spin in around and and hit multiple enemys surrounding you.

to top off the more weapons list, there could be war hammers, mauls and harberds. halberds are long polearm type weapons that can slash because of the axe head as well as pierce. war hammers are just large blunt weapons that were used to dismount riders. Mauls are just maces but bigger with a heavyier metal ball thing.

Have you seen Conan the Barbarian? I watched it recently, and I thought that the sharpened poles would really suit this game. Think about it. If you know you are being chased by dozens of black knights, you should be able to take up defensive positions. Have your troops dig moats, put up sharpened poles, and dig holes filled with all sorts of nasty things.

That sounds like an awful lot of work to complete by the time the black knights close the distance with you. Oh, and this game already has mauls and hammers.

I like the tournament idea a lot - great suggestions in general actually. I guess it could be a 'job' that you could get - you could go to the great hall where the noble and and speak to a tournament organiser who could tell you where the next one was - eg Zandar in 3 days...

it has mauls, but not warhammers. just dinky little hammers that you hold in one hand. im talking big huge hammers, like sledge hammers, that could send a mounted knight flying to the ground.

I'm pretty sure all of these have been suggested before, but maybe not as neatly. The ideas are certainly more convincing now than I remember, at least.

GreenKnight said:
That sounds like an awful lot of work to complete by the time the black knights close the distance with you. Oh, and this game already has mauls and hammers.

Ok, but what about you could build the aforementioned foritifications, maybe even a stockade, somewhere on the map and then lure enemies there.

Also something I'd like to have but haven't seen anywhere: a tower shield. It would make fighting horsemen on foot actually feasible: a shield that completely protects you. Would also be cool if you could set it in place and operate a bow or crossbow from behind it.

I like quite a few of the ideas...

Prestige items in particular. They could be rewards for difficult quests, attaining a certain faction status, etc. They have them in Pirates! as well.

Battle Horn.. gives you a small leadership bonus
Spyglass... gives you a small spotting bonus
Musical intruments... gives small group morale bonus
Medical Treatiste.. gives small bonus to surgery, wound_m, and/or first aid.
Sacred Relic... could give you any number of advantages
Old Maps... bonus to pathfinding
Signet Ring of x.. bonuses dealing with faction x
Fine Saddle.. riding bonus

Stuff like that would be cool.

Also something I'd like to have but haven't seen anywhere: a tower shield. It would make fighting horsemen on foot actually feasible: a shield that completely protects you. Would also be cool if you could set it in place and operate a bow or crossbow from behind it.

Currently, all the shields completely protect you (at least in the front), which is infuriating. I keep trying to shoot a guy in the face with his shield up, and the arrow thunks into an invisible wall.

yeah, and all it takes to completely derail an archer on foot is a guy with a sheild. it would be nice if the sheild only protected the area that it visably covered, so if the sheild was only covering his chest, a head shot would still be possible. this could apply for melee weapon blows to the head too. of corse, it would require more hit detection checks and code and the like, and most likely wount be possible because that sort of stuff is probabley hardcoded into the engine. then there would be manually controling the sheild to cover what parts you want, etc. its wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more trouble then its worth.

[P]aradox said:
Just writing things down as I think of them.

Caravans: Have caravans act as traveling merchants. Being able to buy from them would be great if you just want to get some food, a new horse, and maybe they could carry some weapons and armor as well.
Do you also think a wagon would fix the inventory problems instead of the purchase system that is in place to keep people from using the heroes as mules?

New weapons:
Though anything that increases with time held combined with horse speed would do LOADS of damage. A full speed on a 9 speed horse I think I get an about 3x damage bonus. Unless all weapons work when held more. Maybe not on a horse?

Sling - A blunt projectile weapon that can be reloaded on horseback. Stones for ammo.
Would give you something to do with stones!
Bastard swords - How about a one-handed carry option as well?
Frankly I'd like to see that as an advantage for great amounts of strength.
Disarming is the kind of slippery slope I just don't want.

Friendly/Neutral/Enemy heroes: Right now you're the only guy traveling the lands who actually has a name. If there were other small armies with heroes leading them, it'd be much more interesting. Instead of just being mad at the Swadians for killing your knights, you've got a vendetta out for Sir Demitrus the Blackhearted. You may not intervene in a battle between Dark Hunters and Vaegir troops - but wait, that's Lord Ampolos, who saved your bacon from sea raiders a long time ago.
That would be very cool.

I'd like to see a topographic map, it's best to fight horsemen with water between you.

Also: What about full scale battles?

One way to get aroudn the shield detection problems is to have a flag in the code for the shields. Say a small shield would have a body flag so any body shots would be blocked but not head or leg. Then larger shields could have body and leg flags so only headshots are good. If a monster shield had all 3 flags then it would be like now with immunity but maybe give a speed penalty.

thoese are some pretty great ideas. Slings would deffinately be a good addition to the game and prestige items and NPC heroes would be awesome.

Worm said:
[P]aradox said:
New weapons:
Though anything that increases with time held combined with horse speed would do LOADS of damage. A full speed on a 9 speed horse I think I get an about 3x damage bonus. Unless all weapons work when held more. Maybe not on a horse?

All it requires is a titanic strength requirement. Like 18 or 20. Because come on, seriously, how many of us could even pick up a head size metal ball on a chain, let alone wave it around above our own heads, LET ALONE do so with one hand while riding a horse? :roll: :razz:

All those ideas are great. This is not my opinion you understand, they're just plain good ideas.

Friendly/Neutral/Enemy heroes: Right now you're the only guy traveling the lands who actually has a name. If there were other small armies with heroes leading them, it'd be much more interesting.

Even just having an enemy officer in each squad or war party would spice things up. Also this game needs more helmet-plumes and banners.

Ball and chain
'nuff said.

I've seen this mentioned a few times and it makes sense to be able to trade with prisoner trains and merchant caravans.

Sounds: Armor-specific sound
Having your movement sounds and NPC sounds included would add to the general noise level in general which is allways a good thing. Honetly, I've been to tennis matches louder than the battles in M&B*. Armagan has said there will be more grunting and yelling but nothing would be more satisfying than a war cry when you give a charge order.

Followers: NPCs who aren't fighters. A healer to improve troop recovery. A smith to fix weapons. A slaver to increase capacity. A trader to get better prices from merchants. People who get attracted by your growing power/purse and join you. Basically they increase stats just by being there.

. . .a bunch of prostitutes to increase morale.

*no offence to women's doubles or Serena Wiliams

Kynes said:
. . .a bunch of prostitutes to increase morale.

Yeah, but every so often your soldiers would lose health "for no apparent reason", and might walk a little funny/reduced speed/can't ride cavalry today.

Back
Top Bottom