Big battle/combat sounds still needs alot of work (infantry marching etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

DennyWiseau

Veteran
The worst offender is infantry marching, especially when more than a 100 infantry is marching/running. It sound more like a dusin of old men out for a stroll in their slippers than men clad in armour on their way to go murder their enemy.
Cavalry on the other hands sound much more believable, it seems a greater emphasis has been put into the weight(sound) of the individual cavalry unit aswell as when they ride in cohesion with other units. This results in the impression of more impactful charges and you can actually tell from a distance when you are about to be charged by a massive host of cavalry.

Put more emphasis on the weight of the individual infantry soldier, specifically the armor and boots/greaves their are wearing. Let us hear the clinking of heavy armor as the unit march and make it sound like the infantry units actually impacting the ground they walk on.

Here is a good example of what it could sound like.

100 is not enough. There are thousands in that movie. But at the end of the day, this is just a game. Send chills up the player's spine.

100 is not enough. There are thousands in that movie. But at the end of the day, this is just a game. Send chills up the player's spine.
Even so 100 would make alot of sounds, even without gear all you have to do is go outside and listen anytime a major sport event or demonstration is ongoing, you can clearly hear the impact of hundreds of people walking make, even quite far away. Also try this in game, setup 100 vs 100 infantry and let them charge eachother, notice that you have to get really close, almost 5 m to actually be able to hear them marching at all. You can actually already hear clinking from infantry with heavy armor its just extemly muffled. I think the major improvement that has to be made is how the sound "stack" or is enhnaced when many units march together. Thats why I highlighted cavalry, because it already does a decent job of it, infantry dosent at all.

Even so 100 would make alot of sounds, even without gear all you have to do is go outside and listen anytime a major sport event or demonstration is ongoing, you can clearly hear the impact of hundreds of people walking make, even quite far away. Also try this in game, setup 100 vs 100 infantry and let them charge eachother, notice that you have to get really close, almost 5 m to actually be able to hear them marching at all. You can actually already hear clinking from infantry with heavy armor its just extemly muffled. I think the major improvement that has to be made is how the sound "stack" or is enhnaced when many units march together. Thats why I highlighted cavalry, because it already does a decent job of it, infantry dosent at all.
agreed. The stacking part needs work. Cavalry really makes a rumbling noise once they're about 100 or 200 yards out.

I don't see many people being opposed to hearing such impactful sounds on the battlefield. If TV series or movies can do it, so should a game, and thankfully we got a post addressing that.

And condolences to the guy in the clip that got stabbed in the balls.

Back
Top Bottom