Beware WINDOWS 7 users - Fire and Sword doesn't work for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Earthwormick

Recruit
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased Mount and Blade: Fire and Sword, and for a day, it loaded up fine and worked fine (except for the occasional “not responding” error).
Today, I started the campaign and went to change the graphics settings because it was lagging heaps, and after I clicked “done”, it came up with the error reporting application and Fire and Sword exited.
The next time I double clicked on the shortcut, nothing happened – it just didn’t load. However, when I reboot in safe mode, the menu screen with “play” “configure” and “cancel” appears, but I couldn’t actually go into the game (because I was in safe mode).

I’ve tried the following

1. Restore system to before I installed game
2. Uninstall and Reinstall
3. Delete registry entries then reinstall again
4. Install to a different hard drive
5. Run in compatibility mode

BUT IT STILL DOESN’T EVEN LOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
I am running Windows 7, but my OS shouldn’t matter because it WAS WORKING for a day and Warband works fine on my computer.

Can you please help me with this problem? :eek:

Thanks so much! :grin:

happy win 7 user here too

You should try updating your graphics drivers, and perhaps change video settings.

Post your system specs

Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
      Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
          Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
          DAC type: Internal
            Display Memory: 1287 MB
  Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
      Shared Memory: 1255 MB
      Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
      Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: unknown
        Monitor Id: AUOA114
        Native Mode: 1280 x 800(p) (60.054Hz)
        Output Type: Internal
        Driver Name: igdumdx32.dll,igd10umd32.dll,igd10umd32.dll
Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.1855 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.15.10.1855
        DDI Version: 10
      Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
  Driver Date/Size: 7/28/2009 22:26:34, 549888 bytes

OS

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.101026-1503)
          Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
      System Model: Latitude XT2                   
              BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A09
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU    U9600  @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
            Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3024MB RAM
          Page File: 1716MB used, 4327MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: None
  User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

I am on the Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) OS. Aside from the occassional graphics issue, the game runs fine without any adjustment. I got the game here at the Taleworlds site. Opening up the game's Configure menu, under Video, Render Method, choose DirectX 7. Maybe have the game run on a compatibility mode?

To run in a Compatibility mode, right click on the Fire and Sword program icon, pick Properties. You will see a tab named Compatibility. Pick that. There will be a selection for compatibility mode. Pick one and test if it works. Maybe try one of Windows XP choices.

i dont think compatibility is the issue cause most of us can run the game without using compatibility mode and the op himself has no problem playing it on the first day

i would suggest op delete the game completely including the folder in my document section which contains configuration file, then download the game from taleworld website here and reinstall the game, it should work. btw u can keep ur save file if necessary

Earthwormick said:
I've deleted all traces of it!

hmm sorry then i have no idea

although i do have a final resort but i dont think it is appropriate to use it, just try contact the support team

Earthwormick said:
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased Mount and Blade: Fire and Sword, and for a day, it loaded up fine and worked fine (except for the occasional “not responding” error).
Today, I started the campaign and went to change the graphics settings because it was lagging heaps, and after I clicked “done”, it came up with the error reporting application and Fire and Sword exited.
The next time I double clicked on the shortcut, nothing happened – it just didn’t load. However, when I reboot in safe mode, the menu screen with “play” “configure” and “cancel” appears, but I couldn’t actually go into the game (because I was in safe mode).

I’ve tried the following

1. Restore system to before I installed game
2. Uninstall and Reinstall
3. Delete registry entries then reinstall again
4. Install to a different hard drive
5. Run in compatibility mode

BUT IT STILL DOESN’T EVEN LOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
I am running Windows 7, but my OS shouldn’t matter because it WAS WORKING for a day and Warband works fine on my computer.

Can you please help me with this problem? :eek:

Thanks so much! :grin:

Run the game in Dx7 mode, it should help to sturt it and set better settings after it.

Hmm first is you need to contact Tech Support. I am assuming Taleworlds can provide support, since it is their engine and they are selling the product. While you are waiting for Tech Support to respond, you can try out the suggestions from the forumers here.

Earthwormick said:
It doesn't load up though! I can't change it to directx 7 set up! Please help me.

Now then you cannot switch to DX7, did you see the option to change the render method to DirectX 7 in the game's configuration menu? If you do have that option in your game, then is there any error message given preventing you from changing over to DX 7?

Well you see, when I double click on the .exe file (and I've tried making shortcuts), NOTHING LOADS AT ALL - not even the "play" "configure" "quit" screen. The only way I can get this screen to load is if I reboot in safe mode, and I can't change any of the settings in safe mode because it just crashes (because it's safe mode!) I can get to the "renderer preference" screen and I can chose directx 7 but when I click apply, it crashes because I'm in safe mode.

Any tech geniuses here? I'm going to re-image my hard-rive at last resort!

Back
Top Bottom